Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Universal Discussion > Introduction/Builds

Old 02-07-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilver View Post
I'm building an S14 for SCCA autocross in Street Modified class with a VQ30DET. The CDxxx transmissions are strong but they're huge and weigh about 140lbs. The Z32 trans is strong and has decent ratios but it's just as heavy. I looked at the BMW ZF/Getrag transmissions but the ratios are way too wide. I looked at the TKO400/600 but hear they don't like to shift at high rpms. I can't cut the tunnel up in SM class so that limits some transmissions. Right now I'm leaning towards an aftermarket T-5 transmission. It's about 85lbs, there are several ratios available, and can be built to handle up to 600hp. It won't be cheap but it's nowhere near the cost of a jericho, richmond, quaife, etc.

For me the draw of the ZF is that they can be had for $400, can handle abuse, are incredibly compact (82lbs verified) and were sold on a zillion BMW's. On a VQ with stock fuel cut, a 3.69 would be pushing it though. A stock Z33 3.53 with a stockish powerband could work nicely I think.

With that said, what is the best bang for buck sequential out there? The draw to them is strong especially with a car that has multiple drivers with differing shifting talent/skill.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 PM

Quaife 60G

That's a pretty killer deal on a Quaife if you want to deal with setting it up for the VQ.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:28 PM

i was thinking just using a a Ka24 transmission its pretty light and turns out it fits better lol. But if i had some money i think i would try a hgt box, they have a vq bell housing option also. I dont know anything about them though if they are good or not.
http://www.hgtprecision.com/
Old 02-08-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
Quaife 60G

That's a pretty killer deal on a Quaife if you want to deal with setting it up for the VQ.
Damn, that is a killer deal. And very close by me to boot.

Anyone want a BNIB CD00x?? (joking....kinda...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey DON
i was thinking just using a a Ka24 transmission its pretty light and turns out it fits better lol. But if i had some money i think i would try a hgt box, they have a vq bell housing option also. I dont know anything about them though if they are good or not.
http://www.hgtprecision.com/
That thought has crossed my mind as well. Dirt cheap. Not sure how long they'd last though in my application.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
Quaife 60G

holy carp. wish I could run a sequential in my RX7. I'd buy that thing in a heartbeat. must stick with H-pattern (dogbox) in that car.

In a VQ application, I would be concerned about the Quaife holding up, especially in an endurance application. I have heard these guys are a bit fragile under high torque/high power applications, and the repair costs can be substantial as you're sourcing everything from UK..
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 02-13-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
holy carp. wish I could run a sequential in my RX7. I'd buy that thing in a heartbeat. must stick with H-pattern (dogbox) in that car.

In a VQ application, I would be concerned about the Quaife holding up, especially in an endurance application. I have heard these guys are a bit fragile under high torque/high power applications, and the repair costs can be substantial as you're sourcing everything from UK..
Really? The VQ isn't making a ton of torque by any stretch. I'm just basic bolt ons and a conservative tune at roughly ~260whp. That's per the previous owner so I need to confirm that. Feels like it's around that range based on weight and lap times.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:46 PM

Quaife are known to be pretty fragile. 260hp would be a stretch on them, IMO. Designed around lighter European cars that have small engines, low torque, moderate HP.
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 02-14-2018, 11:47 AM

There are spur and helical gear options (good for 750bhp and 375bhp as per quaife, respectively). Do you know which you or whoever had experience with?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:08 PM

No idea.
I looked at a 'rocket box' many years ago and the Quaife dealer said they were good for a little over 200ft lb before they start to break things and have wear issues.
The biggest issue isn't the normal wear cycles, it's the one shift you miss every weekend or so that chips dogs or breaks a gear because your foot is in it and you got WOT into the wrong thing.
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 02-15-2018, 05:47 PM

The rocket box is a pretty small box for low power. I think the newer sequential offerings are quite a bit stronger than them, but I have no personal experience. They are used pretty often behind 250whp engines though.

Last edited by Joe D; 02-15-2018 at 05:59 PM..