Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Sentra B13/B14/B15/B16

Old 08-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Default B13 with VE...anybody running a drysump setup?

I realize my question is rather unique. I'm rebuilding a '91 B13 which is set up for road racing. Aside from being FWD, it has a SR20VE with a centrifugal supercharger (Vortech).

I have some concerns with the stock oiling system being able to handle the engine rpms and the g-forces the car will be putting into it. Adding to that, we have a much larger wheel and tire combo, I'm completely revamping the suspension, and I will be doing a lot of aero mods to the car over the winter (previously there were no aero mods). I'm pretty sure I'm flirting with disaster if I leave the stock oiling system alone.

I'm not looking for a complete bolt on kit, my budget won't allow for it. However I'm not sure how to size the oil pump for this engine, and am wondering if the ARE dry sump pan (for SR20DET) is suitable for a FWD application. Heck, I don't even know if the DE and VE pans are interchangeable.

I'm pretty much restricted to running the oil pump at the lower rear of the engine. The supercharger takes up all the space up front. I still need to figure placement of the alternator and PS pump in addition to a dry sump pump.

Has anyone had any experience with dry sumping a FWD VE application?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Legere
Old 08-13-2011, 04:02 PM

Have absolutely nothing to contribute other than that sounds like a fun ride. Care to share some pics and build details?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 AM

Well, the car is currently disassembled for the most part. I'm still working on the wide body conversion (not actively though) and have decided to do a bunch of mechanical upgrades.

I've got a floor-mounted Tilton pedalbox, I'm building a tubular front suspension crossmember with relocated pickup points and tubular a-arms, as well as a completely new rear suspension arms and pickup locations. I have to revise the cage a bit to allow for moving the seat rearwards. This of course entails a longer and lower steering column position, and a relocated shifter. I'm adding a steering quickener to the mix too.

I already cut off the front end sheetmetal and moved the radiator and intercooler around, then fab'd some alloy headlight covers. Having headlights was silly, the car was far from street legal anyway and I saved 10 lbs.

Right now I'm scraping the undercarriage clean of all seam sealer and undercoating. I have a few rust spots to attend too, then I will be painting everything on the bottom of the car either light grey or white for the reflective value. The black just sucks the light up and makes it hard to see things.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 AM

Looks like nice little project!!

What type of racing are you doing with it?

I just put a wilwood swing-mount pedal setup in my car before the last race, and I'm having some growing pains. nothing major, but I just can't get the bias right. so much for listening to Wilwood for the master cylinder sizing!!
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 08-14-2011, 11:44 AM

It has a NASA logbook, and was running in ST-2 previously. I want to try to pump up the torque but keep the HP where it is. I may have to add ballast to keep it legal, as I've removed a lot of weight from the car (mostly up front).

It will also run in some hillclimbs and HPDE's.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:46 PM
NRR Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to PerilousActs

A.R.E. makes a pan:
http://www.drysump.com/NissanDatsun.htm
Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerilousActs View Post
Yup, I mentioned that here:

Quote:
I'm not looking for a complete bolt on kit, my budget won't allow for it. However I'm not sure how to size the oil pump for this engine, and am wondering if the ARE dry sump pan (for SR20DET) is suitable for a FWD application. Heck, I don't even know if the DE and VE pans are interchangeable.
But I still don't know if that's designed for north-south or east-west orientation, and I don't know if it fits the VE bottom end properly. I seem to recall the DE and the VE having very different stock oil pans.

Anybody have any first-hand experience?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:24 PM

The only experience I have with them is seeing one on a friend's KA-E. You might try some of the GT road racing forums, as there are a few guys using FWD SR20s in their GT3 and GT-lite cars and you might get some useful info from there.

Also, have you tried calling ARE directly? those guys don't blow smoke.. if they know will or won't work, they'll tell you.
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 AM

Part #1155 Nissan SR20DET/DE (Also fits FWD & VE, will not fit AWD engines)
that info came from a thread about this race motor from Peru
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerb240 View Post
Part #1155 Nissan SR20DET/DE (Also fits FWD & VE, will not fit AWD engines)
that info came from a thread about this race motor from Peru
Thank you. Not cheap at $594 for just the pan, but at this point in the build what's a few more dollars?