Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Multimedia > In Car Video

Old 04-29-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantwo3 View Post
nice vid man. im looking into hitting the track but my stock car is way underpowered
I drove a stock car before I got to where I am, I'm not fast, just enjoying and learning driving the car and upgrading as I go. Don't be lame
Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 PM

Lol alright alright im gona have to go soon!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

A little late to the party - but lose the puppet on the shifter, and work on your driving position. You don't have to move around like you are with a stock seat by any stretch. Stop putting your elbows out and adjusting your grip on the wheel. 2 hands at 9 and 3 except when you shift, then hand goes back to 3. Elbows slightly bent straight out in front of you.

You're also going way way way beyond what the front tires can give you. Learn to feel for the sweet spot in the slip angle vs. traction curve and keep the front tires there. You'll be faster, and your tires will last longer. You're also not feeding in much throttle in turns, probably because you might spin with the wheel cranked way past optimal slip angle. So be smoother and tidier with your steering inputs and you can rotate the throttle after the apex.

Work on looking ahead, most students I've had that have abrupt inputs are not looking far enough ahead.

You've got the natural speed, you just need to work on technique and you'll go way faster.

BTW - Recaro SPG only fits a 31-32" waist max, so just make sure that's comfortable to you. It is not something I'd want to daily since your ballz end up a little crushed trying to drive it on the street if you're not a super tiny JDM dude.

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 05-02-2014, 12:47 AM

Great feedback Def. I appericiate it. I will take what you said and do them at the track. Hopefully I can do it instead of going back what's more comfortable (easier said than done type). In a small dude. Originally I was going for the pole position but heard the bride FG rails are too small for the wider seat. I just got the seat I haven't installed it nor plan to daily it. On a hunt for stock r32 gtr seats for dd. I do need to look forward and put more throttle on corners. Still scared a bit but next event I'll try harder. I'll look into "slip angle and traction curve" unfamiliar with those terms. I

Thank you
Old 05-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Notice how it peaks, then falls off. When your front tires are squealing for mercy and you keep adding steering angle, you're just going SLOWER than you would keeping them at their maximum happy zone. You get a nice "singing" from them there - but it is not a squeal at all. They're not silent, but if you hear it over everything you're just destroying your tires.

Don't pay attention to the race tire line, that's more for bias ply tires. DOT-Rs can typically use just a hair more slip angle than a street tire, but they drive about the same, maybe a little more fall off if you really crank them past their max.

You're right that a PP won't fit on Bride FG rails - been there, done that. It honestly might not be that horrible if you're a tiny dude to DD them. I did not like how the stock belt felt at all on my SPG knockoff - so I'd highly recommend a roll bar and harnesses ASAP.

Do you have instructors at events you're going to? It seems to be a little unstructured out in CA at the non-$$$$ tracks. It'd probably be good to get a fast guy (with good habits) to ride with you if there aren't instructors provided.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 AM

Basically find a better line to take the turns or maximize tire happy zone.

I plan on getting a 6/7pt cage on the car, harnesses will be a must.

There are instructors for hire at the events I attend. I've tried to go to events with my friend(been instructed by record breaker at the track I race at) But our schedules really don't match up, plus I don't think my car suspension is set up correctly either. So he was going to ride along, vise versa so I can know what to change/improve.

The group I usually go with are newbies that I'm trying to bring into the scene and FF hondas. I only have a 350z with me and he's really not that great at instructing me haha.

Thanks Def.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOngsterr View Post
Basically find a better line to take the turns or maximize tire happy zone.
First.. mentally slow down a touch- most people are trying to "go fast" when they need to think about what the car is doing and what it's happy place is. one of the biggest issues with n00bs is that they overdrive the car and throw it around on track because it feels faster to be sideways. I can't re-watch your video at work, but from the comments that's what it sounds like to me. slow down and think "smoooth" as you're driving, and you'll be surprised at how much faster you wind up being by the end of the weekend, and how much less tire wear you have.

With that, you'll also feel and hear the tires running out of grip. a long carousel or a skidpad is the best place to play with this.. go into the corner and slowly feed more and more steering into the car. you'll see the car stop turning faster and the tires just make more noise. now crank back about 1/8 turn on the wheel and the noise will go away but the car keeps turning at the same rate. All that extra noise is speed, horsepower, and tires that you're just grinding into the pavement. If they have a skidpad at the track (some here do), you can really find the limits of the car's grip just by driving around on the skidpad for 30 seconds or a minute. you can find the limit of the steering at constant throttle, then start rolling into and off the gas and see how that changes the balance of the car. quite a neat learning tool when you take the time to think about what's happening to the steering, suspension, chassis (think weight transfer), and tires.

Looking ahead is also a huge thing- safety wise as well as speed. you'll get to where you watch guy enter a turn 100 yards ahead and know he's going to spin on corner exit. you're then mentally prepared to slow a little more and avoid him as he's stopped backwards in the middle of the track..
You will also find yourself turning in later and smoother vs. just aiming for the apex cone and then worrying about where to go next. before you even enter the corner, you need to be looking at- and past- the exit so you know where to aim at corner entry so you put your car where you want it at the exit. (remember that guy that spun and is sitting in the middle of the line at the exit? )

Finally, I know how much fun it is to mod the car to make it faster, but keep in mind that the biggest mods needed are the driver. Get you a seat & harness that you're comfortable and secure in so that you can drive. after that, spend your money on seat time and instruction and you'll be AMAZED how much time ticks off.
I loaned my car out to a friend a few years ago and he had done several events in his B14 SE-R prior. he was talking about getting a turbo and some Hoosiers and blah blah blah for his B14 just because my car was SOOOO much faster. I timed a couple of his laps and he was running 2:30s on that track. I was running 2:03s at the time on the same car and same tires. So there was roughly 30 seconds difference between drivers on the same car, same track, same day. It ain't about what's done to the car.

Fast forward about 5 years and yes I've done things to the car since then. However, I'm down to a 1:58 at the same track and the previous race I was running a 2:01 on the same track, same tires, no change in the car. I don't know WHAT I did in the last year, but my driving has improved by 2-3 seconds at every track I've been to, and I haven't done a thing to the car other than maintenance.
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy

Last edited by Matt93SE; 05-14-2014 at 06:53 AM..
Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

It's the KA - it's loosened itself up into a full race-build for +25 HP.

Is it at TWS where you ran a 1:58? That's pretty quick, although that track really punishes poor gearing (I hold the exact same speed after just 100-150 yards on the front straight all the way to the braking zone for the next corner going both directions).

Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 AM

Yeah, TWS..
Gearing in the KA tranny is stupid bad with the power my engine makes. I shift to 5th at start/finish and gain just a couple mph from there to turn in. I haven't run the track CW in yeeeears- way before I bothered with timing anything.

As for power, I certainly haven't gained that much! I can't pull a top-flight SM on the straights until over 100mph, which is where the aero starts kicking in and it seems the 240 is a touch slipperier than a jellybean-shaped Miata. point being, using the same p/w as a front running SM puts my car at roughly 150whp. given the few things I've done to the engine, 120k miles with 30k track miles, stock ECU, then that passes the smell test.
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 05-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Noted.

Thanks Matt, now I wait til December for a cooler event.
Trying my best to get in seat time.