Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core4 Motorsports Endurance Racing Saga...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been playing around with Raspberry Pi and FFmpeg just this week actually. I haven't quite got it to work on youtube live how I want. Quality is really low and has about a 30 second delay. The Raspberry Pi may not have enough power to actively transcode higher quality video off the GoPro.

I may get a Hero 5 and try to use Camera Suite and FFmpeg. I've been trying to do it according to this but I don't think it works with the Hero 3+ I have.

You'll have to look up how to install FFmpeg on a Raspberry Pi since it has to be compiled from GitHub.

I hope you're pretty computer savy haha
    98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

Thanks guys. I will definitely look into these solutions.

I can be savvy if i need to be, but the amount of time I can put into things these days is compressing.

Here's something fairly new actually:
      https://www.amazon.com/YI-Action-Spo.../dp/B01FU9ZIMU

All it will require is a mobile hotspot and is cheaper than GoPro's (and hopefully less annoying). Not having to use a separate video streaming encoder sounds too good to be true though.
      Core4 Motorsports
      CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
      S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

If that thing works like it says that is way easier than anything else.
        98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

Originally posted by Joe D View Post
          If that thing works like it says that is way easier than anything else.
          **IF**...I think I'm going to buy one (and mobile hotspot) and try it out for my next test day. Hoping it's the ticket.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to start production on the radial mount front brackets to be used with Defsports rotor hats/offset. I will likely be starting up a group buy for these (as well as the rear brake kit I made) in the next week or two.

PM me if you want more info now.

Obligatory CAD render...

Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Awesome work!!!. i love to see a good team running a s14!!!. are you running an engine oil cooler? how is the final drive gear ratio working for you????
            www.nonamemotorsports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hey DON View Post
              Awesome work!!!. i love to see a good team running a s14!!!. are you running an engine oil cooler? how is the final drive gear ratio working for you????
              Thanks man. Did you manage to shove a VQ37VHR into your S14?

Definite yes on the oil cooler. It's a large Setrab unit. Forgot the row count/dimensions. Will check tonight.

The 3.69 is much better than the 4.08 for a DE rev range/power band for track driving. Maybe the 4.08 would be better for Auto-X or really tight, technical tracks. I think a 3.9 would be perfect with a few hundred more RPM like the HR has or a cammed/built DE.

A big test will be Watkins Glen. The 5-6 shift point going up the esses with the 4.08 was basically in the center of it, coupled with lugging up the hill in 6th gear and the synchro issue, we had trouble pulling away from peppy E30's. Now with the new trans and the 3.69, we're expecting to see a definite decrease in lap time.
              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Yea, banging into 5th and 6th on track can really wear those undersized synchros, which are sized more for an easy shift into the cruising gear on the highway. Better to keep it in the lower gears if you can.

No penalty on the CD00x trans, as the gear drop is ~20% between 2-6.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Yes I got the vq37vhr in about an year ago, it wasn't too bad but the starter was more of a problem to work around than I wanted. The thing I was surprised by was the size of the transmission in the car. I want to find a way to use a different transmission down the road. Especially hearing about your problems with your transmission. What fluid are you using in it? I watched some of the on board video from your car and I agree I can see that shift is hurting the lap times a lot. Looks like so much fun!! Great work so far by the team, it's exciting to see you guys do such awesome work. In the video I noticed it seemed like the car did not have good front grip at times? You guys running 255 tires on all four corners? You gotta beat those BMW cars! ha

Comment

Cool man, share some video of that thing if you have it.

Yes, the CD00x is def huge. We were toying with the idea of putting in the 5 speed ZF from a E36/46 prior to getting the brand new CD00A. In terms of being able to handle torque/HP, it's a very good transmission, just be deliberate with the shifts. Sometimes it's hard to do that when you're wheel-to-wheeling. We use Redline MT-85. Hoping to get a solid couple of years out of the new one at the very least.

The car is actually fairly neutral to mild understeer with the setup in those vids. In the Watkins video, it could be my driving technique in corner entry that may portray that trait. I tend to throw it in more on corner entry, which is something I need to work on. My GD STi sort of trained me that way.

The New Jersey video, my co-driver is driving toward the end of the day and there was basically no grip in T9 (that long slow left hander before the WOT run onto the main straight) after the morning. Everyone was complaining of no grip there.

With that said, I've got higher spring rates (600F, 500R) with 32mm Sikky hollow front and no rear bar in the schedule for testing.
                    Core4 Motorsports

Comment

I'm building an S14 for SCCA autocross in Street Modified class with a VQ30DET. The CDxxx transmissions are strong but they're huge and weigh about 140lbs. The Z32 trans is strong and has decent ratios but it's just as heavy. I looked at the BMW ZF/Getrag transmissions but the ratios are way too wide. I looked at the TKO400/600 but hear they don't like to shift at high rpms. I can't cut the tunnel up in SM class so that limits some transmissions. Right now I'm leaning towards an aftermarket T-5 transmission. It's about 85lbs, there are several ratios available, and can be built to handle up to 600hp. It won't be cheap but it's nowhere near the cost of a jericho, richmond, quaife, etc.
                      Don Johnson (really!)
                      Just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
                        I'm building an S14 for SCCA autocross in Street Modified class with a VQ30DET. The CDxxx transmissions are strong but they're huge and weigh about 140lbs. The Z32 trans is strong and has decent ratios but it's just as heavy. I looked at the BMW ZF/Getrag transmissions but the ratios are way too wide. I looked at the TKO400/600 but hear they don't like to shift at high rpms. I can't cut the tunnel up in SM class so that limits some transmissions. Right now I'm leaning towards an aftermarket T-5 transmission. It's about 85lbs, there are several ratios available, and can be built to handle up to 600hp. It won't be cheap but it's nowhere near the cost of a jericho, richmond, quaife, etc.

For me the draw of the ZF is that they can be had for $400, can handle abuse, are incredibly compact (82lbs verified) and were sold on a zillion BMW's. On a VQ with stock fuel cut, a 3.69 would be pushing it though. A stock Z33 3.53 with a stockish powerband could work nicely I think.

With that said, what is the best bang for buck sequential out there? The draw to them is strong especially with a car that has multiple drivers with differing shifting talent/skill.
                        Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Quaife 60G

That's a pretty killer deal on a Quaife if you want to deal with setting it up for the VQ.
                          98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

i was thinking just using a a Ka24 transmission its pretty light and turns out it fits better lol. But if i had some money i think i would try a hgt box, they have a vq bell housing option also. I dont know anything about them though if they are good or not.
                            http://www.hgtprecision.com/

Comment

Quaife 60G

That's a pretty killer deal on a Quaife if you want to deal with setting it up for the VQ.
                              Damn, that is a killer deal. And very close by me to boot.

Anyone want a BNIB CD00x?? (joking....kinda...)

Originally posted by Hey DON
                              i was thinking just using a a Ka24 transmission its pretty light and turns out it fits better lol. But if i had some money i think i would try a hgt box, they have a vq bell housing option also. I dont know anything about them though if they are good or not.
                              http://www.hgtprecision.com/
                              That thought has crossed my mind as well. Dirt cheap. Not sure how long they'd last though in my application.
                              Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Quaife 60G

holy carp. wish I could run a sequential in my RX7. I'd buy that thing in a heartbeat. must stick with H-pattern (dogbox) in that car.

In a VQ application, I would be concerned about the Quaife holding up, especially in an endurance application. I have heard these guys are a bit fragile under high torque/high power applications, and the repair costs can be substantial as you're sourcing everything from UK..
                                Originally posted by SoSideways
                                I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                                '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                                X