Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Sentra B13/B14/B15/B16

Old 10-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

An aggressive limited slip will likely still yield lots of inner tire wear on a fwd car that's happy in corners. It's rough on tires putting power down with -3 deg camber, but that just comes with the territory.

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Drove a buddy's race IP3 (similar to SCCA ITC) Civic with a welded diff same day I had my STS (solo class) CRX out at the local track. My car open diff - fights to put power down out of any mid to slow speed corner - does the same at any auto-x - you have to wait to put power down on no R tires (STS class is 140 treadwear or higher until end of this year, and moving to 200 TW)

While the welded diff was clunky in the pits, once out on track it was night and day difference as to how fast you can get back on power and steer your way through the corner. His car heavier than mine, crappier suspension (standard off the shelf Konis vs SPSS units on mine - my car all Skunk 2 arms, with fresh bushings throughout and fresh motor with less than 1K on it) was able to run over 1.5 seconds per lap faster than my own CRX - so even a welded diff is worth more than it's weight in gold on a FWD.

On a RWD car - I hated it in my RWD 200SX race car. Pushed on corner entry and mid corner - not allowing you to get on throttle early.

Auto-x even a 1.5 way diff sucks for us - thus why most of us run OS Giken's. You can get away with 1.5 way on track, but it still pushes on corner entry.

As for tire wear, - rotate them more often. Track use doesn't really care much about direction - I've swapped everything around front to back, inside to out and couldn't feel the difference on a FWD car on the racetrack.

don
Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 PM

Lots of FWD club racers use welded diffs. Gotta be on the gas at entry, but they're cheap and faster than open or viscous.
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
Yes, a limited slip will definitely help with that part.
Also, flipping your tires before they're that worn out will give you considerably more life. looks like the outer tread depth is at 40% or so?
I looked at the tires in person and they don't look as uneven. The "not worn" part seems less than it is in the picture.

The very outside edge of the tire probably has 80% if not 90% of tread on it.

That said, the tire does get used there, just very little. (Not for the lack of trying, I was catching everyone in corners.)

The wear in the picture was accumulated over a single 3 day weekend. It was not even an open track event, I figure I ran at most 2-3 hours per day.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:56 AM

I've seen fwd nismo diffs pop up for sale every once in a blue moon. Maybe an option for a bit of slip?