No announcement yet.

Defsport 2017: Under new ownership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rotation feels really odd. I thought about giving it a shot but I already miss shifted once in this car so maybe it's best not to. I don't have time to work on the car next few days anyways so I ordered the GK shifter. Def I feel bad, I'm removing all your cool fab from the car... Although I want to repair the alt bracket and toss it back on once I get a TIG machine.
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Some Z33 gearbox info...codyace put this together, top speeds per gear at 8000 rpm redline with 25" tall tire.

LINK

I bolded my old and new setups:

4.6, SR 8000 39 69 100 131 172
      4.08, SR 8000 44 78 113 148 194
      3.94, SR 8000 46 80 117 153 201
      3.55 SR 8000 51 89 130 170 224

4.6 Z33 8000 35 56 81 116 131 165
      4.08 Z33 8000 39 64 91 131 148 186
      3.94 Z33 8000 40 66 94 136 153 193
      3.55 Z33 8000 45 73 104 151 170 214

Interestingly, here's top speeds per gear for my M3. Lower gears are tirespin city.

1st = 35mph
      2nd = 65mph
      3rd = 99mph
      4th = 132mph
      5th = 168mph
      6th = 199mph
      7th = 251mph
      Last edited by turtl631; 09-02-2017, 07:09 AM.
      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
        The rotation feels really odd. I thought about giving it a shot but I already miss shifted once in this car so maybe it's best not to. I don't have time to work on the car next few days anyways so I ordered the GK shifter. Def I feel bad, I'm removing all your cool fab from the car... Although I want to repair the alt bracket and toss it back on once I get a TIG machine.
        hah - no worries on removing the fab work stuff. Maybe you can sell some of it as Custom Def Modded parts!!!!

But when you say the rotation is odd, you mean side to side like going from 1-2 gate to 5-6, or say shifting from 3 to 4?

I made sure everything was well aligned in its "center position" before tacking the shortened stock frame up.

I guess I'm just struggling to see how it's different than a stock B&M type shifter. The kinematics of the shifter are the same, and while the stroke between gears like 3 to 4 might need to be slightly more to compensate for the greater angle of the selector rod, it should still follow a similar path in space (at the gear knob). Just maybe a tad further.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
          Not all are created equal. Depends on how well alignment is kept with lower shifter U-joint mount and selector rod axis relationship.

The shift lever moves through an arc when going from left to right across gates and the shifter itself rotates along its long axis.
          Yep !
          Only saw this thread now. I had fairly long writeup on NS about my Z33 install and trial of the gktech shifter. Rubbish. I ended up using the one in the mazworx kit and extended the stick by about 50mm. Much better feeling now.
          With the mazworx bell housing I found the fitment in my s15 very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
            hah - no worries on removing the fab work stuff. Maybe you can sell some of it as Custom Def Modded parts!!!!

But when you say the rotation is odd, you mean side to side like going from 1-2 gate to 5-6, or say shifting from 3 to 4?
            It's side to side movement. It moves through an arc path and the shifter rotates in your hand significantly to the point of it feeling odd.

Originally posted by The Big Fist
            Yep !
            Only saw this thread now. I had fairly long writeup on NS about my Z33 install and trial of the gktech shifter. Rubbish. I ended up using the one in the mazworx kit and extended the stick by about 50mm. Much better feeling now.
            With the mazworx bell housing I found the fitment in my s15 very good.
            NS?

GKTech shifter was rubbish for you? Besides the issues I mentioned, the GKTech shifter feels worlds better than what I had. Zero weirdness.
            Core4 Motorsports
            CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
            S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
              GKTech shifter was rubbish for you? Besides the issues I mentioned, the GKTech shifter feels worlds better than what I had. Zero weirdness.
              I had my friends shifter which we fitted (he didn't have his gbox yet) and it just felt very light and flimsy. Fitment on the car was not good and straight away I said that reverse lockout wont last. To be fair it was just a trial, no prolonged use of it fitted.

Comment

I've been swamped with work so progress has been minimal. I got the shifter installed and slave cylinder bled. The shifter required really minimal trimming of the rear part of the stock shifter opening but I was able to use the OEM rubber boot and trim ring. It feels nice with reasonable throws, but there's a little friction that keeps it from easily popping back up after being in reverse. Will have to see if things loosen up with usage. I tossed my DSG Delrin knob on there for now. Also have a tall aluminum knob that Def machined up to try.

Z gearbox aims the slave fitting down and toward the downpipe which I don't love but clearance looks okay.

In other news, I got some clear bra applied on the M3 so I don't destroy the front end driving in winter here. Different wheels with snow tires to come. And I got some snows for our CX-5 on Sparco rally style wheels which I think will look pretty cool. Downsize from stock 19" (!) wheels to 17". Test fit:

~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

It seemed like if some bolts were over torqued on the bottom of the shifter/linkage - it could bind things up when there's lots of rotation there, like going into/out of reverse. Maybe check there?

I believe there's a speed bleeder on the Z33 slave - not sure if you noticed that. Should make it easy to bleed assuming the master didn't go dry. Last time I opened up the clutch system the master went dry and I had to futz with it for a whole weekend to get it primed. Ended up figuring out that it won't prime with a speedbleeder on the end. The spring force of the bleeder is enough to overcome all the gravity load of the cylinder and then some (tried some pressurized air to prime it). Just had to remove the speed bleeder and let it gravity prime for 5 mins, then it was an easy 30 secs to bleed off the bleeder.

Learning curve of 1 so they say...

Comment

Argh. Noticed this after I torqued the head back down. I had misshifted and overrevved but car sounded the same and ran fine. Apparently not...

~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Yikes! I've heard of that happening on a VE, but I think it's really rare. I'd probably pull the head off and do the retainers that way just to double check the valves are straight. Good news is they're stock VE retainers, so should be pretty cheap to replace.

There's a Harley Vrod shim kit that's like $70 that'll work on a VE. Probably the easiest thing.

Comment

Head is back off. Sigh. Looks like just those two affected but now I feel compelled to go through everything and look for failures. Unlikely to be able to drive this thing again this year with baby due in a month and winter approaching.

I should maybe just pick up an FD if I'm going to have a perpetual jackstand queen and at least have it be the object of my JDM lust

Thinking about getting track insurance and running the M3 to get another DE in this year before the season ends.

So do we think this is just from the overrev?
                        ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Yea, had to have been from valve bounce during an overrev situation. Otherwise the shims can't pop out because the cams hold the rockers down. Valve clearances were good right before she went on the trailer, so it had to have happened during the overrev.

The Supertech duals probably saved some piston to valve contact, since it likely zinged up pretty high to toss the shim.

I don't think it'd take that much extra time to replace the retainers and reshim. I'd check other valve clearances just to be sure. I want to say 0.007-0.009" on intake, and 0.010-0.013" on exh. I'd check the bottom of the rockers with a mirror as well, but if they're just lightly marked I'd run them.

Comment

BTW - you should be able to find those shims - actually probably a good idea all things considered.

If you haven't changed the oil lately, they might both be stuck to the magnetic drain plug. Otherwise should be somewhere up in the head I'd think.

Comment

I found one on the head. Going to check the oil pan later today. Definitely don't want one missing in there :O
                              Edit: found it on the head also. Hopefully clearances look okay just replacing.

Couple questions Def. In an unrelated incident I trashed the HG. You recall what thickness Cossie it was?

Not finding an obvious source of OE retainers. I can try contacting GregV, etc, but wanted to hear your thoughts on the titanium units versus stock steel. I recall there's the issue of galling with steel springs.
                              Last edited by turtl631; 09-19-2017, 11:22 AM.
                              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

The gasket was their usual 1.1 mm thickness I want to say. It wasn't thicker than stock.

The Ti stuff is like a gram lighter, but they're softer than the hardened steel valve spring. Which means the soft Ti retainer will wear, and it doesn't really have any thickness to give on the edge. They'll work fine, but seems like an unnecessary risk to take to me since that valvetrain will easily see 9k RPM.

Comment

Working...
                                X