Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Sentra B13/B14/B15/B16

Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
Thank you. Not cheap at $594 for just the pan, but at this point in the build what's a few more dollars?
You could also just modify the stock upper oil pan like this:

Old 08-17-2011, 07:34 AM

If you're a cheapskate like me, you can always build your own pan out of aluminum sheet and weld some AN bungs in the bottom. *shrug*
Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 AM

I've built a lot of wet sump pans from scratch, just not a dry sump pan. Fabrication is something I enjoy doing. I'm concerned with getting it right, I just don't have the experience to know what a 'proper' dry sump should look like internally.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Resident Grouch

it just needs to have 2 or 3 areas the oil drains to, literally 2 square top shallow funnels with the an at the low point,

there is no point to having baffles or anything, you are just trying to create an area for the oil to flow to via gravity so it can get hoovered
Old 08-17-2011, 02:37 PM

As tower said the oil just drops down from the block, and then gets sucked right off the plate- there are no baffled needed to control flow as the oil is not pooled in a liquid... it just finds its way asap to the vacuum port. However I do know that crank baffles/scrapers on the merc F1 engine gave a massive amount of power (15-20bhp, huge in F1 terms for a single change) over not running them, so could be a useful bit of sexy fab you can do like that V8 sump also if you take 2/3 ports on the pump but spread them through internal channelling on the sump so there is 1 per cyl that would be a nice touch. Also, i would look at using a centrifuge to remove the air from the oil, as then you can send it straight to a cooler instead of having to pass through the tank first and also reduce the volume of the tank.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. I have shot off an email to Pace Products in the UK with regards to sizing the pump rotors. I intend to buy my pump and oil tank from them. If I can fabricate the rest myself then this may not be as painful (cost wise) as I first thought.

In looking at photos of some of the US dry sump pans versus some of the Euro stuff (as in ex-BTCC stuff), there's apparently a huge range of philosophies regarding dry sump pan design. I need to decide...

Bob