240sxTTC 2014 Build - Teaser Photos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240sxTTC 2014 Build - Teaser Photos

Some teaser photos of the winter build! Will start an official build thread once I get a little further along.

NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Are the fronts going to be that wide too?

Thanks for the other info Rob. Might save me some money.
    Last edited by logr; 11-23-2013, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Those are 3.5" flares?
      1990 240sx - Aristo 2JZGTE, R154, GT37, Defsport Wilwood kit, KTS coilovers - daily driver
      1991 civic si - B18C5 / toda / ATS / hytech - autox
      2001 integra type R - Greddy td05-18g - garage queen

Comment

Lately, I've been thinking about what is the best way to get some "slider axis" angle up front. Extending the lower controls arms 1-2" and pushing the strut tops all the way inward should net you a decent moment arm length and decent camber gain.

Since you have to fill up those massive fender flares, running a longer FLCA should not be a problem for you. High SAI does make adjusting bumpsteer an issue, but other then that, with the low steering angles that road racers and autocrossers use, I don't think it effects camber all that much.

High slider axis with a custom +1-2" FLCA, should give you lots of room for a big tire, great scrub, decent camber recovery, above ground roll center... Seems like the benefits of high SAI, out weigh the negatives.

Still have some testing left to do on my setup, and validation of camber loss/gain curves during suspension travel and steering. I'm sure there is still much more to learn!

Comment

Also what's the game plan for wheel size? My 18x12 +20 wheels look like they will rub the inside wheel well, and I'm having a hard time making them clear my RLCA's. I may have to run a +5-+10 spacer.

Comment

Originally posted by logr View Post
            Are the fronts going to be that wide too?

Thanks for the other info Rob. Might save me some money.
            Not quite. Both front and rear have a 1/2" lip. Not including the lip the rear is +70mm and the front is +40.

Not prob Mike. Glad to help. Let me know how it turns out.
            NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by Black R View Post
              Those are 3.5" flares?
              They are listed as +70mm but have a 1/2" lip.
              NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by Jason M View Post
                Since you have to fill up those massive fender flares, running a longer FLCA should not be a problem for you. High SAI does make adjusting bumpsteer an issue, but other then that, with the low steering angles that road racers and autocrossers use, I don't think it effects camber all that much.
                Totally agree about me now needing longer lower control arms, which is another reason can't wait till you make a batch of your RLCA's! For the front was thinking about running stock S14 FLCA until SPL releases theirs next yr. Do you know how much longer the S14 FLCA is than the S13? I have a set of SPL outer tie rods ends to adjust bump steer. Need to get the control arms sorted before I mess with bump steer.
                NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by Jason M View Post
                  Also what's the game plan for wheel size? My 18x12 +20 wheels look like they will rub the inside wheel well, and I'm having a hard time making them clear my RLCA's. I may have to run a +5-+10 spacer.
                  I'll be running 275mm tires square. The car will weigh ~2650-2700lbs with the new engine/trans combo. Because of the light weight any wider tires in the front and it will be difficult to get enough heat in the tires to get my quick lap in the first two laps. It's critical to get your fast lap in the first couple laps when competing in the faster classes because after 2-3 laps you start catching slower traffic.

The wheels I got are Forgestar F14 18x10 +16. I'll be running 255/35R18 Hoosiers, which are as wide as the 275 Hoosiers. So much so NASA treats this specific tire as a 275. In the photo above there is a 16mm spacer so eff offset is 0. Once I get the fender flares installed and a tire for a fit try, I'll determine the proper spacer width to fill the flares. In order to have full compression w/o hitting the flare I'm thinking I'll need ~20mm spacer. At -4mm eff offset and a 275 wide tire, there is plenty of room on wheel well side. In the front I need min 16mm spacer so the tire doesn't contact the spring.

At some pt, I do need to ask you a few questions about how you cut and prepared the rear sheet metal for the flares.
                  Last edited by 240sxTTC; 11-23-2013, 03:43 PM.
                  NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by 240sxTTC View Post
                    Do you know how much longer the S14 FLCA is than the S13?
                    A friend of mine bought some parts-store S14 FLCAs thinking they've be longer on his S13, and they turned out to be the same length. It could have been a mistake on the part of the supplier I guess.

We're also extending the FLCAs on our ChumpCar build, in order to get more camber gain and raise the instant centers a bit. We have more fender-room to work with as we're only running 15x8s though.
                    Flatout Racing
                    #23 Z32 Chumpcar

Comment

Awesome, looking forward to this.

how come you're not running wider wheels? I know the recommended wheel widths only go to 10... but the smaller 275 goes to 11" :
                      '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
                      '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
                      '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
                      '81 BMW R65

Comment

that flare is so subtle.

Comment

Originally posted by eage8 View Post
                          Awesome, looking forward to this.

how come you're not running wider wheels? I know the recommended wheel widths only go to 10... but the smaller 275 goes to 11" :
                          The 11" wheel doesn't increase the contact patch enough with a 275mm tire to offset the additional weight. Plus with the 11" wheel, I'd need to run 7mm more spacer. I'm already needing ~20-25mm spacer for the 10" wheels.
                          NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

I'm looking forward to what engine you are going to run to require this wide a tire.
                            Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                            TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

Originally posted by gbeaty View Post
                              A friend of mine bought some parts-store S14 FLCAs thinking they've be longer on his S13, and they turned out to be the same length. It could have been a mistake on the part of the supplier I guess.

We're also extending the FLCAs on our ChumpCar build, in order to get more camber gain and raise the instant centers a bit. We have more fender-room to work with as we're only running 15x8s though.

I never seen a true aftermarket/oe replacement S14 FLCA.
                              They all think S13 & S14 share the same FLCA.
                              Last time I check they were between 7-10mm Longer than S14's.
                              Easiest way to tell a S13 & S14 arm apart is the Knuckle/Tie-Rod Stop.

S13:

S14:

Comment

Working...
                              X