Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Suspension > Alignment

Old 01-31-2018, 08:26 AM

Hello people! Disclaimer: I didn't make it through all 17 pages of this thread.

Currently trying to get my rear camber under control on my (autocross focused) LS1 S13 coupe with a R33 (basically S14) rear subframe. The front camber pates are at the maximum 'in' setting. I have the VooDoo13 rear adjustable arms at their maximum 'in' (most camber) position. Car isn't that low.

~ -3.1* front
~ -2.8* rear

My car isn't particularly loose considering the powerplant, but I'd like it to be a little more grippy on the rear axle. I tried to run around -1.0* on my turbo S14, I think I'm going to shoot for -1.5* at the center of the stock eccentric. It looks like I'm getting about a half degree of camber change on the stock eccentric bolt (going from fully out to fully in).

I see most of yall are running around -2.0* in the rear, is -1.0 to -1.5 going to be enough for my V8 car or shoud I leave it around -2.0? I have an autocross on Sunday so I'll be able to see how far the tires are rolling over.
Mat #67 - '89 5.3L (L33/T56) 240SX Coupe [XP] - '00 C5 Z51 [BS] - '02 E46 Touring - '07 650R - '17 Z125
Old 01-31-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatBlack View Post
Hello people! Disclaimer: I didn't make it through all 17 pages of this thread.

Currently trying to get my rear camber under control on my (autocross focused) LS1 S13 coupe with a R33 (basically S14) rear subframe. The front camber pates are at the maximum 'in' setting. I have the VooDoo13 rear adjustable arms at their maximum 'in' (most camber) position. Car isn't that low.

~ -3.1* front
~ -2.8* rear

My car isn't particularly loose considering the powerplant, but I'd like it to be a little more grippy on the rear axle. I tried to run around -1.0* on my turbo S14, I think I'm going to shoot for -1.5* at the center of the stock eccentric. It looks like I'm getting about a half degree of camber change on the stock eccentric bolt (going from fully out to fully in).

I see most of yall are running around -2.0* in the rear, is -1.0 to -1.5 going to be enough for my V8 car or shoud I leave it around -2.0? I have an autocross on Sunday so I'll be able to see how far the tires are rolling over.
I run -1.7-1.8 and based on tire temps and wear, I say go for -1.5. Your -2.8 is overkill with the camber gain in bump on these cars.

Also, try bumping your front up to -3.5+ if you can.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:33 AM

camber depends quite a bit on driving type, spring rates/roll rates, tire type and width, etc etc..

on street tires, you'll need to run less camber as the car simply doesn't stick enough to cause the same amount of weight transfer/body roll as a R comp or slick.
for a street driven car, you will have to compromise tire life either for the track or street because the camber settings needed are different. (we all know that, but repeating the mantra anyway)

Wider tires are the same way to some extent as the wider tire will roll over less at a given pressure and thus wear less on the outside shoulders.
Then there's spring rates/ sway bars /roll center/ ride height and the resultant body roll. the flatter the chassis stays in corners, the less static camber you need.

So, I'm sorry but the answer is that there's no magic number for an S-chassis. there's about 7 zillion variables to take into account. put something together, and take a good tire pyrometer to the track with you. watch tire temps and tune your setup from there.
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 01-31-2018, 09:46 AM

The -2.8* was just after installing the adjustable RUCAs, wasn't targeting it.

My car is street driven occasionally, but the main target it autocross. I run RE71Rs right now but my wife has been asking for Hoosiers.

I guess I'll try to get it under -2.0 before Sunday and watch the edge of the tire for rollover.
Mat #67 - '89 5.3L (L33/T56) 240SX Coupe [XP] - '00 C5 Z51 [BS] - '02 E46 Touring - '07 650R - '17 Z125
Old 01-31-2018, 09:58 AM

Yea, I should've mentioned that I'm on street tires. YMMV.

With that said, I don't think the ranges vary wildly for a particular suspension geometry that we are all blessed with.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatBlack View Post
The -2.8* was just after installing the adjustable RUCAs, wasn't targeting it.

My car is street driven occasionally, but the main target it autocross. I run RE71Rs right now but my wife has been asking for Hoosiers.

I guess I'll try to get it under -2.0 before Sunday and watch the edge of the tire for rollover.
If you don't have one yet, get something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Longacre-Ra....c100677.m4598

You will know if you're pressures and camber are actually working.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:30 PM

The car liked the camber, my tires are dead but the rear end hooked up much better.