Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Sentra B13/B14/B15/B16

Old 09-10-2011, 10:28 PM

So with a bit of Dumb Luck, i ended up buying a set of suspension off a guy that i missed out on about 1 year and a bit ago. He bought them, sat it in a cupboard for a while and never installed it so i bought them from him nice 'n cheap.

They are made by Fulcrum Suspension in Queensland Australia. They were not very common due to their RRP at the time of around AUD$2000. I now realise why they were so expensive. They're Bilsteins ! Rears are a 36mm piston (currently got 46mm ones in the car) and the fronts are same piston size insert as the 3000GT, but shorter length (by a fair bit).

Unfortunately there's a few problems with them, but for the price i got them for they're worth fixing up for sure. One front had damper oil inside the tube, one rear brings a noticeable amount of damper oil out on the rod per stroke and the rear top mounts were both missing the washer that stops the shaft going through the top mount somehow! so both shafts have got wear near the shoulder just before the chrome and must have been making a hell of a lot of noise to whomever had them installed last.

No idea on spring rates or valving or anything, even the company that made them doesn't seem to have that info (or so they said last time i spoke to them). This will however solve my issue of spring heights (or lack of height adjustability with the fixed perch setup i have now). Might get them serviced, spec up the valving thats in there and see what its like as they were made to be a sporty option rather than a comfort one.

I'm still going to persist with finishing the other setup as i've put a lot of time and money into it, just been a bit busy to work much on it lately and have to get a few things machined up which is always a hassle around here.

Anyways a few pictures for fun.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:21 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Sunny

how's the compression and rebound on the front bilstein insert, does it feel pretty strong or dead? if still alive then i'm guessing they must have added the oil in there for extra cooling?

i just took apart my Bilstein inserts and found the cause of the bottoming out (happen's only in certain parts of Subic Raceway here in the philippines) but no bottoming out in normal driving conditions and spirited driving anywhere else. Strong on compression and rebound.

it was just a Destroyed to bits Internal bumpstop, no leaks anywhere

Tevs
Old 07-19-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
how's the compression and rebound on the front bilstein insert, does it feel pretty strong or dead? if still alive then i'm guessing they must have added the oil in there for extra cooling?

i just took apart my Bilstein inserts and found the cause of the bottoming out (happen's only in certain parts of Subic Raceway here in the philippines) but no bottoming out in normal driving conditions and spirited driving anywhere else. Strong on compression and rebound.

it was just a Destroyed to bits Internal bumpstop, no leaks anywhere

Tevs
Nah they were definitely leaking, not just oil for cooling or anything fancy like that.

So an update on my setup, FINALLY installed in the car. Unfortunately, did a heap of stuff to the car at the same time so its not a real back to back comparison. Changed control arms with upgraded bushings, swaybar links, new set of tyres and the struts all at the same time.

Either way, they feel pretty good. Initially a little too stiff over the small 'rutts' or 'cracks' across the road, but a few hundred k's on them have started to soften up a bit. Bearing in mind this is basically a street car now, i was aiming for more compliance.

Handles nicely too, good steering response, which i think has been aided by the solid bushings in the control arms and the new tyres.

Height worked out perfectly thankfully, same as my TEIN MonoFlex that i pulled out within about 5mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0378 (Small).jpg (25.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:08 PM

Well after a couple of weeks driving around with them in the car i have concluded a couple of things.

On smooth roads & freeway, they are beautiful compared to the TEIN Monoflex i pulled out that you'd feel every single tiny imperfection in the road.

On pretty much everything else they're more uncomfortable which is compounded by the solid control arm bushings. However they do feel far more controlled over undulations and the car is handling nicely.

I feel as though they have got too much rebound damping as the car feels like it 'falls' into bumps and that causes it to hit harder than it would normally. I cut one level off the bump stops before i installed so i imagine there is ample stroke. I need to check the grease marks on the damper to see if they've been hitting the bump stops hard or not.

Spring rates are pretty low though (didn't really realise until i did some searching), progressive 111-152lb/in (as far as i can find) so i'd say that's really causing the issue of the car falling into bumps, the springs rates are just too low to extend the damper quickly.

Oh well, it was worth a try. I'll be looking around for another inverted mono damper to drop in as locally the cost is not worth pulling them out, modifying and refitting.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:24 PM

UPDATE TIME !

So, just pulled the fronts out after having done approx 175,000km on them. Impressively good condition, no sign of leaking and they maintained their performance in all conditions over this time.

The springs i initially ran in them were a NISMO option spring for the HN15 Autech vehicle. They were a little low, i installed a set of JN15 factory springs which raised the car around 10-15mm and surprisingly the car rode much better. This was due to two things. One, higher spring rates (by nearly 50lb/in calculated based on wire dia and active coils) VS the Nismo springs (surprisingly) which reduced the jacking down i was experiencing. Car was still riding pretty bad on rough rods which are basically everywhere around here.

I had a set of brand new 5022 inserts sitting on the shelf, i had them dyno'd and found out why i felt like there was too much rebound, because the amount of rebound in them is just absolutely freaking crazy for the weight of my car and the springs i'm using.

Also after all that time, i also wanted to relube the strut tubes and inspect the teflon bushings. I was amazed to find basically no wear issues with the bushings. All still had their teflon intact and only 1 had a small spot (less than 5mm) where any teflon was worn down to expose the backing and i suspect that was due to deformation when being pressed into place without ideal tooling.

Car is back together now with fresh slide bushings (thanks 'djsilver') fresh inserts (revalved much softer to suit the spring rate and weight of the car by Fat Cat Motorsports) and it feels fantastic so far.

Also small update about the other Fulcrum coilovers, there seems to be more than one valving version released for them over time. I am collecting parts to properly restore a set to working order and once i have access to a proper size lathe, i will be doing the work myself to restore them for enjoyment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FvsRdyno.jpg (20.6 KB, 6 views)