Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Engine > Naturally Aspirated

Old 09-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Just short shift then. Shifting at 4.5 or 5k RPM is going to make the engine run cool, and you'll still get to focus on smooth power application on track out.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too quick to change the car up to make it easy for you to pick up as what sounds like a pretty novice student. The consistency will come with seat time, and with that confidence and speed.

Just don't wrap it out to redline on every shift, and if the instructor asks you what you're doing, say you're taking it easy on the engine and focusing on X, Y, and Z for the weekend, not seeing how fast you can go on the straights.

I've taught a lot of guys with retard-o HP setups that are common on modern cars. They do fine after they finally wrap their heads around what the car can do. It obviously takes way more seat time to work up to the limit of a new Z06 than a clapped out Miata, but I'm of the opinion that if you focus on the fundamentals and work on them, you'll get there.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clotuning View Post
The thing with the pedal stop is I don't want to lose any pedal travel. I don't want to end up getting used to the shorter travel and then when I remove it my muscle memory has me going 80% until I realize I have to press it down more. I like to gokart alot at pole position (electric karts) so finally I went to a legit karting track and got to use their kart that had rotax engines in them . After a few laps I realized I wasnt even giving full throttle because I was adjust to the shorter throttle pedal movement in the electric kart. That's what I want to avoid.

And gil I'm going to njmp Oct 15-16

And yea Def you're right, wit the lowered power car I was way more focused on where to turn in and track out. With my setup now, I would be so focused on figuring out my braking point that I would screw up turning in. Because my turns are sometimes sloppy my speed is different from before which now Im stuck trying to figure out my braking point again. It creates a domino effect. Don't get me wrong when my instructor tells me what to do I do fine but once he shuts up to see how I'll do on my own, im not as consistent.

Im going to try to reduce the power on thr intake side and see how I feel about it. I'll post up dyno results of how much each mod dropped the hp.

Dude, I think you're over analyzing this. Because you are so worried about getting muscle memorized, it won't happen! You get how it works?? Just like an anxious person is never late for something because they're so worried about being late or screwing up. You're going to have to adapt at some level.

Or do what Def said with the short shift. Can you lower your rev limiter easily? Set a real limit so you basically forced to shift at a lower engine speed.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:43 AM

sounds like a good learning opportunity tbh, embrace the power of merica
Old 09-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
Dude, I think you're over analyzing this. Because you are so worried about getting muscle memorized, it won't happen! You get how it works?? Just like an anxious person is never late for something because they're so worried about being late or screwing up. You're going to have to adapt at some level.

Or do what Def said with the short shift. Can you lower your rev limiter easily? Set a real limit so you basically forced to shift at a lower engine speed.
I'd personally want the full rev range for passing on straights etc. People in lower HPDE groups are in general pretty bad on giving pointbys early in passing zones.

'11 BMW X5 35i

Old 09-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

To finish the thought - if you don't want to go fast on straights - DON'T GO FAST ON STRAIGHTS. No one is out there pushing your foot down on the gas making you wrap it out to redline.

Driving a slow car fast is fun, but I've never been out there thinking "I want a lower powered car," so maybe I'm a bad guy to take advice from.

'11 BMW X5 35i

Old 09-16-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
I'd personally want the full rev range for passing on straights etc. People in lower HPDE groups are in general pretty bad on giving pointbys early in passing zones.
If he likes the feel of the KA24DE, then that's part of the experience lol. Once he's fast enough in the turns to be continually held up by cars with substantially more power, then start cranking up that rev limit. And let's be honest, his motor held back by a rev limit still won't be "slow," relatively speaking.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

Not slow, but I hate riding in a well driven novice car without much power. Both me and the student get frustrated at either not being pointed by and the lead car blasting away, or being pointed by and the lead car then blasting away.

'11 BMW X5 35i

Old 09-17-2016, 01:39 AM
Copycat

Send a message via AIM to turtl631

Dabbling with my C6Z has definitely been eye opening...things happen fast and its a way more intense experience than say my previous KA24 S14 or even my S2000. That said, in an effort to not destroy a motor that costs more than my S14 I've been shifting a little early and I don't always go WOT down the entire straight since my brakes are a little marginal. But I still have the power when I want to pass, etc as Def said. It's fun to not have to wave off point-bys