No announcement yet.

2018: Def's S13 Lives On, and I Increase My Drive:Wrench Ratio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea...I really need to get some wrench time. Not easy with a 7 month old and all the grandparents out of town, albeit 1.5 hours away with fairly frequent visits. At this point I need to do some drives around the block, work on the tune with the bigger injectors, bleed coolant etc. I have a little leak at the neck of the head which is going to drive me crazy too, don't know where it's from at this point. Maybe the rocker shaft plug.
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

I'd say you have a reasonable set of excuses there. I'm in the midst of a big engine swap in my s14 that I started about a year ago. School and FSAE take all my time so who knows when I'll actually get it done. Pesky life keeps getting in the way

Comment

A leak from the freeze plug for the rocker shaft? I replaced that and put some Indian head gasket maker on it before driving it in, but easy enough to replace with everything still installed. Odd that it didn’t leak until now tho.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

theultimatehero: I'm trying not to let them be excuses but they are. I work pretty erratic hours so its hard to set up any sort of routine or schedule. ER life...

Def: Seems like it was probably from the Delrin plug for the CAS. A light coating of RTV seems to have stopped it. I have another small leak from the passenger side that I think may be the oil distribution block for the VVL solenoids.
          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
            theultimatehero: I'm trying not to let them be excuses but they are. I work pretty erratic hours so its hard to set up any sort of routine or schedule. ER life...

Def: Seems like it was probably from the Delrin plug for the CAS. A light coating of RTV seems to have stopped it. I have another small leak from the passenger side that I think may be the oil distribution block for the VVL solenoids.
            The block that mounts to the back of the head? The o-rings from Mazworx were pretty thin there. Might be worth bumping the thickness up if you determine that's the source of the leak.

Or are you talking about the single VVL solenoid that's hanging off the pass side of the engine bay?

Comment

Def:. You've mentioned that Indian Head shellac a few times now, I think I need to grab some. What applications would you use it over RTV?

Regarding the passenger side oil leak, I'm referring to the aluminum box that connects the two oil lines from the Mazworx plate to the solenoid line. I noticed a few drops of oil on it and I had wiped everything dry before filling it up and starting to crank. I ordered some dye and a UV flashlight so I should be able to track it down once I get the car running. This leak is small and away from the exhaust so my level of concern is much lower.

Def helped me with some remote troubleshooting help and infinity tuner 101. We found some free software so he could remote into my laptop and walk me through some of the quirks of infinity tuner. We discovered that my fuel pressure is super high on cranking, 90-100 which could be part of the problem. Getting some crank sensor errors with cranking as well.

I hooked the fuel pump up directly to an extra battery I had laying around so I could set the base fuel pressure which I put at 50 psi, it was previously at 58 in anticipation of pushing the limits of the 7163 with E85 and ID1000 injectors. I've gone to ID1300X injectors so I have a little more headroom now and can back off the base fuel pressure. I had loosened the jam nut in anticipation of backing the base fuel pressure off a bit previously, and I think it may have gone out of adjustment somewhat.

It seems that a bigger part of the problem is that the vacuum fitting on the side bottoms out against the spring in the FPR, causing it to bind. It had moved a little bit when I was tightening down the vacuum line and I think maybe it bumped into the mechanism. I took out this fitting, ground the end down a bit to get more clearance, and loaded it up with Teflon tape and reinstalled with no interference. The Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator really does not inspire confidence, it bleeds down fuel pressure within a few seconds. Hopefully this has fixed the problem. At this point if I have more fuel pressure regulator issues I will have a pretty low threshold to moving to a different unit, probably Radium since the rail and fuel pulse damper are Radium and I am happy with them..

One of my limiting factors of getting this thing going has been battery charge, I only have a battery tender which puts out 0.75 amps so once the battery voltage starts to drop I have to throw in the towel. A beefier charger should be arriving today.

Next step is to try to get the thing started with different ignition offsets. I have found a range where it fires very briefly and perhaps it was just too rich to catch with the fuel pressure regulator messed up before.
              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

So it's leaking from -6 to dual -4 box? Maybe my crappy welds. I pressure tested it at 90 psi when I made it, but maybe a crack developed somewhere.

You could always toss in a Y fitting if it's really leaking from the distribution box:

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...15183/10002/-1

Sucks that the FRP was binding up on that fitting - sounds like you did the fix I should have done when I first noticed it was a bit wonky.

The Indian Head shellac is a really really thick/viscous goo. I used it on stuff like the freeze plugs where it will tend to stick into the joint vs. RTV that would likely just press out.

Anything that's a tight press fit without much space for RTV to hang out in, or could be pressed out, I'd go with the shellac. It makes an absolute mess once it dries though.

Comment

Can you tell us more about the Mazda? Best car in the post so far.

I think you should turbo a ka24de and drive it in the mountains there after.

Letting someone remote into your laptop and potentially exposing your browser history? Brave and foolish.

Comment

IS this a troll post?!?!?

Comment

It's a guy who suddenly finds himself with time on his hands but doesn't want to do a build thread because he doesn't do much building. Toss it up sucka!!
                      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Quick update: car runs and drives. Def swung through town with his MR2 and we had a touge battle. Or... We datalogged some pulls and worked on the tune. I fixed the leaks. I swapped in drivers side Sparco Evo I had purchased for my S14. Passenger side Sparco Evo II US needs fixed bracket tweaked. Hoping to get out to Blackhawk on July 16. If something comes up, I have track pads for the M3 now.
                        ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                          It's a guy who suddenly finds himself with time on his hands but doesn't want to do a build thread because he doesn't do much building. Toss it up sucka!!
                          You build, I drive.............. to and from work.

My build thread will be updated once every major career milestone, so maybe expect one in 2 years when I graduate fellowship. That seems to be the going rate on this forum anyhow.

Comment

I got the new Sparco seats in on both sides. Did some sweet custom fab on the passenger side. Fun little project. I had bought these on sale for the S14, then bought Def's car. The existing seats had a bit too much ass sweat for me

Nah, they were fine but with nice new seats on the shelf I figured why not. Driver seat was an old generic fiberglass jobber, nice and snug for my JDM frame, and passenger was an old Recaro PP SPG. I've already moved that one on to a local guy.

I installed a set of Kouki tails that I've always wanted with LED bulbs. I know, the trim piece isn't painted, I'll hit it someday.

I'll probably throw some wide fenders and side skirts on the car this winter and attempt to paint it some different color, maybe a green. The cosmetics are far from perfect so pressure is low.

I bought a too expensive set of Nismo LMGT4 in 18x10.5 +15 and mounted up a set of 275/35 NT01s I got mad cheap when Discount Tire did their $100 off $400 eBay sale this year (did this twice using wife's account as well for $200 off total). No great reason for this other than just wanting some baller wheels on the car. They're not particularly close to fitting now but this is stock (heavily massaged) S13 steel so no surprise there. I figure they're cool Nismo wheels in good GT-R sizing so I can sell them or put them on a GT-R in the future depending how things go. I'm all over the place on future fleet ideas (R3x GT-R? Boxster? GT3?? Taycan? ND Miata? FD RX7?) but nothing is changing anytime soon.

Also want to build fixed clear lens headlights, the frogeye lights on this car are hideous and suck at night. I'll likely use a Chinese BiLED projector to keep it simple and modern. I'm surprised nobody offers something already but space is pretty limited and the lens angle isn't great. I don't care, happy to hack things up to make it fit.

Accidentally drained my battery enough to cause it to get the LiFePO4 death swell. Replaced with Zippy 8400 mAh unit for double the capacity. I removed the current limiting resistor pack and ditched the SLA battery that was also in the mix. Def added this when the 4200 mAh lithium was insufficient to stay the higher comp VE engine. So, I spent some money but simplified though and dropped weight, at potential risk of running out of battery in cold weather. I'll keep a close eye on it. Seems that high charging current is what will kill it if it drops low in the cold.

My GK Tech Z33 shifter and DSG delrin knob had horrible vibration. I used some Scotch tape around the shaft to take up all slack but this didn't help. Must be the knob itself so I wrapped the shaft just adjacent to the threaded portion with some of that self fusing silicone tape. Haven't driven the car since, hope it works because its annoying AF and I'm getting in the habit of driving around with my hand on the shifter just to dampen it!

Last edited by turtl631; 08-26-2018, 10:21 PM.
                            ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

The tuning process since dropping in the ID1300X injectors has been a big learning experience. Def was out here in June and we made some big changes and got it running okay, at least in rough ballpark so I could putt around town. Since then I've been logging street drives to work on the tune, which consists of sending the logs to Def since I have little idea what I'm doing both with Infinity Tuner and ICE tuning. I'm learning lots though and really wrapping my head around the car. Its a unique experience taking over a a heavily modified car that someone else built, albeit with copious internet documentation. I've driven the car to work and around town a bit which has been nice for building confidence that it won't ASPLODE on track. Hope to have her out 9/13 at the Milwaukee Mile.
                              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X