S14 Endurance Road Race Project.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 Endurance Road Race Project.

I thought I would do my first intro... I am Don and I'm working on my second 240sx build. I previously had an S13; now I'm working on the Zenki S14. My goal is to build a race car with the intent of endurance road racing. I lost my S13 in a fire on track. It was a KAT, so this time around I'm going for less power and a simpler build. When I bought my S14, it was a very clean SE chassis, no sunroof. The week I bought the car, I was rear ended driving to work. So I decided, why not build it into something rather than let it rust away in a field......This is my S14 "project240sxracecar"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hey DON; 03-23-2016, 10:57 PM.
    www.nonamemotorsports.com

Another endurance racing 240, welcome!

Which series' do you plan on racing in? Hopefully you have a good team already established because without a decent team you can't get anything done in endurance racing.

I'm a grassroots endurance racing guy. Nothing holds a candle to the $/lap you get from grassroots level endurance racing at the moment (if nothing breaks). I have an S13 that I race/raced in Lemons, ChumpCar and now we're racing with American Endurance Racing (AER) at Watkins Glen next month which is another spin-off that is similar to WRL and LuckyDog that is gaining popularity on the East Coast (we all should thank 24 Hours of Lemons creators for this current craze!).

Anyway, welcome and good luck.
    Core4 Motorsports
    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Thanks gills! I am glad to know someone else is out running endurance racing! I plan on World racing league and NASA also if a goal of running pikes peak international hill climb also if i can get accepted to run. I totally agree on bang for the buck in endurance racing, i love that getting people to come together and doing pit stops during a race is a blast. Yes i have a good group of people i have been working with. We have won the NASA 25 hour a couple of times in E2 and E3. We have won five or six WRl races with the last one this Feb. at COTA. we have been using miatas and some guys want to go alittle faster so that leads to me building a 240sx that is faster than a miata lap times. I hope i can do it without having increasing cost alot. I have not raced with AER i would like to be able to do a race at The Glen with them, that would be awesome. i was able to take my old s13 back there once a few years ago. I grew up two hours away from The Glen so i have family near. How long have you been racing? Have you been trying different tires for this endurance racing? So the car you have was build for lemons first then?
      Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! You're all set then. Won 5 or 6 WRL races? Nice! Overall winner on laps wins or class?

Yes, The Glen is a special place. Great picture of your S13 there. What's the wheel and tire setup and front lip in that picture? It's a track that favors higher HP cars, but the 240 should be able to hold it's own no problem with all the BMW E30's on the grid. AER is mainly an East coast thing at the moment since they are based out of the Philadelphia area. Basically BMW guys that got fed up with the ChumpCar rules and LeMons subjectivity and created their own thing that classes cars based on lap times on qualifying/practice day. Looking forward to seeing how that works out. There's 81 cars registered already with a cap of 85.

I started doing HPDE's in 2004, but started W2W racing in 2011 with my company's/boss's Alfa Romeo Milano in the 24 Hours of LeMons. Liked it so much that I convinced 2 close friends and my brother to build and campaign our own car starting in 2013. We initially built it for Lemons because that was the only series that represented the Northeast the best at the time.

That car was wrecked (oil slick from E30 engine failure) in only its third race in May 2014, but we were all so fired up that we purchased another chassis less than a week later to rebuild lol. We took the overall win in Lemons (first for a 240, surprisingly!) in October last year in only this chassis's 2nd race at New Hampshire. Talk about vindication. So, now everyone is dying to race at the Glen and try AER with some fancier bits on the car. We'll see how it goes...

I don't want to litter your thread with pics of my car, but if you search my name on here you can see crashed/rebuild/random pics of my car. There's a great pic of the new chassis build with the roof chopped off for a cage swap with only 5 weeks until it's first race. I lost a few years of my life from that lol.
        Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Yes places like Watkins Glen are special. The rims were varrstoen es2 18x10.5 0 offset rims that had 315/35 tires on all four corners. The front lip/air dam is one I made with brake ducts. I wish we had fewer racing organizations because it seems everything is so diluted. There are so many organizations to race with that I feel the events have lost importance due to the ease to be allowed the w2w race. I feel there isn't really a ladder system in motorsports. I do think it's awesome that the average person is able to try racing without spending a lot of money or putting in a lot of effort(still takes both of those). I love hearing stories like yours; you were able to get some good friends & family to work together on one goal of building a car and take it racing and compete amongst other teams. It's great when team work towards a goal builds pride & camaraderie. I was given a seat in a VW golf for one lemons race this past summer, it was a different experience then I have been accustomed to. That is great you were able win overall with a 240sx!!! It's outstanding you didn't give up when you lost a car and that you are still going at it. Building a car in a short period of time is not easy. What are some of the go fast parts you are using? It sems AEL is similar to WRL, is it?
          Last edited by Hey DON; 03-31-2016, 11:06 PM.

Comment

more up to date

few more random photos have the vq in and being running it some!
            Attached Files

Comment

Randon question. When you threw the VQ in, did you have to shim the gearbox up to align with the read diff??

Comment

Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
                Randon question. When you threw the VQ in, did you have to shim the gearbox up to align with the read diff??
                No i did not shim anything. I put the transmission up highest i could up against the tunnel to get ground clearance.

Comment

Don, if you want to share pictures on forums the best thing to use is an image hosting site (like imgur.com) and link the pictures directly in the post. Much better to do it this way.
                  Core4 Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                  X