Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core4 Motorsports Endurance Racing Saga...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to say hat + hardware is in the ~1.7-1.8 lb range.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Yea that sounds about right with the hat+hardware.

I haven't had them completely off since last race. Just inspection on the car. But, really looking forward to seeing your car on the ground.

Oh, and was it you (or someone you know) posting on the AER FB page how a 250 bhp, 1900lbs with driver Toyota 4age Corolla would be classed in AER? Poster's name was Troy and I think from around your area.
      Core4 Motorsports
      CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
      S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

• Originally posted by gills View Post
        I've always been in the "you don't modulate your brakes based on pedal travel" camp so I've been skeptical of going smaller. But, after conversations with PFC and a few others, I decided to try the 15/16" BMC for the NJMP race.

The result was just 'meh.' I could definitely feel the longer pedal travel when compared to the 1" BMC, but the modulation and feel was similar to the 1" BMC to me. My co-driver thought it was worse.

Next up was the 17/16" BMC that we just ran at an open test day last Friday. No other changes on the car except for that. It was a unanimous decision; we have a winner! Everything about the change was positive. Higher pedal force threshold to lock up the brakes, shorter travel, easier to modulate. It really addressed most of our complaints (until we get bored and try to find more) about our Frankenstein braking system.

My current setup which is the best the brakes have felt yet all around. And to top it off, they don't squeal. Huge fan of the PFC compounds so far:[LIST][*]B13 Sentra non-abs booster (this is important)[*]17/16" brake master cyclinder (not shimmed)
        I have the same philosophy as you when it comes to master cylinders. I was reminded of my lack of a B13 booster tonight when I found out my dad's 330K+ mile Pathfinder booster went out. I went from stock 15/16 to 17/16 and was considering going 16/16 some time ago (because my 15/16 was a drum master, much lower pressure to the rear - which did brake better) ultimately decided I'd rather spend half as much on an adjustable proportioning valve than as I would have a sub-optimal master that probably wouldn't have made MUCH difference.

Comment

• Appreciate all the race posts, nice detail. Enduro racing seems like a lot of fun. And money and work. I'll take being a trackday junky for now with the baby. I'm sure its a whole different ballgame needing to stay sharp for that period of time. I think about this a fair amount with regards to my job, which is minimal physical fatigue and maximal mental/decision making fatigue. Enduro racing is more of a mix, especially if you add bad weather to the mix. But regardless, decay of decision making capability of the human brain due to physical or mental fatigue is very real, and properly managing it is key to success.

Also you want this Cusco RS diff?!? I'm trying to sell stuff on Zilvia and FB, please just kill me.
          ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

• Originally posted by 94MaxGXE View Post

I have the same philosophy as you when it comes to master cylinders. I was reminded of my lack of a B13 booster tonight when I found out my dad's 330K+ mile Pathfinder booster went out. I went from stock 15/16 to 17/16 and was considering going 16/16 some time ago (because my 15/16 was a drum master, much lower pressure to the rear - which did brake better) ultimately decided I'd rather spend half as much on an adjustable proportioning valve than as I would have a sub-optimal master that probably wouldn't have made MUCH difference.

What brake setup do you run now? Elaborate on the drum master and better braking. And, definitely source a B13 booster if it's a car that is mainly a track rat. Even when I had my S13 manual trans booster, with Z32 brakes an a 17/16 BMC on Hawk DTC-60/HT-10, the braking was binary; on-off switch. So easy to lock up with that setup.

At some point in the not so distant future I will probably end up running a dual MC with a balance bar setup. How I go about that is very up in the air.

Originally posted by turtl631

Appreciate all the race posts, nice detail. Enduro racing seems like a lot of fun. And money and work. I'll take being a trackday junky for now with the baby. I'm sure its a whole different ballgame needing to stay sharp for that period of time. I think about this a fair amount with regards to my job, which is minimal physical fatigue and maximal mental/decision making fatigue. Enduro racing is more of a mix, especially if you add bad weather to the mix. But regardless, decay of decision making capability of the human brain due to physical or mental fatigue is very real, and properly managing it is key to success.

Also you want this Cusco RS diff?!? I'm trying to sell stuff on Zilvia and FB, please just kill me.

Ha! Ughghgghhhh man, I really do want that diff. I'm not in a good position [yet] to procure that from you. But, my last outing conveniently reminded me as to why it would be great to have another rear setup with a different final drive. My old final worked so much better at that particular track and there's a strong possibility that AER will be running there next year. Having another rear is definitely part of the 2019 race season though so if you still have it in a few months, it will be sold to me

Thanks for the appreciation. Enduro racing is definitely not for everyone, but it certainly is fun as all hell and I love to share the experience and what I learn along the way. I was a track day junkie and just got bored.

As far as money/work, this is where the team aspect comes into play big. Every team is different, but costs are divided and we all know our roles. Only way this works. There are teams that are solely a business for "arrive & drive" guys, but they rarely do well.

Wait, how far from Mid-Ohio are you? We're going to be there for the AER event on the weekend of 10/19. We could always use some help if you're up for it! It'll be our first time there. I actually just built a gaming PC and got VR goggles so I can start learning/practicing new tracks again with sim racing (Assetto Corsa and iRacing).
            Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• Mid Ohio would be quite a haul, I'm in Wisconsin. But thanks for the offer!
              ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

What brake setup do you run now? Elaborate on the drum master and better braking. And, definitely source a B13 booster if it's a car that is mainly a track rat. Even when I had my S13 manual trans booster, with Z32 brakes an a 17/16 BMC on Hawk DTC-60/HT-10, the braking was binary; on-off switch. So easy to lock up with that setup..
                Current setup is 17/16" Master, M195T 205/180mm dual diaphragm booster (stupidly soft, especially after removing 700lbs of weight from the car) plus

Front
                Z32 4 piston aluminum 30mm calipers
                Z33 Brembo 12.8" rotors
                Stoptech Sport Pads (309 prefix)
                Stainless Lines

Rear
                ~94 Maxima calipers on ~89 brackets
                Z31 solid rotors
                Some garbage OEM replacement pads that still bite too much

B13 booster gets here thursday supposedly . Also rear stainless line, 25' of hard line - figure I'll move the rear line tee from the front to the back for weight reduction and to hopefully make bleeding easier in the future.

It's a "retired DD". 99% of my driving is on the street but I've gotten a little bit softer with age and the roads where I live have gotten far too congested with idiots to be driving a stick shift, powerless steering, no AC (in Florida), spartan interior, etc. car every day. Basically I just drive it on saturdays now, but when winter hits I might drive it a bit more. I've always had aspirations for Sebring and then maybe a few more tracks but only once I've gotten the car to a point where it could actually be competitive with something that just left the showroom floor with a 25K-40K sticker.

Drum rear brakes generally require less brake line pressure, as such some of Nissan's drum rear cars have a lower "reducing ratio" and a different (not always lower...) split point. The following information is copy and pasted from another of my posts.

Technical data regarding the 3 BMCs.
                1st BMC 15/16" bore 427psi split point w/ 0.2 reducing ratio (original to my car)
                2nd BMC 17/16" bore 498psi split point w/ 0.4 reducing ratio (Z32)
                3rd BMC 16/16" bore 356psi split point w/ 0.4 reducing ratio (Z32)

which translates to

Front brake line pressure at 500psi
                1st BMC rear line pressure: 442psi
                2nd BMC rear line pressure: 499psi
                3rd BMC rear line pressure: 413psi

Front brake line pressure at 1000psi
                1st BMC rear line pressure: 542psi
                2nd BMC rear line pressure: 699psi
                3rd BMC rear line pressure: 614psi

Front brake line pressure at 1500psi
                1st BMC rear line pressure: 642psi
                2nd BMC rear line pressure: 899psi
                3rd BMC rear line pressure: 813psi

Front brake line pressure at 2000psi
                1st BMC rear line pressure: 742psi
                2nd BMC rear line pressure: 1099psi
                3rd BMC rear line pressure: 1014psi
                Last edited by 94MaxGXE; 09-02-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Yea that sounds about right with the hat+hardware.

I haven't had them completely off since last race. Just inspection on the car. But, really looking forward to seeing your car on the ground.

Oh, and was it you (or someone you know) posting on the AER FB page how a 250 bhp, 1900lbs with driver Toyota 4age Corolla would be classed in AER? Poster's name was Troy and I think from around your area.
                  Nope not I. That sounds like an Ex midAtlantic 4AG. I wouldn't necessarily call those an endurance engine setup, so curious to see how long that thing lasts at full tilt (unless he has turned the revs down a bit). Wont be out until October in the Corolla.

I will take a look at the page. Where is he hailing from?? My brother probably knows him.

Comment

What brake setup do you run now? Elaborate on the drum master and better braking. And, definitely source a B13 booster if it's a car that is mainly a track rat. Even when I had my S13 manual trans booster, with Z32 brakes an a 17/16 BMC on Hawk DTC-60/HT-10, the braking was binary; on-off switch. So easy to lock up with that setup.

At some point in the not so distant future I will probably end up running a dual MC with a balance bar setup. How I go about that is very up in the air.

Ha! Ughghgghhhh man, I really do want that diff. I'm not in a good position [yet] to procure that from you. But, my last outing conveniently reminded me as to why it would be great to have another rear setup with a different final drive. My old final worked so much better at that particular track and there's a strong possibility that AER will be running there next year. Having another rear is definitely part of the 2019 race season though so if you still have it in a few months, it will be sold to me

Thanks for the appreciation. Enduro racing is definitely not for everyone, but it certainly is fun as all hell and I love to share the experience and what I learn along the way. I was a track day junkie and just got bored.

As far as money/work, this is where the team aspect comes into play big. Every team is different, but costs are divided and we all know our roles. Only way this works. There are teams that are solely a business for "arrive & drive" guys, but they rarely do well.

Wait, how far from Mid-Ohio are you? We're going to be there for the AER event on the weekend of 10/19. We could always use some help if you're up for it! It'll be our first time there. I actually just built a gaming PC and got VR goggles so I can start learning/practicing new tracks again with sim racing (Assetto Corsa and iRacing).
                    Dude!

Share your pc build! I got a steering setup for my Xbox. Always wanted to do a pc build.those graphics are amazing

Comment

• Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                      Mid Ohio would be quite a haul, I'm in Wisconsin. But thanks for the offer!

Ah ok. Bummer. How long is the haul for you? Looks like it's going to be an 11-12 hour pull for me.

Originally posted by 94MaxGXE
                      Current setup is 17/16" Master, 205/240mm dual diaphragm booster (stupidly soft, especially after removing 700lbs of weight from the car) plus

Front
                      Z32 4 piston aluminum 30mm calipers
                      Z33 Brembo 12.8" rotors
                      Stoptech Sport Pads (309 prefix)
                      Stainless Lines

Rear
                      ~94 Maxima calipers on ~89 brackets
                      Z31 solid rotors
                      Some garbage OEM replacement pads that still bite too much

Ok, that makes more sense. I thought you were on Z32 brakes all around. And yes, those dual diaphragm boosters are even worse. My old S13 started out with one and it was the epitome of an on-off switch. Went from that, to S13 manual, to B13.

And thank you for sharing all that solid info in here. Good reference.

Originally posted by clotuning
                      Dude!

Share your pc build! I got a steering setup for my Xbox. Always wanted to do a pc build.those graphics are amazing
                      Sure! This has slowly been built over the course of years. My end goal is to have a decent DIY motion simulator. I just built the PC and got the VR goggles. I had everything else already.

PC I built is bare bones just for gaming and video/photo editing and CAD:
                      • EVGA Z370 FTW motherboard
                      • Intel core i7 8700k processor
                      • 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM
                      • Samsung 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD (Windows 10 opens in less than 5 seconds from when I power on)
                      • Gigabyte GeForce 1080 GTX graphics card
                      • EVGA 850W power supply
                      • Cryorig H7 tower cooler
                      • Thermaltake Mid-tower case. Basic as they come.
                      • Windows 10 ($2.99 from eBay for a license and it actually worked)
                      Then an Oculus Rift for the VR goggles.
                      Pedals are Fanatec Clubsport V2 pedals with load cell brake pedal.
                      Steering wheel is basic Logitech Driving Force GT.
                      Shifter is a Thrustmaster TR500(?).
                      The rig is an Obutto Ozone.
                      Last edited by gills; 09-01-2018, 08:09 AM.
                      Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post

Nope not I. That sounds like an Ex midAtlantic 4AG. I wouldn't necessarily call those an endurance engine setup, so curious to see how long that thing lasts at full tilt (unless he has turned the revs down a bit). Wont be out until October in the Corolla.

I will take a look at the page. Where is he hailing from?? My brother probably knows him.

I'm sure the thing is high strung at that level. He did mention that he probably wouldn't run it in AER in that configuration toward the end of the convo. But, a 250bhp 1900lbs car driven well should be at the fast end of classing. Looks like he's from Virginia.
                        Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• We're officially registered for Mid-Ohio for the weekend of 10/19! We're a man down for the weekend. If anyone lives near Mid-Ohio that's reading this would be willing to help out for the weekend, or even a single day, it would be very helpful! Even better if you have race gear to assist during pit-stops.

Some of the entry list that I can capture in a screen shot (all german except us, FRS, and Miata....no surprise):

Interesting tidbit, yes, that's a Ferrari 458 Challenge car that "Racewife" team is running on the bottom right. Car is owned and driven by Ben and Christine Sloss. Ben Sloss is the Vice President of Engineering for Google, hence the ability to choose and field a Ferrari 458 Challenge meant to sprint race and race it for 18 hours in a weekend. Next year they'll be campaigning a Mustang built by Multimatic specifically to endurance race. Must be nice, eh? Hopefully it gives everyone even more insight as to why we don't want to be in the top class (5). I mean, I would, but need sponsors. Any takers????

Anywho, it'll be the teams first time racing at Mid-Ohio so we're very pumped. So, in conjunction to practicing on my new VR sim racing rig, it's good to watch some video. How about some oldish, but still good video from long time NRR member "240sxTTC" in his S13 LS swapped TT car (now sold and bought a Camaro....bah!):

https://vimeo.com/164041497

Last edited by gills; 09-14-2018, 11:39 AM.
                          Core4 Motorsports

Comment

• Eff dat Google noise. Nice way to kill a series fast for the regular folks.....

Tell him to take it to Weathertech/IMSA or PWC.

Comment

• Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
                              Eff dat Google noise. Nice way to kill a series fast for the regular folks.....

Tell him to take it to Weathertech/IMSA or PWC.

ha! I hear ya. I wouldn't be surprised if that's their ultimate goal and they're just using AER to graduate. At least they're prepping something a little more appropriate for the series for 2019.

Got any plans for the weekend of 10/19??

Finally got some green flag only video up from our Watkins Glen Sunday race. I've put some time stamps in the description to get you to some interesting parts and fast laps for each driver. The start of the race is also a good laugh. First time that driver ever did a two wide rolling race start. Nerves got the best of him, but he came around and ultimately only lost 1 position by the time he came in to pit.

https://youtu.be/j_ZzOjFbEuo
                              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                              X