Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Motorsports Sanctioning Bodies > NASA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
91rs13 91rs13 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Capital district NY
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
Ahhh, so that is what I'm going to this next Febuary in Seattle, I was told I was going to an instructor training school, but not really given any details on it yet, before I start instructing for the local BMWCCA Inland Empire Chaper next spring.

Yea --ITS started in the northeast a few years back and then was adopted by BMWCCA national as "recommended" for all chapters. I have not been through it ( I am event coordinator -chief steward --not an instructor) -- but have heard some horror stories. Like guys come out of their hotel room the 2nd day and have to decide if they want to go back to the track or go home!

It really separates the "I want free track time" crowd from the " I want to instruct crowd"

sr20goofus --please do not be offended by the comment above-it is not directed at you. I understand the $$ thing. I get my local chapters events for free since I work and have for a long time---but I pay for the Time trial series I run.

This year has been brutal with entry fees, travel expenses and especially fuel!
__________________
DJ

2008 Nismo 350z
91 240SX CA18det
Track Day/ Time Trial/ AX car
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-06-2008, 09:50 PM
sr20goofus sr20goofus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 381
Send a message via AIM to sr20goofus
Default

im not offended, no worries, i do really enjoy instructing its a great experience to help someone and see their progress in such a short period of time, assuming they arnt stubborn and thick headed.

I did start this whole venture with the main reason to assist in doing more events at less cost, turns out i enjoy it more than i could have predicted a year ago.
__________________
NASA HPDE Instructor
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 AM
McCoy McCoy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 2,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91rs13 View Post
Yea --ITS started in the northeast a few years back and then was adopted by BMWCCA national as "recommended" for all chapters. I have not been through it ( I am event coordinator -chief steward --not an instructor) -- but have heard some horror stories. Like guys come out of their hotel room the 2nd day and have to decide if they want to go back to the track or go home!
Sounds like fun... I've been supporting the BMW HPDE events for 5 years now as either a corner worker or as pit out (start/stop) and I've always had alot of respect for the instructors, as I know alot of them personally. I had no intention of being an instrutor, and was quite surprised that I was asked to be one. I guess I'll see here next month if I'm cut out for it or not, and the real test will be in Feb. when I attent the ITS in Seattle.

Quote:
This year has been brutal with entry fees, travel expenses and especially fuel!
I was surprised that we had a record turnout for the races this year at our local track, and the Friday open track days and BMW HPDE's all still seem to be as full as ever, even with all the additional costs... I know that I am driving less now due to the cost of gas, more than 3 tanks of gas in a day kind of hurts.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-08-2008, 04:24 PM
91rs13 91rs13 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Capital district NY
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
Sounds like fun... I've been supporting the BMW HPDE events for 5 years now as either a corner worker or as pit out (start/stop) .
That is how I started this addiction --er I mean sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
I was surprised that we had a record turnout for the races this year at our local track, and the Friday open track days and BMW HPDE's all still seem to be as full as ever, even with all the additional costs... I know that I am driving less now due to the cost of gas, more than 3 tanks of gas in a day kind of hurts.
Our BMW events at Lime Rock Park and Watkins Glen were full this year. We added a new event at Calabogie in Canada --that was not so well attended --but it was a blast. In talking to other clubs that run there --their events have been light on attendees

The Time Trial club I have been running with is hit or miss. Some events have been packed ( New Hampshire and Mt Tremblant ) --others have been light ( Watkins Glen, Calabogie and I think Mosport --missing that one)

I went to NJ motorsports park in July and that was packed ( new track)

Lets see --for most of those tracks 3 tankfuls of gas in the truck gets me there and back --then I put gas in the car ( 94 unleaded in Canada is about US$5.50+ per gallon)


But we are having fun--right
__________________
DJ

2008 Nismo 350z
91 240SX CA18det
Track Day/ Time Trial/ AX car
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-08-2008, 04:44 PM
McCoy McCoy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 2,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91rs13 View Post
That is how I started this addiction --er I mean sport
Mine was autocross, but yes working the BMW was my stepping block into doing track days.

Quote:
Lets see --for most of those tracks 3 tankfuls of gas in the truck gets me there and back --then I put gas in the car ( 94 unleaded in Canada is about US$5.50+ per gallon)
3 tanks of gas on track... not including getting to/from the track

We run hot all day and the attendance has always been small at our Friday track days... means lots of track time for me.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 PM
91rs13 91rs13 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Capital district NY
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
Mine was autocross, but yes working the BMW was my stepping block into doing track days.


3 tanks of gas on track... not including getting to/from the track

We run hot all day and the attendance has always been small at our Friday track days... means lots of track time for me.

WOW What motor are you running or how much track time --If I run 4 20-30 min sessions I usually use one tank in the car --or if open track 1.5 or just under 2 tanks.
__________________
DJ

2008 Nismo 350z
91 240SX CA18det
Track Day/ Time Trial/ AX car
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-08-2008, 08:20 PM
McCoy McCoy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pullman, WA
Posts: 2,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91rs13 View Post
WOW What motor are you running or how much track time --If I run 4 20-30 min sessions I usually use one tank in the car --or if open track 1.5 or just under 2 tanks.
My car build is here.

We (myself and a few friends) typically do a short warm-up session (20 minutes), make sure all the wheels are torqued, tire pressures are right and nothing is out of the ordinary and start doing 30-45 minute session with 30 minute breaks in between if not shorter. 300 track miles is typical, upwards of 400 has been done before by some crazy guy in an STI.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Style by: kreativfantasy.com
www.nissanroadracing.com