Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core4 Motorsports Endurance Racing Saga...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accurate. That's reading off the ECU through the AiM dash. I believe the sensor is on the rear coolant tube coming off the heads of the VQ. I have another sensor for the standard AEM gauges as well to confirm things (as well as oil temp and pressure).

You're fine at that temperature. I'm sure you have a higher pressure rad cap? Don't forget, the Friday of that weekend there was a very light coating of snow on the ground. That particular day there was only a high of 63 with an average daily temp of 43.

The NJMP race the next month on that hotter, humid Sunday, the water temps were pushing 215-220 when stuck close behind other cars.

With all that said, I need to seal the cowl area of the the custom hood we have. The car is running a bit warmer than it did with the old hood.
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

• Anyone have Assetto Corsa for sim racing and want to mess around?

I've been practicing Mid-Ohio chicane layout in the E30 M3 Group A upgraded to DTM spec for the upcoming Mid-Ohio race. Using the default tire (medium slick), no traction control or ABS, and optimal track conditions I mustered a 1:32.035. I'm getting close to a 1:31.

Car is an absolute riot. Just the right amount of old school mixed in with modern tech/chassis feel and a 395bhp NA I4 that revs to 9k.

Let's see what you got!
      Last edited by gills; 09-24-2018, 07:06 AM.
      Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• OK, really dorking out over here in an effort to silence the crickets. Here's the Assetto Corsa Mid-Ohio lap:

https://youtu.be/0puWcRofNds
        Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• Looks like a lot of terminal understeer - any way to tune that out?
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Yea there's a bunch of different settings to mess with. A big one was I turned down the accel diff lock % and it made a huge difference with making the car less of a handful coming back on the throttle over all those crested turns at mid-o. Also softened the front arb.

But that's also the virtual world issue with sim racing. It's difficult sometimes to distinguish whether you're overdriving or not.

You have Assetto or iRacing?
            Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• man this makes me want to build a pc. i hate how this whole digital currency shot up the prices of video cards. i was browsing around online and they have like official races online with a bunch of members from different forums.

do you use the oculus rift? the youtube footage of people using it looks really cool on assetto corsa.

Comment

• Originally posted by gills View Post
                Yea there's a bunch of different settings to mess with. A big one was I turned down the accel diff lock % and it made a huge difference with making the car less of a handful coming back on the throttle over all those crested turns at mid-o. Also softened the front arb.

But that's also the virtual world issue with sim racing. It's difficult sometimes to distinguish whether you're overdriving or not.

You have Assetto or iRacing?
                Nah, I have zero time to do stuff like work on my real car and house. Wish I had time for something like that...
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Originally posted by clotuning View Post
                  man this makes me want to build a pc. i hate how this whole digital currency shot up the prices of video cards. i was browsing around online and they have like official races online with a bunch of members from different forums.

do you use the oculus rift? the youtube footage of people using it looks really cool on assetto corsa.
                  They've come down in price since the beginning of the year. Plus, the new generation nvidia GPU's were just released so the 1080GTX should be lower in price now. I did read that there may a shortage from Intel for CPU's though, so check that if you want to build something soon.

Yes, Oculus Rift. The replay I linked to doesn't show my VR view. It's just a single monitor replay.

Originally posted by Def
                  Nah, I have zero time to do stuff like work on my real car and house. Wish I had time for something like that...
                  I feel you. Sacrifices are made everywhere...i.e.-my real car for the street has been sitting collecting cobwebs. House work.....eh, overrated
                  Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• Finally created a Facebook page:
                    https://www.facebook.com/core4motorsports

Give it a like! Will likely have live-streaming links shared in there before here.
                    Last edited by gills; 10-12-2018, 08:19 AM.
                    Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• I have Assetto and a wheel/pedal setup, but its been a few months since i last played it. Thought that finding and joining online lobbies was somewhat difficult due to all of the custom cars and tracks. If I didn't have one of the cars in my library that was in the server it wouldn't let me join.

Comment

• Yea, the online component of Assetto is lacking, especially compared to the grand daddy of online/multiplayer, iRacing. I only messed around once online and that was just to meet up with a buddy for some random testing. It's great for getting practice in quickly though. And it's fun to setup AI races quickly, although the AI for the user generated Mid-Ohio Chicane course isn't good.

Speaking of Mid-Ohio, my wife gifted me my iRacing subscription renewal so I've been messing around in that also. The difference between the user generated track in Assetto and iRacing real life laser scan is significant, which I guess isn't surprising. The Assetto version is WAY bumpier, the rumbles/curbing are too aggressive, and the elevation change in the later parts of the track aren't captured as well.

The physics between the two is very similar. I think iRacing's force feedback and steering feel felt more natural off the bat, but the amount of adjustments you can make to optimize FFB in both can be overwhelming so I don't want to pick a clear winner yet.

That said, iRacing has plenty of cons that I'm sure you're aware of. But, for me, the AER racers group usually hosts iracing sessions prior to all events. A big plus.

DL and install the Mid-ohio chicane course and rip on it on it solo!
                        Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• Hmmm, probably the only time they'll look this clean I'm sure. But, regardless, we've wanted white wheels for awhile now especially with a red car. Powder-coated Honda Championship White. Trying to stand out from the sea of BMW's.

Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• Mid-Ohio race prep is moving along. As mentioned before, I really wanted to do a spring rate change. Either drop the front rate about 100 lbs/in or increase the rear rate 50 lbs/in to dial out some of the mid-corner understeer the car has at the moment.

Since a spring change is a semi-PITA, I was initially going to throw in a stock S14 rear bar to move the roll couple rearward out of simplicity. After messing with my suspension spreadsheet a bit it probably wouldn't have been enough of a shift. I then stumbled upon an S15 OEM 21mm rear bar on ebay. It's a diameter that falls right in the middle of OEM bars and aftermarket ones and it's tubular. Weighs nothing vs aftermarket ones which are almost always solid. Made a low-ball offer and the guy accepted.

I just wanted to use the existing brackets, but the bushings were taller:

The bar also needs to be spaced down from the subframe since the subframe is raised and there's potential for the bar to hit the gas tank on an S14. So, I machined some stepped aluminum spacers to use the new bushing and space it down:

I also wanted some adjustability. So I flattened the end more on a press and drilled another hole.

stock:

Flattened and drilled:

I then realized that I didn't want to use the OEM style end-links and still had the nice adjustable spherical end-links from the 24mm Progress bar I used to have on the car. But, OEM bar end-link mounting look like the above pictures. Need the mounting holes rotated 90 degrees.

So? My overkill solution; I made up some aluminum clevis' with 3 different lever arm positions to mount to the two holes now on the sway bar:

But, my first test install revealed that there was too much mis-alignment with the spherical. Using some washers to rotate the clevis into a position that would work to get an idea of how much I need to move:

Nothing a little oxy-acetylene heat can't fix! Probably partially annealed that area, but it's not of concern:

Voila. My 21mm adjustable tubular adjustable rear sway bar:

Should be interesting to see how it helps at Mid-Ohio, which is very technical and undulating and will destroy the front tires if the car is understeering a lot. Will obviously report back on the change.

Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• As white as they'll ever be....

Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• Racing right now. About 3.5 hours left. Class 4 competition is strong this weekend! Mid-Ohio is an amazing track!

Live in-car stream: https://youtu.be/FU44f0l4rTo

Live telemetry: https://podium.live/events/aer-mid-o...r/device/s14vq
                                Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                                X