Nissan Road Racing Forums

Go Back   Nissan Road Racing Forums > Chassis > Non-Nissan Vehicles

Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Default Austin Mini Spaceframe Project

Thought I'd share a side project I've been working on along with my brother and his boss and get some criticism (constructive!). A bit of background, I am a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Alberta and am part of the FSAE team there. My brother is an apprentice at a shop that specializes in the restoration of old British cars. His boss owns/operates the shop and used to race Mini's and Formula Fords back in the day.

We're building a spaceframe Austin Mini, using a 1968 MkII shell that has had the front end and floor cut out. It'll have a fibreglass front end and the shell will be removable. The spaceframe is designed to have the stock front subframe bolt to it, using factory suspension arms, with the pick-up points raised approximately 3". The rear suspension retains a trailing arm set-up, with coilovers. The motor will be a 1380cc A-series with twin HS6 carbs. The car will be used predominantly for slaloming and is being built to SCCA GT class specifications. We may also take it to the Knox Mountain Hillclimb in Kelowna BC as well. Tubing is 1.375 x 0.095 1025 DOM.

Any feedback/suggestions are welcome! This is the first chassis I've completely designed so it was definitely a learning experience.

Initial concept model

REV 11 (on REV 12 now) model

Rear trailing arm:

Chassis:

Body mock-up

Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Resident Grouch

pimp-tastic,

I would have never gone this far to spin the wrong wheels, it would have been just as easy maybe easier to put the motor "in the boot" but i'm sure that wouldn't fit the bill...otherwise top notch
Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 PM

I agree, a Hayabusa engine (in the back) would pull a premium one week before race wars. But part of the reason for even beginning this is that the shell was leftover and because it is partially de-seamed (we will finish it), its no good for a restoration and then then engine is a block that was sitting around as well. So outlay for parts is minimal, we only needed some material and a lot of time. Thats where my brother and I come in, since time is about the only thing of value we can offer at this point in our carreers.

Also we wanted to retain its "Mini-ness" as much as possible. Though with shortening the windshield and the flares, it does give some idea to what lies below. Narrower flares would be better, but the 225 wide slicks need it. For reference, my brothers summer Mini runs 165 AO32Rs on 10x6" wheels, which is on the wide side for a mini.

For RWD fun the boss has a Lotus Super 7 replica with a 4AG and twin 40DCOE Webers we sometimes take out.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Looks like one helluva fun car.
Just FYI, in order to be SCCA legal, you're going to have to stick the flares out a tad bit more. can't have any tire showing from looking directly above the tire w/ wheels pointed straight.

otherwise, that's badass.
And yes, a FWD mini can keep up with the other RWD cars in GTLite.

Why don't you post some photos of this on the GT racing forum? You could get intelligent help from some guys that have built and raced minis....
'04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 PM

Good to know! They are currently just taped in place. They well be glassed into the FRP front end. The final plan is to have the sidewall tuck just inside the lip of the flare that curls 90* at the outer edge.

Well at our local slalom events, there is a 2010 GT-R with 295 Hoosiers on Volk RE30s, so our goal is to beat that. 120bhp and 1200lbs (dry) should be fun.

Like SCCA GT forum? I never even thought of that. Or do you mean gt-racecar.com (just the first one that popped up on google). We likely will never race in an SCCA event being in Edmonton, Alberta, but we wanted to keep our options open.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:33 PM

Yeah, gt-racecar.com They're 95% SCCA racers, and a couple Pro (Trans-Am) guys that slum with the GT-1 guys when there's nothing interesting going on.
But there's definitely a lot of good info there. some real bright guys that can comment on true race car geometry. no offense to anyone here, but for all the talk we do here, we're poseurs in comparison to engineering a REAL race car.
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 01-28-2012, 07:55 AM

Reminds me of the local mini that runs solo, ha...

Of course yours looks like it will be a bit more aesthetically pleasing, lol
Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 AM

What's not pleasing about that? it's a car. with slicks. and functional wings. I bet it goes real fast. look awesome to me.
'96 240SX- The Track Toy
Old 01-30-2012, 02:28 PM

Haha it will be pretty similar, though as Matt93SE stated, the tires need to be covered, so our flares will be a tad less...revealing.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Hide yo kids-hide yo wife

Send a message via AIM to CodyAce

that looks like a fun little ride!