X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    started a topic 2_Liter_Turbo's New Project - 1996 240SX SE

2_Liter_Turbo's New Project - 1996 240SX SE

Well, I've decided to make the jump from an S13 to an S14. While I'm still working out motor issues in the S13, I will be just cleaning this S14 up a bit. Once the motor is completely broken in and tuned (and running great), I will be making the swap between chassis. Until then, I will be just adding miles to this car commuting to work, keeping the mileage off of my 2007 G35 Coupe . Picked this up a couple weeks ago for a reasonable price. It's a 96 240SX SE, but with no sunroof! I'm just shy of 6'4", so the extra headroom is nice! Everything works, including the AC. Paint is not the greatest, but the body is fairly straight (small dings).

I hadn't touched the car yet as of these pictures, so the exterior is pretty gross. Interior is pretty clean overall. Gotta love the 90's pattern... Ha ha.

The following pictures are after I had the chance to clean the car up a bit. Painted the lip because it was gross before, sanded down the headlights to make them clear again, and did what I could to the interior and exterior to make it look decent. The car definitely needs a paint job, but for now, this will do. Here are a couple pics of the exterior and one of the interior.

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by candamo View Post
    Hey 2_Liter_Turbo, very nice build sir. We seem to be building similar engines. SR20VET/N1 cams/ efr 7163. Hopefully will be running by the end of this year LOL.

According to the Borgwarner Matchbot calculations I did. Turbine wheel speed is sort of dangerous above 25 psi and 7500 rpm approximately. So If you want to run the turbo safely in full swing I recommend you run a turbo speed sensor.

I actually got the speed sensor already, so that was the plan!

Leave a comment:

• candamo
    replied
    Here's the matchbot link I did. Kinda interpolated to 9000rpms and 25psi of boost.
    http://www.turbos.borgwarner.com/go/NQA4NB

Leave a comment:

• RalliartRsX
    replied
    Originally posted by candamo View Post
    Hey 2_Liter_Turbo, very nice build sir. We seem to be building similar engines. SR20VET/N1 cams/ efr 7163. Hopefully will be running by the end of this year LOL.

According to the Borgwarner Matchbot calculations I did. Turbine wheel speed is sort of dangerous above 25 psi and 7500 rpm approximately. So If you want to run the turbo safely in full swing I recommend you run a turbo speed sensor.

More info on this?? Just got my VET/standard P11 cam/7163 running. Need to break in engine. N1 cams will go in after the oil change to make sure I keep metal shavings to a minimum from the newly built bottom end

Leave a comment:

• candamo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    I was hoping to get around 650-700 for GTA, but have a 500max tune for NASA. I could always try it and if I don't like it, throw it on the GTR, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Def
    replied
    WOT boost response is entirely different than partial throttle boost response. You can see the effect at like 2k RPM on big turbo dynos with a 4 banger - there's basically no boost, then it starts building quickly at some point farther up the rev range. The smaller turbos will give much better response below that critical boost threshold level.

Another illustration is how steep the torque ramp is as you come into boost.

Just saying, unless you really need or will use 800 rwhp, I'd stick with a smaller turbo.

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    My buddy Eric (who has this turbo on an evo) said that it spools pretty well, giving you full tq around 4k rpm. Unfortunately, no one has put it on an SR to my knowledge, so it's a bit uncharted territory. I'll be using the 7163 for awhile, due to funds (or lack thereof), so hopefully someone else tests it before I do, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Def
    replied
    An 8474 is going to drive like poo at partial throttle on a 4 banger though. It's entirely too big of a turbo on a 4 banger unless you're trying to drag race and really need all that upper end push.

A 7670 is going to feel far better and still put up pretty crazy numbers, and honestly a 7163 is absolutely superb on response and will still belt out over 500 rwhp.

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    I'll be running a 2.2L, but yeah, basically the same difference. I also overbuild everything, it's how I approach my projects. I like a high factor of safety if I can get away with it, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• RalliartRsX
    replied
    8474 will make close to 800 WHP full tilt to the moon boost. However, On a 2 liter, you are looking probably arounf 4-500 ft lb @ the wheels.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11715425

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Well, I'm more interested in the gear ratio selection, and I wouldn't do the build on the new transmission, I'd buy a used gearbox for that. As for power, who knows. What will an EFR8474 make on a VET w/ E85? LOL. I don't think I'd ever go more than that scenario. I'm still debating on that in my head too.

Leave a comment:

• RalliartRsX
    replied
    ........so how much torque are you trying to make?? Unless you are going for all of it, I do not think the VE will make enough torque to break it lol

Typically 3rd gear strips on the VG/RB gearboxes at over 600 ft lbs at the wheels and drag launches. If brand new, I feel like billet anything in one is just a waste lol

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Ha ha ha, yeah, I noticed that too. There's a few other design tweaks I'd make myself, but I didn't want to put them on blast or anything. I appreciate they make the stuff in the first place. It's not exactly a large market.

Leave a comment:

• Def
    replied
    Ugh - I hate how people that just learn Solidworks put sharp rads on every internal feature. Makes my inner stress analyst twitch in annoyance.

Parts look nice in presentation tho'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X