2018: Def's S13 Lives On, and I Increase My Drive:Wrench Ratio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018: Def's S13 Lives On, and I Increase My Drive:Wrench Ratio

Almost 3 months in, time to get posting. There's at least 2 people reading - me and Def! I'll do my best to keep the forum here alive. It still surprises me how few people track these cars, but I doubt that will change. I see I screwed up my title...should read I Increase My Drive:Wrench Ratio.. Sigh.

So in 2017 I bought Def's S13. Koni 8611, built SR20 with VE head, EFR 7163 , Cusco RS diff, half cage, some aero, etc. It smoked a little driving around town which turned out to be the small M6 bolt clamping the head to the block on the driver's side rear of the engine. This hole was stripped so the head gasket was weeping oil. Near the turbine. Also I money shifted from 3 to 2 going down the front straight at the Milwaukee Mile. Motor seemed fine but actually it tossed a few shims. Finally, Def's budget baller aluminum alt bracket cracked.

Since the car would be down a while and the head needed to come off anyways, I figured I'd swap in the Z33 gearbox too. All of these tasks took longer than I had hoped and then we had a baby so I've been out of commission a while. I used my meager garage time to do cosmetic mods on my M3, and started daydreaming about getting a R32 GT-R track car with twin EFRs, some baller dampers etc. Then the kid started sleeping a little better, the weather turned a corner and I came to my senses and started working on getting the S13 back up.

Basically, I just want to get it driving again and do a few track days in it. I do want to track the M3 but the Nissan should be the primary track car or why even own it?? I feel like I've already switched up enough so I'm going to keep things the same generally. Changes at this point include alt mount, injectors and fuel rail, flywheel, and transmission.

For the rest of the year, I may toss on some wide fenders and run the 275/35/18 NT01s I picked up when Discount Tire did their eBay $100 off $400 sale. I need some wheels for these still, probably will get something cool that I could run on a GT-R someday like CE28 or LMGT4 in 18x10.5. However, I have a set of 255 NT01s on the car with some life left so no rush.

I actually have a set of RS3 in 255/40/17 on a set of RPF1s that haven't been run as well. These were going to go on my S14 that I sold. I want to keep a set of 17s with street tires for street driving when it's cooler or rainy track days. Is something like a Continental ExtremeContact Sport or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that much better in the wet than an RS3 type tire that it would be worth getting a set and selling the RS3s?

The last few days I was shimming the head. Spec is supposedly 0.008" intake, 0.012" exhaust, checked cold, and +/- 0.002". I got mostly 0.007" intake so I shot for that rather than trying to swap out all my shims to drop one thou. I bought a set of KTM shims because they fit. I also ended up carefully sanding a few of the stockers down to get me what I needed. Numbers on the right are final. I think this is good enough. When they weren't the same on a cylinder they seemed pretty close, like I could barely slip the 0.012" feeler gauge in one and the other maybe the 0.011" gauge was pretty loose but the 0.013" just wouldn't go. I haven't done something like this before but it would seem things are pretty close.

Hooray, things bolted down...I took this thing apart in August iirc.

At this point I just have to remember where everything goes and put it back together. Then retune for the ID1300s. I'm curious what she'll do with E85 on kill mode. Don't want to overspin the snail and blow up the turbine. I'll be running it conservative on track though.

Here's my daily that keeps me distracted. If I do anything cool with this I'll post a little about it.

Wife's car on the winter rolling stock. Beautiful inside and out with nice dynamics for a CUV, but I wish it had the turbo 2.5 Mazda puts in the CX-9, at least as an optional upgrade. The cheaper CUV market is pretty weak for the enthusiast. The Forester XT is about it, and it's a CVT. And a Subaru. I think Mazda was betting on the diesel and then VW ruined it for everyone. I'm going to have to resist the temptation to get her a used Cayenne next. I know a guy with an interesting story about used German SUVs with a warranty..

Last edited by turtl631; 03-27-2018, 10:23 PM.
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

awesome man! what adapter plate are you using to swap in the z33 trans?

just a heads up whenever doing valve lash, in turbo applications, if you cant get it to the manufacture specs, its better for the exhaust side to be on the looser side of the +/- limits.

ive never dealt with sr20s and im not sure what your sanding to get your specs but be aware some parts are coated to prevent them from wearing out when rubbing against other metals.

Comment

When shimming a VE head you have to remember when measuring valve lash, you need to measure with the opposing shim on the same rocker/cylinder NOT installed. Its basically the last line in the FSM on the valve shim page (and makes me understand why it takes a bit of time to properly shim a VE head). Also, the FSM states the rocker ratio is 1.58 (or there abouts). So with some math, you can 90% of the time shim the head correctly the first go at it.

Difference from rocker fingers on same cylinder should be +/- 0.05 (or something like that).

I ended up shimming the head a total of 4 times because I kept discovering new things in the FSM lol. Also yes, keep the exhaust a little looser. As things heat up, the clearances will reduce.

Comment

Wait... how would having no shim on the other valve affect the rocker you’re measuring? Aren’t the rockers floating on the rocker shaft?

Btw, liking the updates. Wish I had a project to work on too. A big part of me misses the S13.

Don’t miss the used German SUV experience tho... stay away unless you want to try your patience!!!
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Although the rockers are floating, it actually DOES change the lash measurement if one shim is in place or not. I measured it both ways and the difference was significant enough to require shimming as per the FSM (one shim in place). There is seemingly some twist with how the rocker actuates or is mounted as the rockers are indeed floating and not fixated on the shaft.

Comment

Page two at the bottom. See arrow

Rocker Ratio and subsequent equation

Comment

Fixed the title for you!

Glad to see you get back to it.

Comment

Never knew that you do one shim at a time SOB. I have been doing them both in at the same time lol. On a side note talking to some NZ guys he says they run the beehive springs and retainers and don't have problems spitting shims.

Comment

Are the stated lash specs for the cam/rocker interface, or for the rocker/valve interface? In other words, do I need to do math using the rocker ratio to figure out actual valve lash after measuring at the cam/rocker interface? Good grief. I’m pretty sure I’m just going to run it as is.

Edit: I’m going to leave this post here, but it was kind of a derp moment. I think I get it now.
                  Last edited by turtl631; 03-29-2018, 02:09 AM.
                  ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Step 5 - measure between cam and rocker. It's not a stupid question - it's not the same on all engines!!! Hondas do between measurements rocker and valve.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Yep just as the fsm states. Measure between the low lobes and the rocker pads. Also front to back is basically left and right. Remember the rocker faces inwards and actual pads face the front and back of the engine.

Now I know why it takes so long. Word of advice; use a spreadsheet and do 4 rocker pads at a time, one pad for each piston. Did mine in less than 2 hours that way

Comment

Did you take the camshaft out to remove shims or did you compress the valve spring somehow?
                        ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

There is no tool that I know of that allows you to remove the shims with the cam in place. I asked Nick hunter about this very same topic and that was also his conclusion.

Comment

Hm. I may revisit this but I think what I have should be good enough and I have bigger fish to fry. Need to bolt everything back up to the motor and I took it apart like 8 months ago so my memory is a little hazy on how everything goes together...trying to just do this once and not have to take things apart repeatedly. I need to get "in the mind of Def" for hose/wire routing etc. Actually everything is pretty logical but there's just a lot going on under the IM.

I think I need to weld up an exhaust bracket to my new trans x-member too. Which means I need more gas for my MIG machine. At any rate, basically just need to bolt up the entire intake and exhaust track, add fluids, tweak tune for bigger injectors, and let 'er rip.
                            ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Any comments on rainy/wet track day tires? You guys just run your R comps or does anyone use street tires on those days? I've been to a fair amount of wet track days around here, its definitely a thing. Not too keen on driving to the track on NT01s in the rain.
                              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X