Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Engine > Forced Induction

Old 11-01-2017, 07:03 AM

Default New garrett turbos ! G25 550 & 660

Hey guys .

Do you have some info on them ?

They do have a nice ring on paper:
https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...series-g25-550

finally, garrett uses bigger trim and redesigned turbine wheels ... and efficiency climbs up to 80%

I was ready to get a gtx2867r (because direct drop, only the hotpipe needs some mod), but the g25 -550 might just be perfect for me.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

It's only a 60 mm major diameter compressor wheel. No way it's going to out power a GTX2867R, and I can't really see 550 HP on that considering how fast the efficiency is falling off as it approaches 50 lbs/min of air.

The 0.72 A/R housing is likely a bit sweeter for a T2 response setup while giving a hair more flow, and the new turbine wheel is a nice feature.

It might do 400 rwhp on a DET and the 0.72 A/R housing with the wick turned up, given a GT2871R flows a hair less on the compressor side and can do about 380 rwhp on the small housing at a reasonable level of "all of it."

That said, I assume it's a ball bearing turbo...

I think i'd still rather try to go with a EFR 6258 or 6758... The TiAl turbine wheel gives amazing response.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 11-01-2017, 04:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
It's only a 60 mm major diameter compressor wheel. No way it's going to out power a GTX2867R, and I can't really see 550 HP on that considering how fast the efficiency is falling off as it approaches 50 lbs/min of air.
IDK, overlaying the compressor maps seems like it just might be a better combo. Sorry they aren't perfect, it's hard on a phone screen. (faded background is 2867)

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:38 AM

Quote:

The 0.72 A/R housing is likely a bit sweeter for a T2 response setup while giving a hair more flow, and the new turbine wheel is a nice feature.

It might do 400 rwhp on a DET and the 0.72 A/R housing with the wick turned up, given a GT2871R flows a hair less on the compressor side and can do about 380 rwhp on the small housing at a reasonable level of "all of it."

That said, I assume it's a ball bearing turbo...

I think i'd still rather try to go with a EFR 6258 or 6758... The TiAl turbine wheel gives amazing response.
The 660 has the same wheels outer diameter as a 2867r. Considering the efficiency, it "falls" ... to 68% . The 2867 is down to 60% there.

I kind of believe the 550 can somewhat make the same power a 2867r does. Since a friend got ~480 hp (not whp) out of it on a stock ca18det head, i think it can easily reach 500 with mine (e85, high lift and duration cams, ported, mech lifters, 9k rpm ready).

I am going to wait a bit and see what's what, unless the price is too good to pass up. Or too high to get one compared to a 2867 or BW's EFR linup ...

The ball bearing thing though. Garrett never said anything about it, and they will not publicly answer. I wonder what kind of bearing they do use. Maybe a new kind since the core is shorter too.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croustibat View Post
The 660 has the same wheels outer diameter as a 2867r. Considering the efficiency, it "falls" ... to 68% . The 2867 is down to 60% there.

I kind of believe the 550 can somewhat make the same power a 2867r does. Since a friend got ~480 hp (not whp) out of it on a stock ca18det head, i think it can easily reach 500 with mine (e85, high lift and duration cams, ported, mech lifters, 9k rpm ready).

I am going to wait a bit and see what's what, unless the price is too good to pass up. Or too high to get one compared to a 2867 or BW's EFR linup ...

The ball bearing thing though. Garrett never said anything about it, and they will not publicly answer. I wonder what kind of bearing they do use. Maybe a new kind since the core is shorter too.
Definitely ball bearing mate.

https://www.full-race.com/blog/garre...turbochargers/

Pricing.

https://www.full-race.com/store/garr...g25-550-turbo/

Suspension before power.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:41 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

Can’t really see the 67 mm high flow islands there. But maybe it’s about equal, in which case the 2867 seemed to struggle to put up more than about 370-380 rwhp on DETs. The head flow isn’t great, so you need a lot of turbine flow to put out over 400 rwhp on one on pump gas.

'11 BMW X5 35i

Old 11-02-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Canít really see the 67 mm high flow islands there. But maybe itís about equal, in which case the 2867 seemed to struggle to put up more than about 370-380 rwhp on DETs. The head flow isnít great, so you need a lot of turbine flow to put out over 400 rwhp on one on pump gas.
Here they are scaled horizontally. I couldn't get the scale right vertically in autocad. Regardless, it shows what it needs to when you factor in the efficiency islands from the maps themselves. The new turbine is larger than the 2867, and flows at least 15% more...

Suspension before power.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

Meh, at that price, street pricing for EFRs will be superior. I'd take the EFR TiAl wheel all day over that.

'11 BMW X5 35i

Old 11-03-2017, 07:22 AM

The scaled maps doesn't show much of an improvement.

However, the 7163 EFRs (just an example) were supposed to be 500 BHP turbos and the EVO boys are squeezing 600 WHP+ from them (over 700BHP).

If factoring real life, the real test is in drivability, power under the curve, boost response, etc since they have a newly designed turbine wheel.

However, looking through all the similarities, they almost "literally" pulled the description and design (twin entry cooling ports on both sides of the housing, G series design turbine wheel, oil restrictor fitting in the housing, speed sensor, compact V band outlet, etc etc) straight from the EFR turbos. Garrett literally lifted just about every design feature from the EFR........Apart from the packaging with the internal gate, I will still stick with my EFR unless proven otherwise as the MAPS do not seem to pose an improvement over the standard GTX. If they make a bolt on with a good flowing gate however..........

That goes to show how far ahead of the game EFRs were to Garrett. And just saw FR pricing. Factor in about a few hundred less with street value and the EFR are still ahead of the game.

Sticking with EFRs for the forseable future.....Awaiting street results as people said the same thing about EFRs (bench racing) and see where we are now
Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
The scaled maps doesn't show much of an improvement.

If they make a bolt on with a good flowing gate however..........

Sticking with EFRs for the forseable future.....Awaiting street results as people said the same thing about EFRs (bench racing) and see where we are now

Keep in mind that is the new 60mm wheel va the GenII 67mm wheel. Quite an improvement if you ask me.

Check out the 3d printed concepts on the raptor engine, the new turbine housings are very EFR-esque. Speaking of which, Iím sure theyíre feeling the popularity of the efr range, and it was only a matter of time before they responded. Iím excited for some competition, because weíre going to benefit!

Suspension before power.