Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Z Car/G35/G37

Old 12-04-2013, 10:21 AM

the aluminum pan would up the cost because i'd either have to get a spool gun for my mig, or buy a tig. not the end of the world, but an extra couple hundred + dollars.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
New rings without honing the cylinders? Sounds like a recipe for low compression...
I didn't say anything about not honing the cylinders. given a 'garage refresh', it won't take much to run some dingle balls through it and stick some new rings on. The VG blocks are incredibly stout and long-lasting. I've torn down VGs and VEs (which are an updated VG) with >250k miles and you can still see the factory crosshatching on the cylinder walls. don't see much need for more than a quick hone and move on.

As for the 'age' of the engine, you are aware that Nissan ran the VG30E up to '95 in the Hardbody/Pathfinder, '98 in the Quest/Villager (in non-interference version to make FoMoCo happy) and the VG33E up to 2004 in the Frontier/XTerra in the states? Using one of those blocks would negate any savings of the newer SR that you talk about.

There is an entire Nissan world based around the VG engine. It's still a very stout performer and can do anything and everything an alu 4 cyl can. The only drawback is weight, but the Z31 will never be a ballerina anyway.

Given the budget for this build, it really doesn't make sense to try to stick an SR in a car that was designed around the VG. WAY less hassle to just stick a better-running engine in the car and drive vs. turning it into a project.
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 AM

the aluminum pan would up the cost because i'd either have to get a spool gun for my mig, or buy a tig. not the end of the world, but an extra couple hundred + dollars.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM

20 mpg vg
30 mpg sr

12k miles/yr.

Gas at $5/gal

Save $1000/year

Those figures are probably quite slanted towards the sr but even so you're looking at close to 10 years to break even (putting a dollar amount on an appx time to swap).

Your initial question was about fuel mileage. I'd figure either to save the world or to save you money.
I'm guessing the second reason.

So unless you want to keep this car past ~2023, seems logical to save the time of the swap and just fix what's wrong. Then you have saved time, money and have a bunch of new stuff.

The only advantage, as I see it, of an sr, is the wow factor when you pop the hood and the satisfaction of doing something cool.

You already get that with your s13. But do whatever makes you happier!

Edit:
Different figures

20 mpg vg
25 mpg sr

8k miles/yr

$4/gal gas

Save $320/yr

Hmmm.... I'm seeing you driving a vg that purrs like a kitten after this weekend.

Last edited by jfryjfry; 12-04-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Old 12-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
I didn't say anything about not honing the cylinders. given a 'garage refresh', it won't take much to run some dingle balls through it and stick some new rings on. The VG blocks are incredibly stout and long-lasting. I've torn down VGs and VEs (which are an updated VG) with >250k miles and you can still see the factory crosshatching on the cylinder walls. don't see much need for more than a quick hone and move on.

As for the 'age' of the engine, you are aware that Nissan ran the VG30E up to '95 in the Hardbody/Pathfinder, '98 in the Quest/Villager (in non-interference version to make FoMoCo happy) and the VG33E up to 2004 in the Frontier/XTerra in the states? Using one of those blocks would negate any savings of the newer SR that you talk about.

There is an entire Nissan world based around the VG engine. It's still a very stout performer and can do anything and everything an alu 4 cyl can. The only drawback is weight, but the Z31 will never be a ballerina anyway.

Given the budget for this build, it really doesn't make sense to try to stick an SR in a car that was designed around the VG. WAY less hassle to just stick a better-running engine in the car and drive vs. turning it into a project.
I never said it made financial sense, in fact I said it really didn't. It just depends on if the OP wants a project. Sounds like he does and he doesn't and can't really make up his mind.

I guess you can get a newer VG and deal with the work of swapping it, but at some point it becomes a bit of a project. Just depends on if the OP wants to deal with that.

IMO, his current engine sounds like it's a goner. By the time you get that deep in it, you might as well have pulled the thing out and put something in fresher for the same or less money.

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902