Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > 240SX S13/S14/S15

Old 08-03-2017, 03:33 PM

Default Suggested S13 Height for Rear Spoiler

I currently am running a Nascar style spoiler about 6" tall with a 2" gurney flap mounted on the trunk. We have been running this for about 1 1/2 years. IT did help to stabilize the rear a little at high speeds but I know a lot of that is probably the placebo effect. At the same time we added a splitter to the front end that extend out a couple of inches past the front bumper.

I have been doing a lot studying about rear wings. I have been wanting to make a true aerofoil shaped unit and mount it up higher to actually be in the clean air. I have came across a thin shelled aluminum extruded profile in my job duties. If any of you are familiar with the large ceiling fans called Big Ass Fans I have been given 2 blades from them measuring about 7' long. They are 2 different profile both both look very promising. One chord length is around 9" the other is approx 6". With them being aluminum then i can tig some mounting tabs on the bottom and weld end plates on.

The questions I have deal with the mounting.How high are you guys mounting your wings off of the rear deck lid and how far are they mounted forward or aft in relation to the rear of the deck lid. was thinking of fabing up simple aluminum stay similar to those used on the nascar COT wings. A lot of the Miata guys have done that and they seem to have decent results.

What is y'alls opinion. i am hoping to knock this one out in the next week or 2 before our next race at Barber in a few weeks.

Thanks guys
15' Toyota 4Runner, 07' Honda Fit
Old 08-03-2017, 03:34 PM

Oh yea I forgot to mention car is a Coupe not a Hatch.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 AM

I think finding the ideal height would take a lot of trial and error. I'd say just look at the rule book for the series you're in and go as high as it allows, given they have a restriction on wing height.

To answer your question more directly, I'd say ummm... higher than you'd need on a hatch...? I'd think roof line or a little higher would be a pretty good starting point. It also depends if you're typically power limited or traction limited. What are the typical speeds of the tracks you run. Are they won on the straights or the turns... I can't answer the height issue based on how you answer these questions. Just things to consider...

And I'd mount it as far rearward as you can. The farther back it is, the same downforce from the wing will have more leverage creating more download on the tires. It also gives the air getting displaced over the top of the car more time to return closer to trunk level allowing a lower height to be more suitable.

Last edited by ericb382; 08-07-2017 at 01:00 AM..
Old 08-07-2017, 08:27 AM

As eric said, you should look at the rules in your series - it will likely dictate both height and "length" of where you can mount it. If there are no limitations, then as he said the higher and further back the better
Old 08-07-2017, 09:20 AM

He races in chumpcar and WRL with a 1UZ swap, if I'm not mistaken. I don't believe there are very strict dimensional rules on aero in either. Only cost.

Personally, I've yet to try and reap the benefits of aero on my endurance racecars so I'm intrigued by this thread as well.

With that said, I know that most people put aero on their cars too prematurely without maximizing the mechanical grip of the car. It's fun passing cars with massive wings, splitters and similar PWR in a car that has basically zero aero.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Aim for about 12-14" off the deck for the bottom element. I'd put the leading edge of the lower element a few inches in on the trunk. That should put the trailing element just over the rear of the bumper.

Run the bottom element at about 0-3 deg aoa relative to horizontal, and the next element adjustable from about 10-30 deg. I'd go with a 3/16-1/4" slot gap in the middle position and make sure it doesn't close up under flap adjustments.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 08-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Gills is correct. I am running Chumpcar and WRL so not much regs as far as wing size goes.

Def so from what you are saying you would run a double stack setup with both foils stacked with a gap in between? I am imagining an mid 90's steeda mustang wing for example. That seems ambitious. But it may work. Is that what you are suggesting.

The reason I am wanting to add a wing is at higher speeds the rear of our car seems to get light. It wants to move around a little. The spoiler seemed to help but that has always been a temporary fix as I don't see the spoiler actually getting much air except on the two tips at the corners where the air comes around the side of the car.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

Yep, dual element wings are much more effective than a single element.

Big wing goes on bottom asmain element.

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902