Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Z Car/G35/G37

Old 09-02-2015, 08:24 PM

I've started doing it as well. Even without major knock back issues it's nice to know the pedal is firm before trying to run deep into the turn. I've had oh **** moments in 10a at Road Atlanta when I tried to brake late and had to catch a pump midway through to get full pressure; that little momentary pump had me throwing the car through the corner to not end up in the gravel.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:34 AM

Thanks guys

Yes, I had to do the left foot tap, otherwisw I wouldnt be alive...

I was just surprised that everyone seems to just accept this flaw?...

Seems the brakes were designd with WAY too much rear bias and the hubs are too thin, so they flex.
Everybody whos ever tracked a 350 just says: yea, mine dos that too.
I have alarm bells going off in my head and Im thinking how did a car company get away with designing such a poor system?

Really a bummer as I looked forward to possibly getting one, but now the only option is a 370 at much higher price point.

Last edited by D K; 09-03-2015 at 08:51 AM..
Old 09-03-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Thanks guys

Seems the brakes were designd with WAY too much rear bias and the hubs are too thin, so they flex.
I have alarm bells going off in my head and Im thinking how did a car company get away with designing such a poor system?

Teally a bummer as I looked forward to possibly getting one, but now the only option is a 370 at much higher price point.
This is what happened when car companies threw a large fixed multi-piston caliper brake setup on a car that was never really intended for them. Regular sliding calipers mask the flex in the assemblies for the most part.

Is there a way to upgrade on that chassis? On my STI I put on the later model 5x114.3 hubs and bearings and that fixed the issue almost entirely.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys

Teally a bummer as I looked forward to possibly getting one, but now the only option is a 370 at much higher price point.
That's because the 350Z, G35, and FX35/45 are all designed *primarily* as street vehicles. I have 160,000 miles on my G35 and the factory wheel bearings are still rolling just fine, even with the abuse I give them on the street. It's not a track car.

Track use with DOT-Rs or slicks regularly puts 2-3-4-5-10x the lateral loads on the wheel bearings as they see on the street. (how often do you take a turn at 1G on the street as compared to the track?).

What percentage of Zs, Gs, and FXs that all use these hub assemblies ever see track use? it's WAAAAAY under 1% of the total sales number. Thus, we are expecting them to do more than they were designed to do in everyday life. This is not a design flaw, this is 'engineering for a purpose'. Wheel bearings are a common wear item on race cars of all makes and are replaced fairly regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gills
Is there a way to upgrade on that chassis? On my STI I put on the later model 5x114.3 hubs and bearings and that fixed the issue almost entirely.
I don't *think* so. The factory assembly is a pressed-together blob of bearing and hub that bolts onto the front steering knuckle assembly-- doesn't have an axle stub in it like the S13/S14 chassis.. It's not a place where I would want to try to press it apart and put a larger bearing in there. Maybe it's possible to use 370Z hubs instead... Are they any beefier than 350Z hubs??
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 09-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Quote:
Thanks guys

Really a bummer as I looked forward to possibly getting one, but now the only option is a 370 at much higher price point.

Welcome to the world of tracking a production car. Some are more suited to it than others, but in general, they all have some sort of Achilles heel.

A 370Z is even less track worthy for a more advanced driver IMO. Horrible fuel starvation issues, ABS is programmed poorly for hard driving on sticky tires (gets into ice mode randomly).

It's faster, but I wouldn't say better.

Slightly off topic, but I feel like the engineering conservatism from the 90's generally resulted in more robust vehicles that are typically happier on track than later model vehicles that are engineered much more closer to their "design target" - which is not the racetrack, but more like "spirited street driving on rough roads."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post

I don't *think* so. The factory assembly is a pressed-together blob of bearing and hub that bolts onto the front steering knuckle assembly-- doesn't have an axle stub in it like the S13/S14 chassis.. It's not a place where I would want to try to press it apart and put a larger bearing in there. Maybe it's possible to use 370Z hubs instead... Are they any beefier than 350Z hubs??

370Z hubs are supposedly improved, but I don't know if they work with 350Z bits. I didn't notice any major pad knockback on my buddy's 370Z when I drove it.

My S13 gets a tiny bit, but it's manageable. I run S14 bearings on GKTech aluminum uprights - which are approximately as stiff as stock steel uprights.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 09-03-2015, 09:53 AM

here is a quick video from Thunderhill.

This is filmed from my teammates car and you an see me after I (#11) make the pass, iI lock up quite easily as soon as there is ANY hint of trail braking involved...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSYQdEVXGU
Old 09-03-2015, 09:57 AM

I think if there was a way to use the 370 hubs, that would be great.

As far as ice mode, the 350 does that as well. The ABS is removed from the car.
Now, talking about ice mode - that generally happens when the computer detects a gross difference of wheel speeds from front to rear.
Basically, it happens when the brakes arent balanced properly. IE too much rear brake.

I have no idea why nissan did that.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

The car isn't rear biased, it just freaks out with minor wheel speed differential when braking over bumps. Basically very slight rear wheel lockups kill off your brake pressure and you go flying off the end of the track.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 PM

The car I drove was grossly rearward biased.
According to the team, its always been like that and the only fix was to remove abs, run super aggressiv pads up front, weak pads in the back and have the brake bias all the way forward.
This combination was still way too rearward with pedal going to the floor without bringing the pads back.

Precise blips? Yeah. Right.