Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Classifieds > Group Buy

Old 06-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
There's also things like rotating and unsprung mass to consider when you only have 150whp and don't need HUGE brakes, just good brakes..
That was never a problem on my car unless I unplugged a couple of coilpacks.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 06-08-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
Good to know. Are you running Z32 uprights/knuckles? And would any of you like to keep e-brake functionality? I have no need for it.

Not for anything, rear Z32 rotors are pretty damn cheap (Centric premium high carbon). I want something bigger/wider and/or cooling as I have bad pad transfer in the rear often.

In addition to what you said, using rear Wilwood calipers would allow for the same pad shape front and rear. The pad is YUUUGE and cheaper than a Z32. And if you run same pad compound front and rear, rotating pads around will add even more to useable life.
I'm using gk tech rear knuckles. If I could have provisions for ebrake, I would really like it, but it's not 100% necessary. Definitely not important enough for the rotating weight penalty of z32 iron rotors. And with the gk tech knuckles if the rotors were z32 sized I should be able to come up with a dual caliper setup if I decide I want e-brake that much (I probably would considering it's "good weight" minus the unsprung portion as it would allow me to pull that much weight out of worse areas). Pad pricing is a factor, but not nearly as much as rotor pricing since nasa's hawk contingency program is so generous. I don't see ever paying for pads anyway, but more leftovers never hurt...

Last edited by ericb382; 06-08-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Old 07-13-2017, 07:06 AM

I'll update here for now while I finalize this.

Initial mock up with printed parts. Rotor pictured is a 12.2" x 0.81" HD WW rotor. Wheel is 17x9 +18 with 5mm spacer (not required to clear caliper).
It's not a FSL caliper if you can't tell. To get the FSL to fit without cutting the OE caliper mounting ears off is basically impossible without maybe using some huge diameter rotor or a wacky negative offset rotor hat, as far as I can tell. Plus, the FSL is likely overkill back there.

The hat hardware in the picture is also full floating hardware for anyone with a keen eye. I only used it for mock up as I had it laying around for something else, which is why the orientation of the shoulder screw heads are all over the place. Overkill to go full floating in the rear, I plan on using similar hardware as the Defsport kit.

I decided on a Forged Narrow Dynalite, which is the most recent revision of the Dynalite series (has a center bridge bolt vs. a pin for extra rigidity), uses a larger pad (0.6" vs 0.49" thick) vs. the other Dynalite and Dynapro models (with the exception of the Dynapro 4 Radial Mount, which is almost $100 more/caliper and not even made with piston sizes that work for our application), and is very affordable. Pads are also very inexpensive vs. Z32 pads with more pad volume to boot.

This won't require cutting the OE mounting ears. If someone REALLY wants to use their Z32 ebrake, it'll be possible to make a barrel with a steel insert off the back of the rotor hat, but I won't be focusing on that for some time.

The 2 piece rotor setup weight savings is just shy of 4 lbs per corner. The caliper weight differences I need to measure still, but not sure there's much there as the Z32 rear alum calipers are pretty compact.

Anywho....
Old 08-07-2017, 12:42 AM

PM'd you my number. I need this in my life!