Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Engine > Forced Induction

Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Keep in mind that is the new 60mm wheel va the GenII 67mm wheel. Quite an improvement if you ask me.

Check out the 3d printed concepts on the raptor engine, the new turbine housings are very EFR-esque. Speaking of which, I’m sure they’re feeling the popularity of the efr range, and it was only a matter of time before they responded. I’m excited for some competition, because we’re going to benefit!
Atleast quote my entire post for proper context lol

Bench racing/paper racing is good for about 30% of real life results. I will come to final judgement once I see this turbo on a real VET (or whatever) doing big things. Bench racing with MAPS is one thing, area under the curve, response, etc is where it's at for everything outside of drag racing, which no amount of flow maps can properly characterize.

EFR is a perfect example of this (remember, they had to up the HP limit as it turns out, they flowed a ton more than originally advertised).

However, as I stated, just like how the EFR was downplayed because of flow maps, Garrett may be on to something here once these hit the streets.

What's good for the goose, may also be good for the gander in this case. Garrett is very capable to making big things happen
Old 11-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

You can make crazy power running a turbo way off the compressor map, but that sort of usage only works for a hard-parking street car or drag racing. Anything more and it will not prove reliable for either the turbo or the engine most likely as your IATs will go through the roof as your intercooler saturates.

That is impressive flow for a 60 mm turbo, but unless there's a huge leap forward on the turbine side, it's going to be tough to utilize all that compressor flow.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 11-03-2017, 11:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Atleast quote my entire post for proper context lol

Bench racing/paper racing is good for about 30% of real life results. I will come to final judgement once I see this turbo on a real VET (or whatever) doing big things. Bench racing with MAPS is one thing, area under the curve, response, etc is where it's at for everything outside of drag racing, which no amount of flow maps can properly characterize.

EFR is a perfect example of this (remember, they had to up the HP limit as it turns out, they flowed a ton more than originally advertised).

However, as I stated, just like how the EFR was downplayed because of flow maps, Garrett may be on to something here once these hit the streets.

What's good for the goose, may also be good for the gander in this case. Garrett is very capable to making big things happen
Wait, what needed more context? We’re having a discussion and I’m posting up flow charts that are a good indication of performance given they’re generated by the same company. I’m not claiming any kind of results, just interested in comparing to what’s currently available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
You can make crazy power running a turbo way off the compressor map, but that sort of usage only works for a hard-parking street car or drag racing. Anything more and it will not prove reliable for either the turbo or the engine most likely as your IATs will go through the roof as your intercooler saturates.

That is impressive flow for a 60 mm turbo, but unless there's a huge leap forward on the turbine side, it's going to be tough to utilize all that compressor flow.

^this. I’ve worked with Evo dudes for 6 years, in shops that have dyno’s and specialize in tuning them. Evo dudes love big power numbers, and will run whatever they have to to get them. Then they street drive and go to two drag nights a year.

Are the results impressive? Sure, but they’re also not ideal.

The turbine map says it flows about 5-6 more lb/min than the 2867 in the biggest housing. From what I understand, a more efficient compressor also makes the turbine work less. It should definitely be interesting to see what they’ve come up with here.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:01 PM

Well, prices are out and my expectations were short lived. 2K$ for a non proven turbo design that requires a new elbow, downpipe, hotpipe and header ? And i still need to add the turbine flange and the wastegate ?

Please, someone sell me a 2867 A/R .64 with a T25 flange. There HAS to be someone willing to sell his to get a G25

Seriously, that price tag is higher than EFRs. I cannot see anyone switching to them unless they are desperate about packaging (EFRs are big) or rich garrett fans. Or if these turbos blow EFR where they clearly are better (mainly response)
Old 11-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX

Quote:
Originally Posted by croustibat View Post
Well, prices are out and my expectations were short lived. 2K$ for a non proven turbo design that requires a new elbow, downpipe, hotpipe and header ? And i still need to add the turbine flange and the wastegate ?

Please, someone sell me a 2867 A/R .64 with a T25 flange. There HAS to be someone willing to sell his to get a G25

Seriously, that price tag is higher than EFRs. I cannot see anyone switching to them unless they are desperate about packaging (EFRs are big) or rich garrett fans. Or if these turbos blow EFR where they clearly are better (mainly response)
As with EFR's, the price will come down a little with demand.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ochargers.aspx

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.