Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Universal Discussion > Introduction/Builds

Old 12-12-2017, 10:59 PM
Copycat

Send a message via AIM to turtl631

I know. It's all I have time to do when I sneak off to the garage. I did also toss in some K&N air filters and delete the intake charcoal filters to make a little more noise. To get to them had to remove a bunch of fasteners and pull the carbon fiber strut brace. That sucker was cool to admire off the car.

I'm waiting for a chunk of a few hours to get the s13 engine back together. I don't trust myself to get cam timing etc right if I'm rushing and distracted...
Old 12-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Copycat

It's still 2017 so I'm going to keep this thread alive and continue rambling about welders. Still undecided on what machine to get, want the HTP but it seems like a lot of coin to drop for a hobbyist application. I know if I get an AHP etc, it's going to have a problem a few years down the line and I'm going to regret that. I've read enough negative about the Lincoln Square Wave 200 to be leary about it too, but at least I'd have good local support. It seems they're usually fine, but definitely hobbyist grade with some issues cropping up. The HTP has basically no negative feedback online, everyone loves them. I prefer buying quality tools made in countries that treat workers fairly but it's tough with welders. Thermal Arc machines were made in Japan before apparently...I wish there were a Honda TIG with great reliability I could snag. The HTP is a rebadged Italian machine.

The list of potential TIG projects is growing... Backdoor intercooler, full Wiggins clamp conversion for charge pipes, repair alternator bracket, lots of little brackets etc...
Old 12-13-2017, 08:18 AM

Chrome is the worst on cars! Maybe once the baby boomers die off OEM's will quit it lol.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtl631 View Post
It's still 2017 so I'm going to keep this thread alive and continue rambling about welders. Still undecided on what machine to get, want the HTP but it seems like a lot of coin to drop for a hobbyist application. I know if I get an AHP etc, it's going to have a problem a few years down the line and I'm going to regret that. I've read enough negative about the Lincoln Square Wave 200 to be leary about it too, but at least I'd have good local support. It seems they're usually fine, but definitely hobbyist grade with some issues cropping up. The HTP has basically no negative feedback online, everyone loves them. I prefer buying quality tools made in countries that treat workers fairly but it's tough with welders. Thermal Arc machines were made in Japan before apparently...I wish there were a Honda TIG with great reliability I could snag. The HTP is a rebadged Italian machine.

The list of potential TIG projects is growing... Backdoor intercooler, full Wiggins clamp conversion for charge pipes, repair alternator bracket, lots of little brackets etc...
Uh oh, he has the fab bug!

My take on it is if you're set on really high quality, high capability, and made in the US - you're going to end up with a Miller Dynasty at near $4k all ready to roll.

I like my Thermal Arc 186, although now it might be branded as a Tweco 186 from a quick search (Tweco is under the same corporate umbrella as the TA brand, not sure who the parent company is).

200 A is more than enough for anything you'll do IMO. I've had the foot pedal max'd at 200 A a few times for brief periods, then had to back off a tad.

I wouldn't get too hung up on country of mfg personally, more look for quality in the machine. Because if you go down that road, you're likely going to get a Miller and should just open up your wallet now.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 12-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Copycat

I would like to support Miller but used or new, a Dynasty is just too much $$$. HTP quality seems excellent. Lincoln so so, and presumably most of the Chinese welders meh. Honestly if HTP had a simpler 200A option that cost a bit less my decision would be made. $2500 for the air cooled option, water cooler is $500 more. But it comes with a nice torch, pedal, etc so you don't have to play the mod/upgrade game like with AHP, etc. Lincoln Square Wave 200 at $1500 has serviceable but not nearly as nice accessories. But I think you buy it over the Chinese machines mainly for local service and a good warranty. Because otherwise, it's still not made in America and has less features.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:44 AM

If you want to swallow your pride a bit, Eastwood makes decent machines with a solid 3 year no hassle warranty and they are meant for weekend warrior type welding.

No experience with the TIG machines, but I have the MIG 175 and have been using it since 2013 without issues so far. Welded up full roll cages, exhausts, seat mounting bracketry, etc...hasn't skipped a beat yet. Still haven't tried the aluminum spool gun yet though.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:30 PM

The HTP is hard to beat for the dollar. They don't arc as clean as a dynasty and the controls are plain stupid, but once its welding I was pretty impressed. Their warranty is pretty nice too, from what I've seen its exchange so they ship you a new one and you ship your old part back, they break a lot so I guess that keeps people honest.

I just broke my dynasty 200DX. It got kicked around pretty hard since I jump from power supply to powersupply shop to shop as a contractor a lot. I think the IGBT just gave up the ghost. I got a new 280DX and its super dreamy. The miller foot pedal is almost worth the extra money over everything else, but the reliability and consistency is what you're actually paying for.

To do your intercooler you'll probably want the 200 or 220amp machine. My 200 would be screaming full throttle trying to get endtanks stuck onto bar and plate cores, but the 220 would just kinda hum along and knock it out. you're only around 200amp for a few seconds but that initial heat input really makes a difference.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:19 PM
Copycat

McRusselpants: You've seen that the HTP machines break a lot? I've found almost nothing negative about them online. The distributor is just over the border in Illinois so I could get quick turnaround with shipping if needed. I'm not getting a Dynasty, with accessories the cost is way too much and they apparently blow $1000 boards with enough frequency that I don't want to risk a used one.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:56 PM

I work at Airgas and I have to say stick with Lincoln or Miller. Plus, Miller is running their Rebate right now where you can get some pretty good money back. Also, I can look on the private Extranet site for vendors only to see if they have any refurb/trade show models for quite a bit cheaper if you like. I also think there might be an XMT 304 on the shelf in our Louisville store for around $2K or less and it was a demo model. PM me if you're interested.

I just bought a Multimatic 215 for the house. While it's probably not what you're looking for, it would probably keep you busy for quite a while and still retain good resale value for when you're ready to move on to a better machine.

Last edited by LS14; 12-27-2017 at 02:07 PM..