Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Universal Discussion > Composites Forum

Old 05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Copycat

Send a message via AIM to turtl631

Great instructions. Glassing is really easy-peazy, I'm sure it's tough to get a nice smooth finish but if you're just reinforcing things structurally or making parts that would be tough to produce otherwise, it's definitely worth the minimal effort, mess, and fumes.

Ahmed, if you try glassing inside your apt, you're gonna be sleeping in the car for a while.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

I would say go with woven glass in the ~6 oz size vs. mat. Mat is good for building up bulk for cheap, but woven will pretty much always beat it out for strength vs. weight.

You can buy Bondo brand polyester resin and woven fiberglass at Wal-Mart in the auto section if you're just doing a small project like this. High markup, but you're only dealing with a little bit of stuff so it helps to not pay for shipping. Expect about $10-12 for the resin and glass. Get some 60 grit sandpaper while you're there to rough stuff up.

It's super easy to apply, just follow the directions and mix up a little resin at a time(not more than you can do in about 2 mins), and cut the glass out before you mix the resin.

Cut the glass at a 90 degree bias to the strands(i.e. perpendicular), and lay them in lines you'd like to reinforce about 4-5" wide.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 05-20-2010, 04:16 AM

my bro has made a mould for a CF bonnet that we hope will come out at about 7-8lb, but at the moment getting the resin infusion technique down is proving pretty tricky. We would quite like to try some pre-preg but this mould isn't designed to take the heat required to cure so we'll have to stave off trying that.

13lb for a glass bonnet is a good effort, and provided you can get the additional support in the required places to achieve the strength then that is very good value for money.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

Took off the wood and it dropped to 12.5#.

It fits pretty good. Doesn't look like it will take much to get it all right except for the latch. The latch bar on the hood doesn't go down nearly far enough to latch into the car latch. I ordered hood pins and think I will remove the stock latch completely.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logr View Post
Took off the wood and it dropped to 12.5#.

It fits pretty good. Doesn't look like it will take much to get it all right except for the latch. The latch bar on the hood doesn't go down nearly far enough to latch into the car latch. I ordered hood pins and think I will remove the stock latch completely.
Good to know on the latch bar and I'll probably remove it too.. I wasn't really liking it anyways, looked like it would fail on the first trip down the front straight of SRP!
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 PM

Umm yeah. I never rely on latches on anything but OEM hoods- especially if you're doing 100+ in a draft. damn near shook the hood hinges off the car when I was drafting a guy at 115.. I'd hate to see what happens with a cheap hood latch.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
Umm yeah. I never rely on latches on anything but OEM hoods- especially if you're doing 100+ in a draft. damn near shook the hood hinges off the car when I was drafting a guy at 115.. I'd hate to see what happens with a cheap hood latch.
I thought about using the latch in combination with the hood pins, but after actually taking a good look at them, I figured it was best to not even consider that. They look like they will pull out with very little force... even if you did use fiberglass to strengthen the area.

We have a big bump at the end of the front straight that can put your head into the roof if your going fast enough... I'm sure that would be enough to pop a weak latch, lol.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:48 PM
VIP Member

Friend of mine hit that bump at around 140 at the last track day in a Porsche. Rear tire blew out about then. He said it was very exciting for a while but the story has a good ending. Nothing and nobody got hurt. Not sure he will be doing many more track days though.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

I use the latch + hoodpins. Just adjust the pins so they have a little tension when closed.

The latch is enough to keep someone from casually "checking out" your engine. Not that the flimsy hood would stop them if they really wanted to, but I imagine at that point your car is going to get molested anyway.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 PM

That's why mine doens't sleep outside.