Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Sentra B13/B14/B15/B16

Old 08-13-2011, 05:14 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzmo View Post
Yeh i got the seal with the 3KGT's, but the OD of the tube is too small (50mm) for the ID of the seal which was like 53mm i beleive, i'll need to double check it though. I'm sure i could come up with something, just trying to make use of what i've got i guess.

Thanks once again, blind bearing puller, hadn't heard of it before, but even the cheap eBay tools are expensive, and one that can do a 40mm ID part is crazy expensive (for a one off job). Might visit a local mechanic and see if i can find one that has it.

I found that the recommended way to insert the bushing was to use a mandrel to hold the bush so it didn't deform and so that no 'point loads' were put on the edge which could cause peening. Another hurdle, but i'm sure i'll get past it!

Cheers.
The ID of the seal housing is 53.85mm and the OD is 58.85mm. It's made to hammer onto a 54mm housing with an interference fit. If the OD of the Ohlin housing is more than 54mm you can probably take it to a machine shop and have it opened up as much as 56mm and still work. The seal that's in it is already the correct size for the Bilstein insert. If the Ohlins housing is less than 54mm OD, you can use shim stock to fill in. If you find someone good with a lathe they can also chuck it up and "shrink" the housing by turning it and applying pressure with a roller tool.

I used a 3-jaw puller with the jaws turned around backwards, and a slide hammer to pull mine. It made some scratches on the ID of the housings but didn't affect the function, since that's not the sliding surface.

The Daemar sliding bushings I bought were 40mm ID, 44mm OD and 30mm long. The skinny end of the 3kgt housing is 43.8mm OD
Old 08-13-2011, 05:50 PM

If i don't go the coilover sleeve route, i'll just keep it as-is because the ohlins seal seems to be the right size for the bilstein already. If i have to go for the sleeves, i'll definitely get it modified. Everything just costs so much here to do. A small lathe job places want 50 bucks just to pickup the chuck key and setup the job, not to mention that a lot of them just don't even want to look at doing small one off type jobs. Wish i had space for a lathe here, could make little spacers and bushes and stuff so easily. agrhh ! oh well!

The 3 jaw puller you used look like this one right?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...39#Description

Hopefully i can find a distributor online that will ship to Australia for a small order of the bushings.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
If i don't go the coilover sleeve route, i'll just keep it as-is because the ohlins seal seems to be the right size for the bilstein already. If i have to go for the sleeves, i'll definitely get it modified. Everything just costs so much here to do. A small lathe job places want 50 bucks just to pickup the chuck key and setup the job, not to mention that a lot of them just don't even want to look at doing small one off type jobs. Wish i had space for a lathe here, could make little spacers and bushes and stuff so easily. agrhh ! oh well!

The 3 jaw puller you used look like this one right?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...39#Description

Hopefully i can find a distributor online that will ship to Australia for a small order of the bushings.
Yep, I feel bad for you that shipping adds so much to your projects. The 3 jaw you show looks much like mine except that mine came with a slide hammer that let me slam the old bushings out of the housing. That said, if you can find one of those cheaply and some all-thread that matches the threads on the center bolt you can build your own slide hammer with anything that's heavy with a hole in the middle! For that matter you could weld round rod to the head of the one in the picture and turn it into a slide hammer!

If you don't go the coilover route just look for some scrap pipe that can be used for spacers for the springs you find. The key is to keep your eyes open to stuff that's not even related to cars and you'll find things useful without even going to the internet! Be resourceful Check junk yards, hardware stores, motorcycle shops, boat shops, etc.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:44 AM

Unfortunately the puller doesn't get down deep enough to grab the bottom edge of even the top bush. I have ordered another one that has longer arms, only a 2 jaw, but should do the job. I went the hardware store and got some Z brackets an hooked the edges up (always looking for alternate uses for things). i was able to get a good hold on the bottom edge of the bush, but can't steady the assembly enough to get a good impact with the slide hammer, plus the Z shape is likely taking some of the impact out of it. The bushings have been in there for most likely the best part of 10+ years so i don't think they'll be too easy to get out.

I'll work on it during the week though, thanks for your tips. Might even be able to reuse the Bilstein sliders from the insert tubes if i can get the Ohlins ones out without damaging them i might try and pull the new ones out, saves buying them.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 AM

No dice on getting the bushes out of the Ohlins. They're stuck in there REAL good. Even getting a good grip on it and smashing the slide hammer hard i'm doing nothing but burr up the lower edge of the bushing.

I'm thinking i might be up for a set of Maxima front struts to use as donors to fit the full inserts. Don't really want to do it that way, but i'm getting nowhere fast, and if i can't get the top bush out, i've got less than no hope of getting the lower one out with the setup i've got. I can't even reach it right now. Probably could leave the lower bush in there and just press in 2 new top bushes a little closer together, but still, can't get the top one out.

Cost of a blind puller with a 40mm collet is stupid money as the 'cheap china' stuff isn't made that big, and i really have no idea what kind of shop would even have something that big as most kits only go up to 30-32mm (with the quick search i've done).

I'll keep working on it, but i think for now i'll have to settle for rears only. I have TEIN Monoflex in the front, so its not all bad (they are actually fairly comfortable compared to some), but still, i was looking forward to something a little more compliant.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
No dice on getting the bushes out of the Ohlins. They're stuck in there REAL good. Even getting a good grip on it and smashing the slide hammer hard i'm doing nothing but burr up the lower edge of the bushing.

I'm thinking i might be up for a set of Maxima front struts to use as donors to fit the full inserts. Don't really want to do it that way, but i'm getting nowhere fast, and if i can't get the top bush out, i've got less than no hope of getting the lower one out with the setup i've got. I can't even reach it right now. Probably could leave the lower bush in there and just press in 2 new top bushes a little closer together, but still, can't get the top one out.

Cost of a blind puller with a 40mm collet is stupid money as the 'cheap china' stuff isn't made that big, and i really have no idea what kind of shop would even have something that big as most kits only go up to 30-32mm (with the quick search i've done).

I'll keep working on it, but i think for now i'll have to settle for rears only. I have TEIN Monoflex in the front, so its not all bad (they are actually fairly comfortable compared to some), but still, i was looking forward to something a little more compliant.

The only advice I can give on this is to heat the housing around the top bushing to help get it out. Sorry to hear this is giving you so much trouble!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:18 AM

Thanks mate, these were never going to come out easy. I ended up having to do what i didn't want to do, use hack mechanic methods ... but in the end .. I WIN !!

Best:

Worst:

Now, how much approx were the ones you linked me to before, and do you know of any online stores i could buy them & have them shipped to AUS. I don't like my chances of being able to pull the OEM bushes out of the bilstein inserts without creating a burr on the edge, although they will be fresh/new, even if i damage one, i'll be stuck so i'd rather just order a whole new set.

Measured them up and they are going to be these

http://catalog.daemar.com/item/th-se...s/mb404420-th?

Moving along ! One step at a time !
Old 08-23-2011, 09:35 AM
VIP Member

The Deamar bushings were less than $5 each. I have no idea how to get them from the US to Aus but I'll ship them to you at my cost if you can figure it out.

I'm not at home to measure right now but I think the Bilstein sliders were only 1.5mm thick vs. 2mm daemars that fit my Buddy Clubs. What is the ID of the Ohlin tube?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:33 PM

If you could organise to purchase and ship them that would be *awesome* .

ID of the Ohlins tube is right on 44mm. Due to the lip at the top i can't get calipers down to measure, but i used an ID bore measuring tool like this:

Its a little inaccurate but i measured more than once to make sure.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 AM

OK so i've got some bushings on the way from the USA (thank to djsilver !) and i went searching for some seals for the strut tube. Now i *could* take the strut to a machine shop and have the end machined down so i could press on the Bilstein piece, but machine shops are not easy to find here and none want to do the little jobs without hitting you up for a 'setup fee'...

Having enough trouble to find a place to turn up some locating washers/spacers for the damper rod and make a mandrel to press the bushings in. Top one is easy, lower bushing will be hard to get in to the correct depth without a 'tool'.

Anyway, while that's happening ... new strut tube wiper seals, expensive little critters ! Cost me AUD$17.50 each ! Had one shop quote me AUD$26 EACH ! Figured to just get two and just remind myself to be REAL careful when installing them. Probably available for you guys for $3.20 a piece, but no matter, at least i have them and they're ready so one less thing to worry about.