Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Sentra B13/B14/B15/B16

Old 02-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Nice fab work!

As far as ditching the aluminum exhaust on a turbo engine - you should keep it. The post turbine exhaust temps will be LOWER than on pretty much any NA engine. The turbine takes out a ton of heat energy (200-400 deg F easy), so the turbine housing goes from glowing to well below 800 F right at the turbo outlet.

I'd use a short section of stainless out of the turbo, but once you're past the oil pan I'd keep the aluminum exhaust (unless the diameter is too small - you want a 3" exhaust really). A 2.5" exhaust that's free flowing might be enough, but for a race car ya might as well go 3" if you can fit it.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 02-28-2015, 11:59 PM

Curious about your tire size.... I run 255's on 9" wide wheels and they look to fit about the same as yours - I expected to see some stretch to fit the 225's but they look pretty square.

I guess no real question... Just interesting. Very nice car!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
Nice fab work!

As far as ditching the aluminum exhaust on a turbo engine - you should keep it. The post turbine exhaust temps will be LOWER than on pretty much any NA engine. The turbine takes out a ton of heat energy (200-400 deg F easy), so the turbine housing goes from glowing to well below 800 F right at the turbo outlet.

I'd use a short section of stainless out of the turbo, but once you're past the oil pan I'd keep the aluminum exhaust (unless the diameter is too small - you want a 3" exhaust really). A 2.5" exhaust that's free flowing might be enough, but for a race car ya might as well go 3" if you can fit it.
The aluminum is only 2.5". I was planning on 3" stainless tubing for the turbo engine.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfryjfry View Post
Curious about your tire size.... I run 255's on 9" wide wheels and they look to fit about the same as yours - I expected to see some stretch to fit the 225's but they look pretty square.

I guess no real question... Just interesting. Very nice car!
Hoosiers do tend to run wider than other brands. They list an 8.6" tread and 9.3" sidewall for this size.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:13 AM

Updating this old thread rather than starting a new one. My friend Tim hasn't done any racing since 2014, but he is entered in the 2017 Mt. Washington Hillclimb again.

I haven't done any fabricating or car stuff since fall of 2015. I closed my shop down and put everything into storage, bought a new house in another state, and have yet to build a new workshop there.

Tim was hoping to improve his car a bit more for this year, so two things were done. One, he fitted a Megasquirt Plug'n'play ECU and eliminated the MAF sensor. This was not without its share of issues, and the Megasquirt was sent back and forth 3 times for problems, and we abandoned one dyno session too as a result. Anyway, his 17 year old engine made 6 less HP than when it was new, but it made 12 more ft lbs of torque than when it was new. RPM range was entended as well. Better, but not as good as a turbo. That new turbo engine will have to wait until I have a new shop....

The second big change will be changing from Nissan B15 Koni sport inserts, to 46 mm Bilstein universal motorsport struts. Keeping in mind this is not a slammed to the weeds road racer, and does mostly rough New England hillclimbs, I went with the longest travel struts I could fit. We chose 7.8" travel front, and 8.8" travel rear inserts.

The front of the car has raised strut towers (1.5" higher), and I found I could lower the strut body relative to the mounting flanges a bit, and retain lots of travel in both directions at a slightly lower ride height than stock.

In the rear, since there's no halfshaft in the way, I can just lower the strut body a bunch relative to the mounting flanges and retain good compression and droop travel. More travel on rough roads = more grip.

The top pins were machined down to .750" for use with common 3/4" monoballs, and they were tapped for shrader valves as well.

I made some 1/4" thick chromoly camber plates to replace the old aluminum ones Tim had on the car (now bent up after years of rally use). The monoballs were 5/8" previously.

For the rear strut top mounts, I used the upper portion of the stock rear mounts. I removed the rubber bushings, enlarged the hole at the top, welded in a monoball housings and welded in bolts for mounting studs. With the low profile Bilstein spring hats, I have more room vertically than the OEM setup.

Unfortunately I ran out of steel while mocking up the strut flanges, and have to wait for more material. That, plus the 110 mile drive to where my welder is being stored (at a friend's race shop) means it'll be a week or two before I get back to work on these. But the top mounts are ready for zinc plating at least.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:21 AM

This was Tim just yesterday, shaking the car down at the spring Mt. Ascutney Hillclimb in Vermont. As you can see he cut the corner a bit tight, and launched the car onto two wheels!

He's always trying to break stuff I build.....

Old 05-22-2017, 07:12 AM

That's a fantastic picture! Ha ha

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 96 G20: The DD
Old 05-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Love the Duel Plenum Intake & all of the custom fabrication! Great project.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:42 PM

So, the second hillclimb of the season for my friend Tim has come and gone, namely Mt. Okemo. The new Bilsteins were fitted for this event.

Sadly, there was no time to wait for zinc plating of the strut bodies and the top mounts, so a thin coat of paint was shot onto these parts that might otherwise oxidize rapidly. There were a few fitment issues like brake hoses up front that were too short and rear camber issues, but otherwise everything fit up pretty well.

As far as the performance of the struts, Tim said he didn't notice anything good or bad about them. However when other drivers approached and asked about how he was hitting a huge frost heave and other bumps without upsetting the car, Tim just said "what frost heave?". So yea, they pretty much soaked up whatever he threw at them.

The biggest issue by far was the lack of negative camber in the rear (since remedied), and the rubbing of the rear tires in the fenders. This was partially due to the lack of camber, and also due the greater suspension articulation and travel.

This weekend, I cut off the steel fender flares I made in 2014, and mini-tubbed the rear wheelwells. Tim then fitted some generic rivet-on urethane flares, which were wider and taller and allow for unimpeded wheel travel.

Rear top mounts and spring hardware

Front camber plates.

Struts fully assembled, ready for pressurizing to 200 psi with nitrogen, and ready for 275 lb front springs and 225 lb rear springs with flat wire helper springs.

Rear strut installed with springs.

The car has has a bit more body roll perhaps but it has grip and is easy to drive fast. Soaks up high speed bumps with ease. This is at Mt. Okemo a week ago.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:43 PM

So, on to the fender clearance issues. Friday afternoon I drove to Tim's house and started on the rear fender rework. The biggest contact issue with the B13 chassis is at the rear of the wheelwell opening. It has to do with the suspension geometry pushing the wheel backwards in the wheelwell as it travels upwards.

Here I take my Kett shears to the steel flares I made previously. Oh well, easy come, easy go!

At this point, I've already cut the outer fender nearly flush with the top of the stock wheelwell. The inner section that normally meets the outer fender was cut out entirely, and a new mini-tub about 4" wide was made. This was then welded to the outer fender at the cut line.

Here you can see the fender cutout is basically flush with the top of the wheelwell. Tim slapped on a coat of POR-15 then covered that with Rustoleum yellow. Seams are seam-sealed to keep water and dirt out too.

Before the flare goes on, you can see that the amount of droop he has compared to the Koni's is amazing!

The car is definitely "jumpable" as it sits now!

Down on the ground at regular ride height, with the rear flare riveted in place.

Mount Washington is happening in just two weeks, wish Tim luck up the hill!