Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Universal Discussion > Introduction/Builds

Old 01-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsilver View Post
From the research I've done, unless you find a performance oriented company that specifically makes upgraded synchros for an application, almost all of the aftermarket "rebuild" kit's are sloppy copies of OEM stuff.

Liberty's Gear can face-plate it for you and do away with the synchros.

http://libertysgears.com/services/fa...modifications/
Yes, definitely looking for something more specific.

Thanks for the link. I've emailed them. Looking forward to what they come back with.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:01 AM

So Liberty Gear got back to me. They've never face-plated a CD00x transmission. It can be done, but they would require 2 transmissions from me; one sacrificial for engineering and one to build. It would be a minimum 6 month lead time as well.

I'm going to ride out the new CD00A and see how it goes. If it becomes and issue again, I'll wait until then to determine a solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started doing engine oil analysis on the VQ in 2017 with Blackstone labs. It's a great preventative tool to monitor engine and bearing wear, how much the oil has sheared down, and contamination. It also will establish a concrete oil change interval (i.e.-$$ in my pocket). Redline oil isn't cheap and just assuming when it was time to change always bugged me. Like throwing money in the garbage.

I sent it virgin Redline 30WT Race Oil to establish a baseline on additives and viscosity. Typical high amounts of "race" oil type additives like Zinc, Molybdenum, and phosphorous:

The analysis below shows two tests, one from 4/3/2017 and one from 10/5/2017. The 4/3 test was actually on standard Redline 5W/30 High Performance oil and 10/5 was on the 30WT Race oil (a short interval of Liqui-Moly was used in between). You can see the 5W/30 oil has less zinc, phosphorous and Molybdenum vs the Race Oil, which are anti-wear and friction modifiers. The 5W/30 does contain more calcium, which I believe is used as a detergent for standard street car use.

The viscosity numbers of the 10/5 analysis showed that the oil sheared down when comparing to the 4/3 test. I ended up doing a change after that 23 hour interval, but in hindsight I should've done 5-10 more hours like they suggested in the comments. If you look at the viscosity numbers on the virgin 30WT report above, they are basically identical to my 10/5 report. I should've done the virgin report first and foremost.

All the wear numbers are within limits, except aluminum is a hair on the high side when compared to their universal averages. I'm expecting higher metals since I'm only racing.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 AM

what I find interesting is that Blackstone has been in business for HOW MANY DECADES, and still doesn't have reference virgin samples of stuff like Redline 30wt? or do they just say that to make you pay an additional sampling fee for your chosen oil?
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 01-16-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
what I find interesting is that Blackstone has been in business for HOW MANY DECADES, and still doesn't have reference virgin samples of stuff like Redline 30wt? or do they just say that to make you pay an additional sampling fee for your chosen oil?
Of course they did lol. The last sample prior to mine was in 2011. I figured I'd update their database

Their 2011 sample had more Calcium and less Boron.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:08 AM

Loving the build thread gills! Really cool to see all of the engineering work y'all are putting into the car. You're inspiring me to start my build thread lol.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingy49 View Post
Loving the build thread gills! Really cool to see all of the engineering work y'all are putting into the car. You're inspiring me to start my build thread lol.
Thanks, bud. The more traffic and posting we get on this site, the better, so do it!

Any progress on the S14 rear suspension CAD analysis?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:05 PM

That's a good point. I've gotten about half the writing and pictures prepped. So it should be sometime soon.

I haven't done any work on it in a while. I went full beans on the turbo build and did it start to finish over my winter break. Hopefully this weekend or next I'm gonna get a day on my friend's lift. I'll install my adjustable arms and then get a bunch of pictures of the pickup points. I should actually just do the whole underside while I have it up in the air. Never know when it will come in handy.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:02 AM

Any A/V experts out there?

I have my solution for data telemetry, but I'm still researching live streaming video. Will most likely be using a 4G hotspot inside the car. Don't want to use a phone. I want to use the action cams I already have/will have (GoPro, Mobius, etc.).

It will be possible to embed the live video on the Podium page with all the data so this needs to be done!
Old 01-26-2018, 07:20 AM

I think it's been done with a raspberry pi n go pro. I can't find the link at the moment but figure I let you know incase you have better luck searching for it
Old 01-26-2018, 07:27 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/externa...streaming/amp/

https://medium.com/@racecast.me/addi...m-c47195deabd5