Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Z Car/G35/G37

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-07-2015, 08:45 PM
eye-5 eye-5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,556
Default 350 z/ 370z owners, track ability of stockish platforms?

My 240 is a blast but after every long weekend, I wonder if all the effort is worth it. I like the size of a 350 and 370, the new mustang is cool but just too big. The FRS handling is great but no power. Everyone I know owns a S2000. I have been thinking a 350 or 370 might be the low maintenance track capable car of choice. Let me know what you have faced tracking them. I've heard oil cooling was an issue at track days. I appreciate your honest input. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
__________________
Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-07-2015, 10:16 PM
jfryjfry jfryjfry is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: El segundo
Posts: 651
Default

I've heard diffs can get hot. Other than that, they're pretty handy on the track. I drive with about 7 guys and gals with 350's. they seem to be ridiculously solid and fast. Seems like a no-brainer to go to that unless you want to dig a little deeper and get a vette
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 AM
eye-5 eye-5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfryjfry View Post
I've heard diffs can get hot. Other than that, they're pretty handy on the track. I drive with about 7 guys and gals with 350's. they seem to be ridiculously solid and fast. Seems like a no-brainer to go to that unless you want to dig a little deeper and get a vette
I've driven Vettes and they are great but I just don't like them. I hate the looks of them.
__________________
Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-08-2015, 03:17 AM
gawdzilla gawdzilla is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye-5 View Post
My 240 is a blast but after every long weekend, I wonder if all the effort is worth it.
Ummm.. This x10000 for me too, lol. at the conclusion of every event, I consider selling the car for something "nicer". Wait about a week and repeat the vicious cycle again (fixing/buying parts). Rinse and repeat for 8+ years.

Oil temps are an issue I believe. The 2014+ has a beefier oil cooler IIRC but still isn't sufficient for serious track duty. I've driven one on basic coilovers and they feel big (heavy/long) and "rolly" to me. The double A arm suspension is much more modern than what we've got on the S chassis though. I believe E36 M3s are at a similar price point and seem to be quicker at less HP.

Last edited by gawdzilla; 06-08-2015 at 03:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:43 AM
eye-5 eye-5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdzilla View Post
Ummm.. This x10000 for me too, lol. at the conclusion of every event, I consider selling the car for something "nicer". Wait about a week and repeat the vicious cycle again (fixing/buying parts). Rinse and repeat for 8+ years.

Oil temps are an issue I believe. The 2014+ has a beefier oil cooler IIRC but still isn't sufficient for serious track duty. I've driven one on basic coilovers and they feel big (heavy/long) and "rolly" to me. The double A arm suspension is much more modern than what we've got on the S chassis though. I believe E36 M3s are at a similar price point and seem to be quicker at less HP.
Yup. Especially since I started hauling on a trailer. I have to pickup the trailer, drive it to my place, load up the car and all the goodies then at the end of the event repeat. It makes for really long days.

I started thinking what I want in a second autocross/trackday car and two seats is fine, not too big, not miata small, RWD and some power. The 350 really fit the bill.

After some thought, I took a ride along in a stock 350 with a front swaybar. The torque and acceleration were excellent. It felt like it handled pretty well for autocross, and I could be competitive in CS. The power seems appropriate for the car.
__________________
Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:30 AM
e1_griego e1_griego is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 1,624
Default

This is why I almost refuse to trailer my 240 -- I don't want it to become a hassle.

As far as 2nd autox car, I just built another s13 haha.

Z's strike me as easy to drive and decent all-around package that don't take a lot of money to not suck.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 AM
eye-5 eye-5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
This is why I almost refuse to trailer my 240 -- I don't want it to become a hassle.

As far as 2nd autox car, I just built another s13 haha.

Z's strike me as easy to drive and decent all-around package that don't take a lot of money to not suck.
I was towed home from the track by friends 3 times. After that I started to feel like a mooch and had to get a setup of my own.
__________________
Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 AM
NCSU.Ben NCSU.Ben is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 80
Default

2015 Mustang GT

/Thread
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-08-2015, 12:35 PM
e1_griego e1_griego is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 1,624
Default

Vette is the answer, just dat Silverado interior tho
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Matt93SE Matt93SE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,895
Default

Depends on your idea of a track car..

my 240 is dead-nuts reliable with the stock KA, but it's just not that fast.. consumables are cheap, and it's spec miata fast so I have plenty of people to play with.

A Z with bolt-ons will cost 2x as much for buy-in and will only net you a couple seconds on the track..

I also have my trailer at the house and the 240 lives in it since my garage houses the RX7. so loading up is as difficult as checking air in the trailer tires, backing up the truck, and lowering the trailer onto the hitch. voila- track ready.

If I stored my trailer somewhere away from the house and had to spend half a day loading/unloading after each event, that would be completely different.

Consumable cost for the Z would also be something to look at. The cars are heavier and more powerful, so you're going to be using more tires, gas, and brakes.

IMHO, I'm happy with the 240 for a track toy. it's 'fast enough' and low maintenance. and I'm damn near the only one on this side of the state that tracks an S-chassis. I know Def is in town, but we run with different groups and I've only seen another 240 on track a couple of times in the 10 years I've been doing this.

show up when there's a 350 on track and say "yeah, that's my black Z over there". "Uhhhh which one? there's like 6 of 'em."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Style by: kreativfantasy.com
www.nissanroadracing.com