Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Engine > Naturally Aspirated

Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Default NA KA24DE oil cooling requirements?

How much cooling do these things need? Figure most shifts are around 6400.

If the answer is "none", then great! In ChumpCar we take a $20 "value" hit for an aftermarket oil cooler. Plus there's no minimum weight, so every little bit there helps. I'm guessing this isn't the case though.

I'm guessing the answer is "not much", in which case I'm going to look in to running a water-oil sandwich cooler off of another Nissan or a Subaru or something. I do have a Gen 3 Viper water-oil cooler laying about I could make work, but would love the simplicity of a sandwich cooler if it'll do.

If it needs an air-oil cooler then I'll go with that, but I'm hoping it won't. We run a lot of oil capacity to delay sheer (yes all oil sheers down, even Motul 300V and even in cold temperatures), and without the coolant heating the oil it really takes a long time to heat up 10 quarts (on the VG; I expect our KA capacity will be around 6-7). This isn't a problem in a race, but it means that in testing the car is inevitably beat on with cold 15w50. Plus I've seen those oil thermostats fail before.
#23 Z32 Chumpcar
Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Weld a bunch of 18 ga sheet metal fins on the bottom of the oil pan and build a scoop for them and shroud the top.

That's the kind of oil cooler they want to see.

I imagine it'll be enough to keep the oil roughly in check if you get the fin density high enough.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Weld a bunch of 18 ga sheet metal fins on the bottom of the oil pan and build a scoop for them and shroud the top.

That's the kind of oil cooler they want to see.

I imagine it'll be enough to keep the oil roughly in check if you get the fin density high enough.
ChumpCar is ok with real oil coolers, and they may in fact impose a $20 value on oil pan fins (I'll ask).

I'm really wondering what a stock KA hits for oil temps though; if they go to 280+ then I don't think the fins will be enough.
#23 Z32 Chumpcar
Old 12-04-2013, 11:53 PM

Can you run the sandwich and then loop a couple feet of copper tubing for it to run through. Friend with an impreza did this and dropped his temps 20+

Looped it infront of the radiator btw.

Sent from Skynet
Old 12-05-2013, 07:45 AM

Another option is a water cooling thingy-- look at the VQ35 and VQ40. They have an oil/water cooler IIRC. I know it's there, but haven't paid much attention to how it works. I know it mounts onto the oil filter mounting location, but not sure if it takes oil out, cools, then returns, or if it flows water/coolant through that sandwich plate thingy to cool it just a little bit.. ????

something to investigate.

Another trick-- do you have a large radiator already? I see several people use "automatic" radiators that have a loop for the ATF inside the radiator. wonder if that would be a 'no points addition'.
Then again, if they can see that you're using a cooler of any sort, they're probably going to get you for the hit.
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 AM

This post makes me think a Forrester oil cooler could work well on a lower-revving KA, so I'm going to see if I can make it fit:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=184
I would imagine these temperatures are taken pre-cooler, so inlet temps for the bearings are likely lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
Another option is a water cooling thingy-- look at the VQ35 and VQ40. They have an oil/water cooler IIRC. I know it's there, but haven't paid much attention to how it works. I know it mounts onto the oil filter mounting location, but not sure if it takes oil out, cools, then returns, or if it flows water/coolant through that sandwich plate thingy to cool it just a little bit.. ????
They're sandwich oil-water coolers, and small ones at that. They act as coolant-oil heat exchangers, heating the oil up when its cold and cooling down when its hot. The Subaru coolers are larger and use the same oil filter gasket size as a stock KA filter. The only coolers I can find which use the same oil filter threads as the KA are too large of a diameter, so I may end up running a non-standard oil filter or something. We'll see when I get a Subaru cooler in-hand to play with (if I don't use it on the KA, I'll put it on impreza rally beater).

What sort of oil cooler and temps do you run on your race car? Is it naturally aspirated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
Another trick-- do you have a large radiator already? I see several people use "automatic" radiators that have a loop for the ATF inside the radiator. wonder if that would be a 'no points addition'.
We use the auto trans cooler in the radiator on our Z, as a power steering cooler. This 240 I'm building won't have power steering, and I'm unsure on how a trans cooler will do with high-pressure engine oil. I agree using this cooler would be convenient, but its something I'd rather not risk unless its known to work without issue.
#23 Z32 Chumpcar

Last edited by gbeaty; 12-05-2013 at 09:27 PM..
Old 12-05-2013, 01:00 PM

My car is NA and I've never bothered to check oil temps. water temps on stock radiator (with no ducting) never go over 205-210 on track in the summer, 185-190 in the winter.

Just never really had cooling problems so I haven't chased those numbers much.
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 12-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

They would penalize you for 50 cents of sheet metal welded to the sump?

'11 BMW X5 35i

Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 PM

Now you see why Chump is falling on its face like LeMons..
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

It's almost like they want cars to blow up or something... I guess that adds to the spectacle.

'11 BMW X5 35i