Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Engine > Naturally Aspirated

Old 11-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Default KA24DE intake, ITBs or upsized TB/plenum/shortened runners

Some background, this is for an S14 I race in DSP. The basics of the induction rules is I can run anything I want up to the head (and port up to 1" inside the head, but that's not an issue here) so new throttle bodies, individual throttle bodies, new plenums, new or shorter runners, are all on the table. The goal is more power (obviously) in an autocross environment and some weight loss. More power always helps, but I don't want to give up any (much?) low end since the car lives in second gear from 20-60-ish.

I've been slowly building up parts for a new intake for my 240. I want to keep the MAFS for tuning simplicity. I was planning on running a bigger MAFS, TB, and associated piping, and dropping the lower runner section and plenum for a larger custom plenum. Basically like this.

A guy local to me is selling a set of ITBs. Here they are for reference.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bya...ew?usp=sharing
My understanding is these should give more power with the larger TB area, but lose some bottom end with the short runners. I'm not sure how much of a difference there would be and if it would be worth it.

I'm not sure what route to take and could use some input.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 AM

You just want to buy the intake manifold I made for my KA? I'm switching to SR so I don't have much attachment to it any more.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:27 AM

Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM
"That Hawaiian Kid..."

Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808 Send a message via Yahoo to KA240SX808 Send a message via Skype™ to KA240SX808

Your still N/A correct?
I run a IC Cold Pipe as my intake and the response and power are nice.
No crazy gains be something above the Short Ram and CAI in the traditional route.

IMO personally running the Cold Pipe, with a Ported TB and Port OEM manifold can go a decent ways.
I'd estimate a nice 5whp easy for those.
I'm running a N60 w/ a JWT Velocity Stack and Filter.
Even just from the MAF change gave me a nice top end gain.

What do you have done so far?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:19 PM
"That Hawaiian Kid..."

Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808 Send a message via Yahoo to KA240SX808 Send a message via Skype™ to KA240SX808

Old 11-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlong View Post
Album about it
http://imgur.com/a/AbUM7

When it went into the car:

Dyno thingy to show torque curve, impacted by the BCv2 cams it has.

http://i.imgur.com/F4FVW1E.jpg?1

Shoot me a PM if you want to work something out, it made 149hp on a mustang dyno, and the block was pretty worn out from 40-50 track weekends and 150k other miles.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:16 PM

I should have been a little more specific and added "manifold" a few times. I'm considering the entire induction system, from the filter to the head. The filter and tubing part is easy, it's the manifold I'm most concerned with.

What are the differences in the dyno chart? Just tuning, or is that with/without the manifold? That's roughly what I want to do, but having runners that short makes me nervous, I need to keep some low end for digging out of corners.

Yes, still NA. I can't make any changes inside the engine or add forced induction, otherwise I'd be in the class with PJ and Mike, and I'm pretty sure having that much power would result in me killing a lot more cones and driving into a ditch.

I currently have just an Injen intake, but I have an N60 MAF and Q45 TB sitting on a shelf in my garage.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:39 PM

Differences on the chart were just tuning. I didn't have a baseline done w/ the stock manifold which I freely admit was pretty dumb.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:13 AM
VIP Member

I managed to get my DSP S13 motor up to 168rwhp with a stock (S14) intake manifold (and a few other things...,). I think that works out to the low 190's at the crank. I'd been studying what to do with the intake, but moved on, and it's sitting in the back yard waiting to be a parts donor for an S14 SM car I'm building. What's your current power level and expectations for improvement? I'd be glad to share my detailed build info if it helps.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilver View Post
What's your current power level and expectations for improvement?
There is some. I would like more.

That's really all I know. I've never had the car on a dyno and haven't had it tuned. All of it is a work in progress.