No announcement yet.

2_Liter_Turbo's New Project - 1996 240SX SE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure why you'd want a 250+ duration low lobe cam. That would hit torque down in the 2-3k RPM range for probably zero practical benefit at WOT. I usually triggered my N1 cams at ~3500 RPM, and there was a pronounced torque bump even down that low at WOT, and boost immediately shot up if I wasn't already at full boost. I could actually trigger them down around 3100-3200 RPM and get full boost a little faster, but it made cruising annoying on the big cams and fuel economy suffered in vac (putting the trigger on a TPS value would make VVL disengage during shifts, which is bad for the valvetrain).

I guess if the high lobes are more mild and the low lobes more aggressive, the optimal switching point might be higher... but why? Seems like you'd give up high end power and low end power... and probably midrange power in boost as well.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Well, I think of it this way. I had 260 duration 12mm lift cams on my DET head, and I had an excellent TQ curve. If I could have had an additional high lobe duration of say 280 on top of that, then it would have been awesome (assuming the ****ty DET head could flow well enough, lol).

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
      96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

• Got a few more parts in yesterday. More stuff from Australia.

I decided to go to an RB25DET transmission, so I ordered the conversion kit from Alpha-Omega. Really nice parts. Also have a brand new RB25 trans and accessories on the way. Going to run a new factory trans for now, but going to pick up a second used transmission and eventually build it with a billet center plate and gears after I figure out what I want in it. This is one of the main reasons why I am going with this transmission over the CD009 swap. Substantial aftermarket support for this transmission, where-as the CD009 limits you to few upgrades and stock gear ratios.

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

• Ugh - I hate how people that just learn Solidworks put sharp rads on every internal feature. Makes my inner stress analyst twitch in annoyance.

Parts look nice in presentation tho'.

Comment

• Ha ha ha, yeah, I noticed that too. There's a few other design tweaks I'd make myself, but I didn't want to put them on blast or anything. I appreciate they make the stuff in the first place. It's not exactly a large market.

Comment

• ........so how much torque are you trying to make?? Unless you are going for all of it, I do not think the VE will make enough torque to break it lol

Typically 3rd gear strips on the VG/RB gearboxes at over 600 ft lbs at the wheels and drag launches. If brand new, I feel like billet anything in one is just a waste lol

Comment

• Well, I'm more interested in the gear ratio selection, and I wouldn't do the build on the new transmission, I'd buy a used gearbox for that. As for power, who knows. What will an EFR8474 make on a VET w/ E85? LOL. I don't think I'd ever go more than that scenario. I'm still debating on that in my head too.

Comment

• 8474 will make close to 800 WHP full tilt to the moon boost. However, On a 2 liter, you are looking probably arounf 4-500 ft lb @ the wheels.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11715425

Comment

• I'll be running a 2.2L, but yeah, basically the same difference. I also overbuild everything, it's how I approach my projects. I like a high factor of safety if I can get away with it, LOL.

Comment

• An 8474 is going to drive like poo at partial throttle on a 4 banger though. It's entirely too big of a turbo on a 4 banger unless you're trying to drag race and really need all that upper end push.

A 7670 is going to feel far better and still put up pretty crazy numbers, and honestly a 7163 is absolutely superb on response and will still belt out over 500 rwhp.

Comment

• My buddy Eric (who has this turbo on an evo) said that it spools pretty well, giving you full tq around 4k rpm. Unfortunately, no one has put it on an SR to my knowledge, so it's a bit uncharted territory. I'll be using the 7163 for awhile, due to funds (or lack thereof), so hopefully someone else tests it before I do, LOL.

Comment

• WOT boost response is entirely different than partial throttle boost response. You can see the effect at like 2k RPM on big turbo dynos with a 4 banger - there's basically no boost, then it starts building quickly at some point farther up the rev range. The smaller turbos will give much better response below that critical boost threshold level.

Another illustration is how steep the torque ramp is as you come into boost.

Just saying, unless you really need or will use 800 rwhp, I'd stick with a smaller turbo.

Comment

• I was hoping to get around 650-700 for GTA, but have a 500max tune for NASA. I could always try it and if I don't like it, throw it on the GTR, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                            X