Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Z Car/G35/G37

Old 08-03-2016, 07:09 AM

Bumping this thread, pls no flamerino.

Nice 350 eye-5, I really like the hood bulge of the HR models.

I've come here to ask if there are any reliability concerns with high-mileage 350Zs.

I've found an '04 that's been tastefully modded to be a nice daily/autocross toy for a good price, but it has a little over 100K miles.

Do these VQs need timing chains, tensioners, and water pumps around this time? What else can I expect to go out? I'm guessing regular stuff that goes out around 100K miles like the starter, battery, maybe coil packs.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:19 AM

I have an '04 G35 for a daily driver. It's got 165k miles on it now and the engine still runs great. the only engine work I've had to do is ancilliary external stuff. valve cover gaskets, 1 ignition coil (because the valve cover gasket leaked oil into the spark plug hole and shorted the coil pack), 1 cam angle sensor, radiator, and a drive belt pulley or two.

all of that stuff has come up in the last year or so, with 150k+ on the ticker. I drive the piss out of it regularly, w/ ~7500 mile changes with Mobil 1.

Hell, I'm still on the original clutch and it'll chirp 3rd gear!

I would not hesitate to buy one at 100k miles, assuming it's been maintained.
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 08-05-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
I have an '04 G35 for a daily driver. It's got 165k miles on it now and the engine still runs great. the only engine work I've had to do is ancilliary external stuff. valve cover gaskets, 1 ignition coil (because the valve cover gasket leaked oil into the spark plug hole and shorted the coil pack), 1 cam angle sensor, radiator, and a drive belt pulley or two.

all of that stuff has come up in the last year or so, with 150k+ on the ticker. I drive the piss out of it regularly, w/ ~7500 mile changes with Mobil 1.

Hell, I'm still on the original clutch and it'll chirp 3rd gear!

I would not hesitate to buy one at 100k miles, assuming it's been maintained.
Awesome, thanks.

Yeah this one appears to be super well-maintained. The guy bought it back in '06 with 19K miles. It looks really good and even though I typically like getting a stock or stock-ish car then building it the way I want, this guy has already gone ahead and done a lot of what I would do which is great.

I'm planning on taking a look at it soon. Really excited.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:05 PM

If you don't boost them or over rev the DEs, the motors are super reliable.

The VQ35HR motor is the best of the VQ35s, it was in 350zs from 2007-2009. It has 700 more RPM, has more HP, and has better oiling.

The HRs have one issue though, a concentric slave cylinder that is inside the transmission. They are known to fail and it stranded me once already. The DEs just had a regular external slave cylinder. There are several kits to convert to a regular external slave cylinder. The ZSpeed performance one looks to be the best and most simple kit.

The car even with the brembos is rough on brakes if you track it. They don't get much cooling. If you are pretty quick, you'll have to get some pretty heavy duty pads to handle the heat as well as good fluid. DTC 60s only lasted me 2.5 track days. I moved up to G-Loc R16s and they are doing great so far. Ducting isn't a bad idea.

I had the front wheel bearings go out already. They were fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. No biggie there for a heavy ish car that is tracked. My Z now has 88,000 miles on it.

As far as a daily, I love it. I did have one low car vs. Chicago street incident. Other than that, I like driving it more than any car I've owned.

Window regulators are known to go out. I think it has something to do with everytime you open the door, the window goes down a half an inch and back up when you close it.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

The big problems on DEs that I remember are the valve cover gaskets and cam or crank sensors. Both like a 60-80k interval. I had an 06 G35 with the rev up DE, but never had either of those issues. But it was pretty low mileage.

As for driving it hard, any car with 100k+ miles is going to be pretty beat on the suspension side. Figure lots of bushings, ball joints, and tie rods if you're going to care how it handles.

I'd also be wary of the synchros. Up until mid 05 they were very bad.

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 08-05-2016, 04:27 PM

Both 350Z & 370Z cars can be a lot of fun on the track. Basic upgrades like an oil cooler, brake pads, good tires. For the 370Z there are also fuel starvation problems that can be fixed pretty easily with this http://cj-motorsports.com/products/c...race-pump-370z. An oil pan extender helps too.

Both are a heavy pig compared to a 240sx. The 350Z can be picked up for a reasonable price no a days. For the 350Z get the HR or VHR, the DE motors had some reliability problems when run on a track.

The 370Z has improved suspension geometry over the 350Z. But the 370Z VVEL heads have their problems too. Most race teams run a 370Z block with 350Z VHR heads for the best setup.

I have built cages in stripped track cars for both chassis & I prefer the 370Z over the 350Z.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Quote:
Originally Posted by induetime View Post
Both 350Z & 370Z cars can be a lot of fun on the track. Basic upgrades like an oil cooler, brake pads, good tires. For the 370Z there are also fuel starvation problems that can be fixed pretty easily with this http://cj-motorsports.com/products/c...race-pump-370z. An oil pan extender helps too.

Both are a heavy pig compared to a 240sx. The 350Z can be picked up for a reasonable price no a days. For the 350Z get the HR or VHR, the DE motors had some reliability problems when run on a track.

The 370Z has improved suspension geometry over the 350Z. But the 370Z VVEL heads have their problems too. Most race teams run a 370Z block with 350Z VHR heads for the best setup.

I have built cages in stripped track cars for both chassis & I prefer the 370Z over the 350Z.
That CJM setup is highway robbery for what it is. I know it's not easy to develop and manufacture low volume parts, but I think he either made poor design decisions if that represents a true cost of an intank surge tank, or something else is off.

Honestly, I'd try to get a Hydramat working with an intank pump and ditching the stock bucket before going with a $1100+ surge tank that by all accounts, still has issues down around 3/8 of a tank. That might run you $250-400 plus some fab work, expensive but somewhat doable.

Never heard of issues with the 370Z VVEL heads, and I know a few guys who have probably 70 or 80 weekends on them by now. The engines seem pretty bulletproof as long as you keep them cool (GReddy oil pan and oil cooler does the trick). The cats will get beat up over time, all the guys had issues after maybe 30-40 weekends. The 2nd set seems reliable from what I've heard.

They do tend to freak out with sticky tires in braking zones. Occasionally it can kick into an "ice mode" program and take away a lot of braking force. I don't think they tend to do it with street tires tho'.

But you can toss some decent Centric rotors on the 14" brake setup and some DTC-60s and have zero brake worries. I guess there is something to carting around 110 lbs of rotors on your car... hah

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 08-06-2016, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the info guys, it supports a lot of what I've read so far.

I don't plan on boosting the DE. The owner has actually done a decent bit of bolt-ons so far (Motordyne spacer and MREV lower, Nismo S-Tune catback, and JWT Popcharger). What I really like though is that he already addressed some of the weak points that come with the chassis aging as well as adding more power and asking more of the car; it already has a Z1 urethane transmission mount and Whiteline diff bushings. The suspension has been worked on as well but appears to be all done with quality parts.

Honestly, the car looks perfect for what I'm looking for. Hopefully I'll be able to share it with you all soon!

Last edited by Apex Eight; 08-06-2016 at 09:02 AM..
Old 08-08-2016, 03:43 PM

Are standard DEs underpowered? I didn't realize they dyno so low.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:51 AM

VQ35DE were rated at 287HP to the crank. With a 20% drive train loss that puts it at 229.6 HP at the wheels. Most dynos I've seen hit right around there.