Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > 240SX S13/S14/S15

Old 12-18-2017, 02:45 PM

Default 6 point harness

Does anybody have photos of how they mounted their 6 point harness on their 240sx? The lap and shoulder belts are pretty much no brainer but I'm not sure how to do the antisubmarine belts. Schroth states 8-10 inches between the 2 of them and I'm trying to figure out how to do that with the cat hump.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Not sure how 8-10" out would help when you're constrained on the submarine hole in the seat at like 3" wide. I mounted mine on either side of the frame rail on the driver's side IIRC. I flat mounted the endlinks, which puts the bolts and endlink in bending. Everybody says to not do this, but put it where everything is in tension.

I disagreed with this approach, as you want as much compliance as possible in a sudden impact. You don't want the belts to ride up your torso, but more compliance at a high G load is almost always better than a sharp yank. I did some rough calcs and the bolt being in bending would seem to be stronger than the endlink in bending (assumed something like 1020 cold rolled steel at maybe 70 ksi yield). So on a harsh impact the endlinks would bend up slightly, giving a tad more "stretch" to everything. This is assuming the 2" dia washers hold everything into the floorpan. I made sure they overlapped with double thickness sheet metal, so it's likely they would, but the floorpan would probably provide a small amount of additional compliance.

I seem to recall the bottom 6 points were at the edges of the holes with some angle to spare, so they were as wide as they were going to be.

Some people put 6 point submarine belts back to the lap belt attachment, but that seems like an easy way to almost cut your leg off in a big hit while maybe spreading some load to your nards.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 12-18-2017, 09:14 PM

Cut that fvcking thing out man! lol

https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/...2__2014-11.pdf

That document states (page 17) 4" apart laterally for the sub anchor points at an angle from 0-20 degrees behind the vertical plane passing through the buckle/latch at your belly.

It's typically a clearance issue with eye bolts underneath the seat in s chassis when you get rid of the cat hump and slam the seat to the floor to safely fit taller drivers. In my old s13 I had to put them just behind the seat back so they were a bit further back than ideal, but had them wider so I would still be able to have children if I ever got into a wreck.

Def, don't you think the harness webbing and sheet metal anchor points themselves will make any other compliance negligible? And what are these endlinks you speak of? Direct bolt in anchor points (like page 36+ in schroth document), not latches with eye bolts?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:16 PM

Yeah you need to get rid of the cat hump for sure.

I run an aluminum seat that is bolted right to to floor and routed my 6 point to each of the lap belt mounting points. That's generally a open wheel car style mounting, but it works well for me.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:22 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
Cut that fvcking thing out man! lol

https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/...2__2014-11.pdf

That document states (page 17) 4" apart laterally for the sub anchor points at an angle from 0-20 degrees behind the vertical plane passing through the buckle/latch at your belly.

It's typically a clearance issue with eye bolts underneath the seat in s chassis when you get rid of the cat hump and slam the seat to the floor to safely fit taller drivers. In my old s13 I had to put them just behind the seat back so they were a bit further back than ideal, but had them wider so I would still be able to have children if I ever got into a wreck.

Def, don't you think the harness webbing and sheet metal anchor points themselves will make any other compliance negligible? And what are these endlinks you speak of? Direct bolt in anchor points (like page 36+ in schroth document), not latches with eye bolts?
More compliance is better in an impact, all things being equal. And yes, bolt in endlinks, not latches and eye bolts.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902