Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Universal Discussion > General Chat

Old 11-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Copycat

Send a message via AIM to turtl631
Default Ice autoX, rallyX etc car build

I'm trying to convince a buddy to build an S13 for the fun low friction stuff you can do around here. My wife seems not totally opposed to me being involved in this despite having hit the hard limit for number of cars I can own where we're currently living.

My thoughts are try to grab a car with an SR swapped or pick one up since I have a few nice clutches, a flywheel, various other parts, experience etc. Not wanting to turbo a KA but a stock KA would be okay. Just think some boost would make this a lot more interesting.

So otherwise, clutch diff, reinforce some suspension parts, snow tires on stock or other narrow wheels. I could arrange for some bucket seats easily.

And then dampers and springs. There's the Bilstein motorsport strut custom fab option which would be sweet overkill. Alternatively, 3000GT front and something else rear Bilstein HDs, perhaps Evo. Would the typical Bilstein setup be able to run at stock height or a little higher and still have some droop travel? I've only played with Konis and JDM coilovers.

Last edited by turtl631; 11-22-2017 at 10:29 PM..
Old 11-22-2017, 10:04 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

You could do stock replacement Koni yellows and have tons of travel with a reasonable spring rate like 350/300 with the height jacked way up, like stock or 1" higher than stock.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 11-22-2017, 10:05 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

...and I vote for a fairly stock drop-in SR with maybe a T28, injectors, Z32 MAF and tune. It'd be PLENTY of power and really fast response. Turbo KA could work too, but good condition original year KAs are so rare now it's probably easier to get a barely used SR from Japan at this point.

'11 BMW X5 35i

Old 11-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Copycat

Send a message via AIM to turtl631

Thanks for the input. I’m interested in the Bilsteins just to do something different and play with mono tubes. How spendy are the 36mm motorsport struts? Trying to avoid cost creep. I have a set of spherical shod Z32 rear uprights but I see a path that involves 46mm bilstein Motorsport struts, 5 lug, Z brakes, beefy control arms, Braid etc wheels...and this is the path to building a stage rally car which is not the current objective. Although maybe someday?

The T28 suggestion is a good one. Z32 MAF, 550cc injectors, flash tune, bolt on fmic and exhaust bits. Easy. Again, the $$$ path of small EFR, Infinity ECU is the wrong one.

I have to read more about differentials for loose surfaces. Seems like the one place to splurge. I do wonder if my Cusco RS 1.5 way and 4.6 R&P would work well. Can’t sell the damn thing NIB for a fair amount...
Old 11-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

The Bilstein motorsport struts are pricey...I want to say they're in the $650/ea range, then you need to get spindle mounting ears fabbed, then you need to machine the top of the strut shaft for a thread, then you need to valve it, then you need to build and pressurize the strut... It's a lot of work, and IMO, not much benefit over just a reasonable OTS Koni/Bilstein.

Maybe you could find a Bilstein insert that's a hair longer than the 3000GT stuff? Just not sure those would give enough travel at a reasonable spring rate, since you probably want like 4" of bump travel and a couple inches of rebound. Pretty sure stock Konis can do that, they're pretty long.

The Cusco RS + 4.6 would be sweet for rally/ice stuff. I'd go down to at least 80% lockup, maybe 60% (but then you might overheat it on track?). You can also bump the preload down from 6 to 4 springs to loosen it up a bit at neutral throttle.

I wouldn't worry too much about really swank dampers, I think it's more important to get something that offers reasonable damping (adjustable is probably good too to tune things IMO, at least until you know what rally really likes - I'd think softer would be better in general as long as it's not pogoing?), and LOTS of travel. Any bottoming out will make the car difficult to drive, so first order of business is lots of bump travel, and you'll be at a high enough ride height to use all that travel without smashing the tire into the body.

I think the usual front tension rod + fabbed FLCA (you can copy the ones I did on my car, it took an afternoon to do it for both) + cheap rear arms with replaced rod ends would be fine for this. Maybe some rear subframe limiter cups and call it good. Easy enough prep, then get a reliable powertrain and go to town.

'11 BMW X5 35i

Old 11-23-2017, 12:17 PM

The 3000gt bilsteins are pretty tall. That'd probably be my pick, plus every bilstein seems pretty damned resilient to abuse.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

I had a set before, they seemed quite a bit shorter than I remember OEM Koni fitment being. But it's been many years.

Honestly, if I were going to spend some $$$ on the build, I'd spend it on an EFR setup rather than lots of $$$ for dampers. I think you'd notice that a lot more since it almost changes the character of the car (faster spool/transient response and more power everywhere).

'11 BMW X5 35i