Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Classifieds > Group Buy

Old 05-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def
Arrow DefSport 12.2" Wilwood Superlite Front Brake Kit GB Part 2!!!

THIS GROUP BUY IS CLOSED! PRICING IS NO LONGER VALID! SEE UPDATED THREADS FOR MORE INFORMATION AND HOW TO ORDER.

The initial signup process will probably run for 2-3 weeks before payment is required. Delivery to me is estimated at 4-6 weeks after that (depending on GB volume), then I will ship out from there. Material ordering happens as soon as we get enough money to cover it (and a 9' long piece of 8" round aluminum isn't cheap!), so that's the reason for the compressed payment timeframe.

ENGINEERING DETAILS

The design goal for the hat was a semi-floating design(the best possible with the Wilwood rotors - they cannot be fully floating in the space available). With this in mind, I have allowed for a radial slot where the rotor mounts to the hat that is equal to the thermal expansion between the two materials(iron and aluminum) at a plus or minus 1000 deg F delta. Therefore, the rotor and hat should be able to freely expand and contract at their different material-defined rates with minimal binding. This should keep the rotor from wanting to grow into a "cone" shape that the Wilwood hats force due to being solidly held on one side(threaded into the hats). The hat design keeps the cross sectional area high at all stress paths, yet uses a minimal amount of material. The total weight of the hat is 1.53 lbs, and the rotational inertia is about 40% less than the typical "flat cup" Wilwood rotor hat.

The hardware kit uses mechanically deformed mil-spec lock nuts, as well as spring washers to maintain tension.

The caliper bracket is made from 2024-T3 aluminum alloy, which has exceptional fatigue resistance as well as hardness and yield strength approaching that of mild steels and surpassing that of most grades of cast iron. This is a true structural "aircraft" alloy of aluminum, and is exactly what most bulkheads are made of in modern fighter aircraft. The large cross sectional section enables a very stiff and strong bracket, and the usage of aluminum keeps the weight below 0.3 lbs.

...and don't worry, it's all been scienced:

Don't worry about the distorted looking bracket - CATIA magnifies things around 1000x to make displacement visible. This FEA run was a rough assumption of Superman-style S chassis performance and its effect on the bracket. The loading assumption was all braking on the front wheels with 25" tires and total braking decelleration of a 3000 lb S-chassis at 1.5 G's. That would put actual real world braking in the ~1.8-2G range for this loading case. Max loads are around 8 ksi, which is a reasonable level for long term fatigue life without unncessary bulk. So you should be able to pull ~2 G's under braking about 10-100 million times without worry. I just want to actually see one of you guys pull that much braking force somewhere.

Total displacement at the lug mounting holes is about 0.0015" at this braking, so very low. The stock spindle is going to be deflecting more than that I suspect.

The FEA analysis did bring about a few design minor design changes, so they're not just pretty pictures.

Pushing it beyond the S-chassis aftermarket "well it works I guess" phase, kids!

KIT INFORMATION

Prototype kit shown without anodizing.

Brackets are made from 2024-T3 "aircraft aluminum" - this is the same stuff they use to make bulkheads and brackets in aircraft due to its high strength and fatigue resistance. Hats are 6061-T6 to keep the cost reasonable.

You know it, son!

The rotors will be held to the hat with Grade 8 bolts, high temperature spring washers(belleville washers), and military spec "jet nuts." These are high temperature, vibration resistant nuts used on military aircraft. They're also the same nuts PFC uses on all their brake kits.

A picture of the hard anodizing. Oh what's that? It matches the Mil-Spec hard anodize of the D38999 electrical connector on the back of Stack dashes? You know me, I like to color coordinate the :ballerness:.

Back side

If you want to add Speedbleeders to your Wilwood FSL calipers - here's the Russell p/n(it/s a 1/4-28 bleeder). So now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

"So how's it all look Def?" you ask - budget baller of course!

But does it all fit well? You bet your ugly ass it does!

Pistons are fully retracted on both sides. As you can see - fitment is perfect.

Bracket looks budget baller:

GB run will have both the hat and bracket hard anodized a gunmetal grey.

If you have over 400 rwhp and are running these kits on track, I suggest the heavier duty rotor rings that have 48 curved vanes, Wilwood P/N 160-5845, 160-5846. This kit should handle even the highest HP S/Z chassis on track since these are the same brakes you'll find on many 800+ HP circle track cars. Mine run icy cool (<300 deg F) coming off track with over 300 rwhp. Pad life is exceptional with this kit. I recently got 16 track days out of a set of front pads and still had enough for an extra day or two.

Advantages of this kit

1. Weight savings - Save approximately 18-20 lbs over a 30mm Z32 front setup, about 25-27 lbs over an EVO/STi Brembo setup
2. Low running costs - $42 rotors, and pads that are ~40% thicker and about 40-50% cheaper than Z32 pads will have the kit paying for itself if you track your car. Let the huge economies of scale of the circle track guys work for you!
3. Race bred caliper design - lighter and most likely stiffer than a Z32 caliper - the Forged Superlite is good stuff.
4. More brake cooling up front - the cooling channel in these wider rotors and directional vanes pump a huge amount more air than Z32 front brakes. This should keep brake temps down all things equal.

List:
*No "4 lug" notation means you are signed up for 5 lug(5x114.3) hats

1. jbennett58
2. 2_Liter_Turbo
3. KNerd *4 lug*
4. Bubba
5. Own3r
6. blackej7 *4 lug*
7. WorkinprogressK *4 lug*
8. Klys
9. galantx
10. BAMF_S14
11. onosqv
12. 95silvia14
13. SOneThreeCoupe
14. Jrocks13
15. A.Brent
16. jham4x4
17. speed_demon
18. konjiki7
19. twistedsymphony

Total: 19

'92 S13 - SR20DET, Konis, Sphericals all around

'07 4Runner Sport - DefSport Z-Day Tow Vehicle

Last edited by Def; 10-27-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 PM

I will take one set
Old 05-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to nismofly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post

Your nuts are hairy

Sorry I couldn't help myself
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

I blame the brains behind DefSport:

Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Put me down for a set! I'll have the money within 10 days (waiting for paycheck ). What are the payment details (paypal I'm assuming)?

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
92 240SX Coupe: SR20DET
96 240SX SE: The New Project
96 G20 Sedan: The DD

Last edited by 2_Liter_Turbo; 05-20-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

You guys sure are making me work for this list...

Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Copy and add yourself to the list if interested:

1. jbennett58
2. 2_Liter_Turbo

Total: 2

And yes, payment will be through Paypal.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:33 PM

1. jbennett58
2. 2_Liter_Turbo
3. KNerd *4 lug*

Total: 3
Old 05-20-2011, 09:45 PM

Do you have the dimensions necessary for wheel clearance? I'm ordering a set of Custom wheels in a few weeks and want to make sure these will fit. (not ready to order a set right now)
Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 PM

Passenger side rotor is straight vane and driver's side is directional/curved?

Put me down for a set.