Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Engine > Naturally Aspirated

Old 11-15-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtl631 View Post
I think for the cost of having a really nice LS engine setup, I'd rather just buy a C5 and not have to deal with the jankiness of a swap. It'd make for a nicer street car, and what kind of racing would let you run a Chevy V8 in a nissan?

I agree with this, and if I weren't knee deep in the swap right now, I would probably reconsider selling my 240 and just getting a vette. I always viewed the vette as being too heavy and too big, but after autocrossing one recently, I'm a believer in that car. I was even driving a lowly C4. I can't wait for the C6 to drop down below $20K...

Of course, I'm also the type that likes to be a black sheep and do things that the mainstream doesn't do. I also enjoy the challenge of a good project, although I do admit that an engine swap is a bit overwhelming at times.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecugrad View Post
What about the 5.3 all alum Chevy truck motor as the low cost leader.
It's not a low cost leader. After purchasing the 5.3 aluminum block and then purchasing everything you need to convert it to the "car" engine, you would be at the same price as just buying a LS1 car based engine.

The low cost leader is the 5.3L iron truck motor.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Copycat

Send a message via AIM to turtl631

I guess Vettes are pretty big, but they're really not that heavy.

I think the VH45 swap sounds cool since I could get the motor for basically free, but without fabbing abilities getting it in the car will be costly. Actually, fabbing won't help you much, since you'd still need the Mazworx trans adaptor, a driveshaft, etc. And once it's in, you're pretty much stuck with 280-300 whp unless you go FI. Once Mazworx gets some cams out that might change, but even so, I'd be surprised to see over 350whp without more compression or boost.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtl631 View Post
I guess Vettes are pretty big, but they're really not that heavy.

I think the VH45 swap sounds cool since I could get the motor for basically free, but without fabbing abilities getting it in the car will be costly. Actually, fabbing won't help you much, since you'd still need the Mazworx trans adaptor, a driveshaft, etc. And once it's in, you're pretty much stuck with 280-300 whp unless you go FI. Once Mazworx gets some cams out that might change, but even so, I'd be surprised to see over 350whp without more compression or boost.
I don't get that swap at all? It's not a bad engine, but what does it offer over the GM engine or the VQ35 engine? Can you easily get 300whp out of the VQ35?
Old 11-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Copycat

Send a message via AIM to turtl631

If you're doing swaps just to be different, then a DOHC V8 certainly fits the bill. THe fundamentals of the engine seem pretty good, but I agree, with almost no aftermarket, it's pretty silly to build one unless you're just looking for pretty much stock power (or want to build some manifolds and boost it).

300whp out of a VQ35 is not easy N/A, I think most of the bolt-on Z33 guys are more around 260. I looked into this a little a while back and expected a lot more cars over 280whp than I found. For 300 or more, think big cams, longtube headers, more compression, new IM, etc.

Cosworth has some nice parts, but expect to pay $$$$$$$$$$
Their intake manifold is $1200, for example, and a pair of heads is $4600.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz-0GeRp-mQ cool vid, cosworth's engine dyno setup is pretty sweet from what I've read)

Last edited by turtl631; 11-15-2008 at 07:25 PM..
Old 11-16-2008, 01:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to No Rotr

Dollar for dollar, you cannot beat the LS1. I am aware of this and have experienced it first hand with my RX-7. But I am trying to think more about the fun factor rather than just power. The VQ will use its power better with because of the closer gear ratios of its trans. So a VQ with slightly less power will get down the road just as well as a LS1. I think for about the same price I could do a stock LS1 or a cammed VQ. Those two should be very close in performance. But I think that the VQ would be more fun with a lumpy idle and awesome sound. But beyond that point the VQ will cost more to make more power. If I can get a used procharger setup for a good price it would be worthwhile to do that on the VQ. I need to go drive a 350Z and go from there. Its been a few years since I drove one and I don't really remember how it was.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 AM

I'm sure you'd have to do a bit more than cam a VQ to have it keep pace with an LS1. Those series of motors are extremely responsive to modification. If you're looking at the numbers themselves, I suppose a comparison can be made, but an LSx motor in an S-chassis holds it's own quite easily. A V-6's performance just cannot compare to a V8, much less this generation of GM smallblocks. Those engines are amazing for them being considered such a simplistic or "minimalist" engineering design.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 AM

FYI Sasha just built some nice power adders for one of his 350z cars:

To get 250.6whp he had:
- SGM Custom 3” Exhaust
- SGM Custom 3” Intake w/ BPI Flowstack
- Pulstar Spark Plugs
- Aftermarket 2.5” > 3” Y-Pipe

Then after installing his SGM (his garage name) Longtube header prototype

Quote:
the car produced 279.0whp and gained an average 20ft lbs of torque across the ENTIRE rpm band. From 2500rpm to redline these headers made consistent power, a peak gain of 27-33whp between 5700 and 7000rpm.
(Me quoting exactly what he said)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ap9jzeHMCY

Quote:
Because we believe these to be the biggest gains we’ve ever seen from a header/test pipe solution on a 350z/G35 chassis we are going to go ahead and produce these headers for the guys that want the absolute best. Our production headers will be 304 stainless steel featuring a stepped design to help mid range power and prevent reversion, will use 3 into 1 collectors from an outside manufacturer, as collectors are the most important components of an exhaust system. The headers will be tig welded in house at SG-Motorsport and will feature 2 bolt 2.5” flanges that will mate up perfectly with any aftermarket Y-Pipe or Y-Pipe back exhaust system.

Quote:
SGM has plans to create a catted Y-pipe for customers with daily driven cars that want to keep the vehicle emissions friendly, as obviously you will lose the factory cats by going to the SGM long tube headers.

Tomorrow we are sending our tubing to be mass produced and our machine shop will start the cnc process for the flanges. How exciting!
SCC magazine also is doing that castrol challenge and has frickin COSWORTH making a 300whp and if you look at the articles the effort they're going through to make it 300whp and reliable... race worthy, etc... is maniac crazy. It'll be awesome but it'll be crazy.

So that's pretty much the state of things with staying NA and with a VQ.

Last edited by a_ahmed; 11-16-2008 at 07:16 AM..
Old 11-17-2008, 01:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to No Rotr

I have been reading Sasha's stuff for quite some time not as well. He is probably the main reason for thinking of the VQ. If he is able to make 280whp with a stock motor, I think with some hefty cams I could easily make over 300. Sasha's race car makes 300whp with a stock motor and small nismo cams, wow. I am leaning towards the VQ as of now. It will be slower than a LS1, but it should be more fun to drive. And it will be a good learning experience for me and a change of pace. I can just steal my friends LS6 FD when I feel the need to go faster for a bit.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:40 AM

Just note how loud that thing is lol