Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Engine > Naturally Aspirated

Old 12-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Is it normal for NA KAs to not run oil coolers? I've never had a track car without an aftermarket cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
They would penalize you for 50 cents of sheet metal welded to the sump?
Possibly, though possibly only $0.50. ChumpCar considers reliability to equal performance, so reliability mods (such as oil coolers, larger radiators, etc.) are assigned points (or "value" as they call it) like sway bars would be in NASA.

Both series have many silly rules, but both are growing and doing very well. I think they'll eventually be superseded by a series where the organizers better understand racing and its costs, but until then ChumpCar is what we've got.
#23 Z32 Chumpcar
Old 12-06-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeaty View Post
Is it normal for NA KAs to not run oil coolers? I've never had a track car without an aftermarket cooler.
I've seen a lot of IT cars that didn't have them, but Production and GT classes all have them- then again they're running 12:1 or higher compression (Thus far, I'm the only one I know of that runs an S-chassis in Super Touring.)

Quote:
Possibly, though possibly only $0.50. ChumpCar considers reliability to equal performance, so reliability mods (such as oil coolers, larger radiators, etc.) are assigned points (or "value" as they call it) like sway bars would be in NASA.

Both series have many silly rules, but both are growing and doing very well. I think they'll eventually be superseded by a series where the organizers better understand racing and its costs, but until then ChumpCar is what we've got.
Chump is having a lot of problems with management recently- at least in TX area...
Recently, one of the 'partners' in Chump is now an ex-partner and started yet another league that's got even less BS.

http://worldracingleague.org/
That's what I'm talkin'bout!
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 12-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

I don't see why an NA KA would particularly need much oil cooling. It would probably help to have some (i.e. weld about 15-20 fins on the sump and slightly duct them), but it's probably not like we're talking about 275+ deg F oil temps on a stockish KA.

Even a mildly modified SR can do just fine with a bigger aluminum pan like a GReddy on all but really hot days.

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Also remember that sprint racing vs endurance racing.
My car is fine in a 45 min race even on 100+ days. But do that for 6 hours? The engine itself should reach equilibrium within about 10-15 min on track, but think about all of the crap that gets clogged in a radiator after several hours on track. lots of grass and tire crap get stuck in them radiator fins.
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 12-06-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
I don't see why an NA KA would particularly need much oil cooling.
Oil temp definitely depends on the max rpm. Mine was NA and would get to 275F with a ducted oil cooler. Water temps would be 200-205 and oil 275F on a 90F day equalized after 3 laps. At the NASA Championships where the ambient was 55F one day, water temp was 180F and oil was still 250-275F.

First you need to know what the max oil temp is. Bearing durability will be better with oil temps 210-220F.

BTW I work for Garrett
Old 12-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Those are much higher temps than I saw with my ~320-340 rwhp SR20DET on track. I struggled to keep water temps lower than 210-215, but my oil temps would sometimes hit over 200 in the sump, maybe 215-220 peak on a really hot day, but I was having to pull out of it because water temps were going over 220. Before the oil cooler I hit about 245-250 in the pan a few times then would back out of it and they'd drop pretty quick, as water temps were also starting to spike quickly.

I've got a plan for keeping the water temps under control in the future tho'... involves a lil' ~20 lb C&R jobber up front. Lots of weight up there, but having to back out of it because the car can't stay cool is lame. Might also end up going faster since it has an integrated oil cooler, so I might ditch the air/air cooler and lose all the drag that comes with it.

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 12-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
Chump is having a lot of problems with management recently- at least in TX area...
Recently, one of the 'partners' in Chump is now an ex-partner and started yet another league that's got even less BS.

http://worldracingleague.org/
That's what I'm talkin'bout!
Yeah, I'm very familiar with CC's management, but around here they're still growing.

I definitely like the philosophy of WRL and the general intent of its rulebook, but IMO it needs some work. Open aero and bushings? No correction for FWD and AWD platforms, or fuel tank size?
#23 Z32 Chumpcar