Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Non-Nissan Vehicles

Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 AM
Budget Baller to the Max

Send a message via AIM to Def

I just picked up a 4th gen 4Runner for this task to replace the RSX. I really liked the RSX for what it was, but it definitely felt a bit frantic for a DD. The manual never bothered me, in fact I like that, but it was just not a relaxing car to drive home after a long day.

IMO, I'm not a huge fan of any of those options.

The Jeep is a Chrysler product that is going to be unreliable a couple of years after you buy it on average.

The Touareg is a VW - which is even worse. Basically the German equivalent of a Chrysler product. Nice interior, but do you want to be tossing

Tahoe - pretty poor gas mileage, and a really large SUV - both of which you don't seem to really want.

I'm averaging just over 22 mpg so far in my 4Runner. Which on 87 is barely more expensive than the RSX was on 93 (I tried out 87 a couple of times when the split between 87 > 93 was like 70-80 cents/gallon - it hated it).

I just need to get the Bilstein 5100's on it this weekend, then order the aftermarket hitch receiver, and it'll have a tow rating of 6300 lbs which is more than enough for a <2500 lb S13 on an open steel trailer. My problem is just finding a reasonably priced storage place for the trailer.

IMO, out of all those choices, I'd go with a new 4Runner for mid-30's. It'll hold it's value better than any of the above, and it's new, and can tow that just fine.

Honda Pilot - just bought my wife a 2013 Pilot. Great DD SUV, but I wouldn't tow anything with it. Probably has enough power, but I would not trust the trans, and the suspension has to be way too soft for any sort of reasonable tongue weight.

Same thing with a Highlander. The trans on those car based SUVs is just not going to hold up to towing that sort of load for very long, as they're typically out of a sedan, and designed around that (Camry/Accord).

'11 BMW X5 35i

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902
Old 07-25-2013, 01:10 PM

+1 on he Tahoe. Just replaced my 05 Tahoe. That thing was pretty much bullet proof, had a nice interior and was comfy on long trips. We went with a Land Rover LR. Rode a bit better than the Jeep GC which was our second choice.

Incidentally you could also look at American diesel pickups from a few years ago. The interiors are nice, they easily tow in style and get decent gas mileage, especially when tuned/deleted.

My 12 Dodge Ram Laramie getting about 24 mpg since deleted and tuned, is very comfy on long trips and towed my 240, trailer and associated life junk with no power issues from Cali to mountain Colorado in the dead of winter no problem, through 3 huge mountain ranges.

Good luck!

Ch

Sent using XT912 M
Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM

My buddy has the same gen Tahoe. It's extremely basic.

I compare it to the new gen Tahoe, and I swear to crap all they did was change a few of the body panels. Everything looks and sounds exactly the same--steering column shifter, motor sound, the seats, the 'hey we found a box radio we can just slide into the dash'. The interior still looks like trash--I can't stand those cheap blue LED's that looked like they still pulled them out of a bin they've been using since the early 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
Incidentally you could also look at American diesel pickups from a few years ago. The interiors are nice, they easily tow in style and get decent gas mileage, especially when tuned/deleted.
I might start looking into that kind of stuff too. One of my buddies swears by Duramax. I really just didn't like the idea of daily'ing with a giant bed behind me I'm never going to use all that much.

Good stuff so far. I'm still an indecisive idiot though lol, I hate sacrifices
Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM

One thing I've noticed about full sized SUV's and Pickups... People say they won't need a full sized SUV / pickup that much till they own one.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Steve View Post
One thing I've noticed about full sized SUV's and Pickups... People say they won't need a full sized SUV / pickup that much till they own one.
I never thought I really needed a truck, but I wanted one for just some random stuff. Now that I have one, I'm far beyond happy I have it... Don't think I'll ever go back to DDing a car. I still probably don't need a truck, but it's a great snow troll 4wd ftw
Old 07-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Haha true, I also hear that more people want to borrow it/you for hauling their stuff too!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0wn3r View Post
Haha true, I also hear that more people want to borrow it/you for hauling their stuff too!
Charge them. I do.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Steve View Post

So true.... The DMax inside is essentially the same as a Tahoe. That motor is pretty good, but the Allison tranny is awesome, completely bulletproof. The other big 2 only now have caught up.

If you want a bulletproof motor go Cummins common rail, but stay away from the 2007.5 Ram. Too many teething probs.

You could get a crew cab, they often have a slightly smaller beds, but like Steve and Beejus said, you wind up using them.

I've had 2 diesel Rams, my first turned into a commuter, even after I lifted it. Only reason I replaced it was the Gen 4 Ram interior/build quality was much better. New truck looks bone stock, but the deleted/tuned motor and tranny combo is pretty outrageous. It's surprising how quickly 7500+ pounds can get up and go. Still getting 24+ mpg. Tows like no tomorrow. Sounds like a jet.

uploadfromtaptalk1374861310053.jpg

Sent using XT912 M
Old 08-16-2013, 12:55 PM

From everything I've been reading, you'd be pushing the limit with a 4 runner or anything Toyota for that matter. The Touareg diesel has a 7000lb towing capacity. The new F150 eco boost (twin turbo v6) trucks can get up to 10,000 lbs capacity with decent gas mileage.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:56 PM

A friend of mine tows with a Toureg and is happy with it. He's done 22mpg towing his e36.

Another friend has a new Durango which has nice creature comforts and does well for a gasser. Did something like 16mpg towing my car.

I'm happy with my Titan. They're dirt cheap and haul nicely, with decent options for actual comfort.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4