Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Suspension > Alignment

Old 11-29-2017, 12:30 PM

It should be able to provide forces, accelerations, velocities, and position at any user defined point on the mechanism if it's truly "dynamic."

Typically you'll define an input force/torque to drive the mechanism how you want over a certain period of time. Then you should be able to pick a point or a few (or perhaps plane) and monitor their positions relative to a reference origin/plane with respect to the time.

Looking briefly at Inventors Dynamic Simulation it seems like it's limited compared to what I used in ProE 5 years ago, but I think should be able to get the job done for what we're looking for.

I already d/l'd your model with the pivot extrusions this morning. You're on the right track.

I also have already installed Recap Pro on my machine. Looking forward to testing something out. Should do the front upright now as well!

I like the idea on getting the S13 pickup points. I'm thinking you'll have to make sure the car is level when you do this so you'll be sure to get the proper orientation of the Z32 upright when you assemble everything in CAD.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:00 PM

Gotcha. I found the dynamic simulation course on their design academy so I'll work through that until I think I've got enough knowledge to make the simulation.

Glad to hear it looks alright so far. I'll probably have to change the thickness of the joints around but that's easy.

Yeah that was going to be the natural progression of this project lol. I started with the rear end because I had the upright in my hand and my rear end is tail happy right now. Probably due to way to much camber but I'll fix that soon.

Maybe I'm missing something but with all the arms in place won't the upright self align relative to the subframe? I guess keeping track of the subframe/entire assembly relative to the ground would be important so we know how the movement of the wheel bearing plane corresponds to toe and camber (since those are referenced to the ground). When I scan in the subframe it will definitely pick up the ground as well. Then we could set our angle relative to the ground based on our unique ride heights.

I'm itching to model the rest of the links lol. Maybe I'll pull my rear end apart sooner rather than later. Senior project is telling me no though
Old 11-30-2017, 07:31 AM

The subframe pickup points will fix the upright to an orientation, but like you said, you won't know how it sits relative to a level ground plane where the tire sits and the planes/points you're monitoring will be skewed.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 PM

I uploaded an S14 rear subframe and linked it on here at some point. Very cool about the knuckle, thanks for sharing!

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 96 G20: The DD
Old 12-05-2017, 11:21 PM

2_Liter_Turbo, you uploaded a model of one? That would be a cool starting point. Finals have me swamped so I won't get to taking apart my rear end until sometime next week.

I'm happy to share! I've learned so much reading the various threads on here that I am excited to finally be able to contribute meaningfully.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingy49 View Post
2_Liter_Turbo, you uploaded a model of one? That would be a cool starting point. Finals have me swamped so I won't get to taking apart my rear end until sometime next week.

I'm happy to share! I've learned so much reading the various threads on here that I am excited to finally be able to contribute meaningfully.
I uploaded the mounting positions of all the arms in space (as a solid model). I have an STL scan of the actual subframe, which is how I put it all together. It's on my GrabCAD account.

https://grabcad.com/library/nissan-9...ocations-oem-1

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 96 G20: The DD
Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 AM

I forgot that you had done that with the S14 subframe. Care to share that STL scan of the subframe?

Is the side orthographic view of what you created level to the ground plane?

Tags
knuckle, pickup points, scan, upright, z32