Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Z Car/G35/G37

Old 06-08-2015, 01:34 PM

My bigest issue with the 350Z is weight and inherent consumables.

My next track day weapon after the 240 is going to weight 2700 lbs with me in it and have A/C and power accessories. If I am going to have a trackday vehicle than can only be trailered to the event, I would just take the next hobble and go full door-door racing.

Parts and consumables for my 240 is pretty cheap. Going to a car which weights 500+ may have dimishing results.

Other than what smentioned (power steering overheating and the gearbox/transmission needing a proper cooler), the Z makes a fairly bomb proof trackday or dual pupose vehicle.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:39 PM

The 240 is pretty cheap. But with the extent it is modified, and 20 year old chassis, there is a decent amount of labor involved. My girlfriend actually asked me if there was a car I could get that I could still do my hobby in but take less time. She is getting jealous of the 240 :P
Old 06-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye-5 View Post
The 240 is pretty cheap. But with the extent it is modified, and 20 year old chassis, there is a decent amount of labor involved. My girlfriend actually asked me if there was a car I could get that I could still do my hobby in but take less time. She is getting jealous of the 240 :P
I've thought the same thing... but I honestly cause myself lots of work because I like to tinker. Sometimes I enjoy it more than going out on track with the same old setup and just running around. I enjoy testing out something new on track just as much as finding a group that's my exact speed and dicing with them for the whole day.

As for the 370Z - they're a nice package for speed, and a Nismo 370Z actually feels pretty nice out of the box (just needs more front camber and brake pads really), but they have a few big issues.

1. Fuel starvation - when you put some moderate R-comps like NT01s on them, they will fuel starve 25 mins out on track on right handers. If your buddy's doesn't do it at the track, it's because he's slow. Over 1 G = fuel starvation unless you fill up every session.

2. Ice mode on ABS. This is downright frightening, but you get into some part of the ABS mapping with sticky tires and braking on track and it will think you're on ice and lock your ass out of the brake pedal. Nearly flying off the track at 100 mph into T1 at COTA was a very puckering experience in my buddy's 370Z Nismo.

3. Not a huge deal, as most cars this vintage have it, but the e-throttle mapping sucks for track driving. It actually felt different to me based on what gear I was in, so that was really distracting. It's way overboosted in neutral, so I couldn't heel and toe worth a crap with a 40 lb flywheel and near no throttle modulation. I guess that's why they did the rev match thing...

350Z's seem a little bit better, but honestly, I'm not super thrilled about them. They're bigger, heavier than a 370Z, not nearly as fast in stock form (down about 40-50 rwhp on a 370), and they've got A LOT of rubber in the suspension that just doesn't make them feel that great in stock form IMO.

Honestly - comfortable drive to track car = BMW IMO. You can pick up a 135i the same year as a 370z for cheaper than the 370z last I looked. A few bolt-ons, some camber up front - fun car. Only negative is the diff situation...

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 06-10-2015, 03:10 PM

I figured I'd add some feedback I got other places.

The 370s have a fuel starve issue that can be solved with a fuel pump that apparantly $1100. If you want to run in a stock Autocross class with it, that will boot you out. Def mentioned this as well.

The later model 350s, 2006 & up, from what I'm told are good to go stock for reliability on track days. If you can find a track model, they come with the brembos and light wheels.

Nismo models put you in impossible class for SCCA Solo.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:28 PM

06 is the rev-up VQ not the HR. I thought they had some notable oil consumption issues. I had an 08 and it was ok. The stock clutch and concentric slave feel weird when driving hard. Other than that, I'd rather get a base model (like I had) and add better brakes and an OSGiken LSD than pay for a track edition with heavy Brembos and VLSD.

I'm not one to build for a specific class though. A permanent vert with cage is on my list though, haha.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:26 AM

05-06 had Rev-Up's, and they did have oil burning issues. My '05 doesn't seem have any to burn much at all though. It did have a problem with the clutch master cylinder, the pedal wouldn't come back up all the way after shifting. Apparently it's a known issue with 350Z's, I had a Wilwood clutch master cylinder kit installed when I replaced the clutch and flywheel.
'08 Toyota Tundra-Daily/tow rig.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:48 AM

I'm constantly considering ditching my goals of street mod 240sx. I dont have the time or money in the near future to make my car competitive, but I just had to have the turbo in my more social college days.
I've considered 350z but have the same dislikes of the size and weight as most of you. I usually get to the theory crafting stage of building an stx s13 coupe, or de-modding my car to stx. The hassle of finding a stock non rusted s13, and having to sell the car I've had for so long and worked so hard on ruins the idea for me. I'll probably run the car as is now while getting everything I need to try out stx, then swapping the turbo KA out when its ready.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:55 AM

My brother owned and raced his '03 350Z Track model for years. Only mods were coilovers, Cusco UCA's, gears, Nismo 1.5way, upgraded pads for the Brembos, wheels and tires, radiator and oil cooler.

Car ran beautifully as a daily driver/race car. He had a set of 18x10.5 RPF1's with 285/30 Hoosier A6 take-offs for Autox. The car was an FTD car with that setup. We both attended multiple track days. Drive the car to the track, race all day, put the a/c on and drive comfortably home.

This is part of the reason I'd like to keep my S14 somewhat civil. I enjoy driving it around the street just as much as I do at the track. Driving it to meets, along the coast, or a winding back road. Once it becomes a track only car that needs to be trailored, I would lose half of the enjoyment of having it. That's how I feel about it anyway.

IG: l_fitzhenry
Old 08-07-2015, 10:11 PM

I love my 370 as a track car. Yes, they feel heavy on stock suspension, however when sprung correctly on coilovers, it's night and day. It is more expensive to run than a s chassis, however it's more "turn key" and generally requires less maintenance. They run hot, but I bought a good oil cooler and it has performed flawlessly thus far in SoCal heat. These and 350's absolutely rip with square wheels/tires, good LSD, and good suspension.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:24 PM

One more thing, the clutch slave cylinder design is garage. Something you may deal with with these cars. Also fuel starvation, however I haven't personally had the problem yet. I run with a full tank