Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core4 Motorsports Endurance Racing Saga...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea of making a mold is most definitely in the back of my mind, at least for making one for myself. Who wants one?!?

Instead of having to settle with, as I like to call them, "Klingon forehead" aftermarket hoods, I think it would be a nice option. The only aftermarket hood I'd consider that looks decent and has any hope of clearing a VQ is the Origin Lab Type II.

The disc is definitely nifty and relatively easy to use so I'm not sure how artistic I really am with this. It just requires a lot of patience in conjunction to H&D'ing. I'm sure if I were to use a torch I would've fudged the crap out of it.
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
      Getting ready for a 4/9 test day. I took the risk of running no tender springs with my new, stiffer rates at my last test day in November and this is the result on a rear corner:
      I recall MCA stating that they don't run tender springs on the Hammerhead S13 at WTAC & they got a lot of grief from people online about it. I was surprised that they didn't run them my self.
      First 300ZX to break 500whp on the Stock Turbo/Stock Long Block, boost only, no meth.
      Currently building sub-2800# 300zx Twin BW 6258 EFR, AMB Aero, TA-U & Road Race Car.

Comment

Originally posted by induetime View Post
        I recall MCA stating that they don't run tender springs on the Hammerhead S13 at WTAC & they got a lot of grief from people online about it. I was surprised that they didn't run them my self.
        I think it all depends on whether or not the coilover body has two modes of adjustment; spring perch and threaded on brackets that mount to upright. That way you can capture the spring and preload load it accordingly for desired droop then set ride height at the bracket. That's how my old Feal's were. The MCS's just have threaded perches.
        Core4 Motorsports

Comment

So Watkins Glen AER event is coming up fast next weekend. Of course some of the line items I wanted to complete need to be put on the back burner. One of them is NOT the hood project though I will most definitely be streaming video and car telemetry for this race so STAY TUNED...

But, I had a test day on 4/9 at NJMP with the tender springs and the alignment/setup gone through with a fine tooth comb in an effort to make the car less frantic and more planted. Oh, and the brand new CD00A installed. Transmission felt great as expected and the tenders did their job.

Crossweight: 50.2% with 200lbs driver, 1/4 tank of gas (not intentional)

Increased ride height about 10mm front and rear from previous setup.

Front
          Castor: 7.5*
          Camber -3.8*
          Toe: 1/16" out

Rear
          Camber: -1.4*
          Toe: touch less than 1/8" in

Toe Thrust/thrust angle less than 1/16" difference between front and rear axle.

So, the biggest difference from my last setup is the the fact that I dialed in the thrust angle to basically nothing, reduced rear camber from -1.8*, and lengthened the rear trac/tension rods, and shortened the toe rods to be the shortest possible. Camber gain in the rear is about 0.25-0.3*/in of travel from static ride height.

I changed the link lengths based on analysis from a CAD assembly that I put together with a s14 subframe pivot points someone had modeled and also a Z32 upright someone else scanned in an effort to minimize bump steer (see thread here).

Here's a little snippet from the spreadsheet. Setup #11 was my ultimate target to induce stability for the rear. I'm setting ride height by choosing a toe rod angle above horizontal based on my own observations/experience:

Of course once I went onto the final alignment, I had to dial in the rear camber to get it symmetric because the manufacturing world isn't perfect. What I didn't get a chance to do yet was measure this physically to see if at the very least the trends match. I will touch more on this later once I'm not in full race prep mode (2 races within 4 weeks).

Regardless, the rear of the car was notably more stable. I also pipped my personal best at this track by 0.6 seconds in low to mid 40F overcast weather. The lower rear camber works well based on my tire temp spread and I may also be able to pull some front camber out based on temps as well. 255 performance on a 10" wheel so far has been excellent.

So the HOOD....Finally test fit before moving onto final touches and paint. Clears everything and looks 10000x better even not painted.

Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Tune into the Saturday 9 hour race live in car video!

https://youtu.be/sd2RKMF7SRI
            Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Updated link

https://youtu.be/PxSAxRXqN8Q
              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Watched some of the race. Car looks super fun to drive. Looks like you had a pretty good finish. Good job!
                98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D View Post
                  Watched some of the race. Car looks super fun to drive. Looks like you had a pretty good finish. Good job!
                  Thanks, Joe!

I forgot to share the Sunday live stream, which was a better day for racing and for our result. Finished 4th overall. 1st and 2nd were only 2 seconds apart after 9 hours. Will share more later.
                  Core4 Motorsports

Comment

The hood project was completed and run in last weekend's race. The car turns a lot of heads in a field with 55% BMW's.

I'm the welder/sheet metal-er, here's the filler:

Ready for paint:

Back from paint:

Ready for action (Trackspec hood vent for BMW Z4):

And, yes, there was snow on the ground morning of practice/qualy day:
                    Core4 Motorsports

Comment

The car looks great! Glad to see you've been using the z32 upright scan.

Comment

Car looks damn good. What's with the rivets on the left front fender?
                        Originally posted by SoSideways
                        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

^^ Looks like the bumper mounts (two different sets it seems)

Comment

I was referring to the silver ones just in front of the mirror..
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Oh those. They have fender vents from the prior owner

Comment

Ahh yeah, I see the cover plate now. couldn't see it on my phone earlier. I figured that's what it was, but all I could see where the rivets and had to ask.
                                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                                X