2_Liter_Turbo's New Project - 1996 240SX SE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
    That's a lot of projects! No wonder the GT-R is all dusty I'd probably just use the stuff you've got in the head and the turbo you have on hand. I'd guess around 500whp with a turned up VE/EFR7163 setup...that's a lot with a broad powerband in a S chassis. This is for time attack?
    LOL, yeah, the GTR definitely needs a little attention. I want to drive it so bad! It's such a fun car! I'm leaning toward running the Kelford cams I have on the shelf, since everywhere I look, the powerband is more usable. Not sure if I really want to go through all the trouble of dialing in the N1s just out of curiosity then swapping them and the springs out and doing it all over again with the engine in the car, lol. As for the EFR 7163, that's still TBD. It really comes down to finances I think. I'd love to throw the 7163 on the S13 and have 2 EFR SR cars, LOL.

And yeah, the S14 is being built for Nasa TT1 and Global Time Attack "Limited RWD". I'm interested in trying out the Nissan Challenge series in SoCal as well, but not building the car for that specifically. Same goes with the Gridlife stuff. Eventually, I may do Nasa with the S13 and keep the S14 for time attack only, that way I can maximize rule limitations for each series, but that sounds expensive, so we'll see, LOL.

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

• Lol, I can agree on having projects for multiple purposes. I have my s13 couple that's dedicated autocross and then I have an E46 M3 I wanna build for track days. I'd love to get a s14 some day and make it a extremely nice street car or replace the s13 as autocross car.

How do we make more money with little effort aside from a regular day job?! Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Scores240; 03-13-2019, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• IMO, the Kelfords don't make sense over a set of N1s for a 7163 or smaller sized turbo. Mazworx made 1500 HP on a set of N1s, so it's not like they're really leaving much on the table IMO.

Put the money towards an EFR - which will be a huge difference over a 10-20 yr old Garrett that most people run, rather than more expensive cams that might made a few HP difference here and there (or start simply getting too big, which is a thing on moderate sized turbos, but that duration is much larger than most people think it is).
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Originally posted by Scores240 View Post
          Lol, I can agree on having projects for multiple purposes. I have my s13 couple that's dedicated autocross and then I have an E46 M3 I wanna build for track days. I'd love to get a s14 some day and make it a extremely nice street car or replace the s13 as autocross car.

How do we make more money with little effort aside from a regular day job?! Lol
          I've learned over the years that while more expensive, having dedicated cars for different uses is soo much better, LOL.

Originally posted by Def View Post
          IMO, the Kelfords don't make sense over a set of N1s for a 7163 or smaller sized turbo. Mazworx made 1500 HP on a set of N1s, so it's not like they're really leaving much on the table IMO.

Put the money towards an EFR - which will be a huge difference over a 10-20 yr old Garrett that most people run, rather than more expensive cams that might made a few HP difference here and there (or start simply getting too big, which is a thing on moderate sized turbos, but that duration is much larger than most people think it is).
          I already have the EFR7163 (I bought from you, LOL). And I already have the Kelfords sitting on the shelf. I've read that if you run the N1's, you need to use a larger A/R turbine housing than you'd normally spec? I haven't researched in detail as to why yet, but I thought that was interesting. Also that N1's make good power on turbo, but the TQ curve is less than ideal compared to the 184ST Kelfords. The 184T's are only useful for 800+whp VETs. I think the Kelfords make sense more if I go to the EFR 8474 over the 7163.

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

• I echo Def's statement and only just realized my blind following of the old cam comparison

As I mentioned online Steve, unless the Kelfords are adding some 30-50WHP at the same boost, it's almost not necessary to go through all the trouble of swapping springs and reshimming the head unless you are going full send. Hold on to the Kelfords, run the 7163/N1 and see how it goes. The N1s have such a shallow ramp angle, you can almost get away with stock spring and 8-8200 rpm limit.

I kept reading through the Zombie works SR15VET, and realize they actually opened up the duration on the N1s on the SR15VET......completely opposed to what internet hype says.

This is a quote directly from the article. Also even more keen, this is on a 1.5 liter vs a 2 liter.

"Nick Hunter installed a pair of Jim Wolf Technology adjustable cam gears onto the end of each of the N1 camshafts. The cam timing was set for 10 degrees advanced and 10 degrees retarded on the intake and exhaust respectively. Although the popular line of thought is to spread the lobe centers on turbo engines, we tightened the lobe centers to increase overlap and reduce back pressure. The idea here was to decrease back pressure and promote “blow down,” which expedites turbo response."

Also, Coheed's cam comparison (which everyone swears by) was on a log manifold with an outdated turbo (especially compared to the EFR offerings)......

Comment

• HAs anyone done a cam comparison with a proper flowing exhaust manifold and head with the Kelfords ve N1s?? Atleast the Kelford STs??

Comment

• Very interesting. It's a lot of trouble, but I wonder if it would be worth doing a comparison on my engine then... it's a lot of work and extra tuning though, LOL.

Comment

• I think it would be cool, however that's up to you if you want to dedicate the time and the money. If I stumble onto a set of STs, I could do the test as my springs have been updgraded to the Kelford behives. I also have the shimming process down to a little over 2 hours lol

Comment

• Apparently they are hard to get atm. Crazy. I just e-mailed Kelford last year, and within a couple weeks the springs and cams showed up in the mail. I also got a deal on them from buying direct, way cheaper than any US shop selling them. I definitely won't get rid of them unless they turn out to be trash, LOL (doubtful).

Comment

• Mazworx is taking orders for a June delivery, but @ $1000 for the set, not sure if the $/HP ratio is worth it (in my case anyways) since I am not going full send.

Picked up my set of N1s for a song and they are pretty much bnib lol. Tough to compete with that.

Comment

• Yeah, I wasn't too worried about the extra cost, since I'm doing everything I can to be as competitive as possible, lol. Also why things take FOREVER for me to build, LOL. Money takes time to earn!

Comment

• Build in stages?? That's where I am at instead of changing the setup and waiting ages to get things done. Our son is 1.5 months old, and the min he starts crawling, car work will dwindle from the paltry level it is now. So I am all for building in stages to atleast drive the car at some point hahaha!

Comment

• Yeah, I approach it a bit differently. Race car goes down for major overhaul, I race something else in the meantime! LOL. Took 3rd in my class doing the local time attack series in my daily driver, LOL. Slowest class of about 12 or so regular drivers in that class. Not too shabby for a heavy family sedan (07 Subaru Legacy SpecB)! Starting in May, I'll be racing my brothers S13 (I'm buying it), so it should be a bit more fun.

Comment

• I bet the N1s outpower the 184ST's just due to the huge lift difference (in the N1's favor).

Aftermarket isn't always better, and the N1s have proven to be a good profile for a moderate NA engine, which translates to a good profile for a moderate to aggressive turbo application (within reason).

I'm sure they'll still make quite a bit of power due to the VE head flow, but I don't see how a 10.x mm lift cam at roughly the same total duration of the N1s is going to make way more power than a ~11.8-12.0 mm lift cam at about the same durations. The Kelfords maybe have a much more aggressive ramp rate on the cam, but I'd still guess they're likely going to yield less total flow than the N1s.
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• The big advantage the Kelfords have on both the N1 and 20V cams is the low lobe specs. Exhaust side is basically the same as a 20V, so slightly better than the N1, but the intake side has almost 2mm more lift than the N1s (just barely more than the 20V in lift) but the duration is 252° vs the 228° for 20V and 220° for the N1. I am curious why the high profile lift is pretty weak on the STs though. I realize that the valve is open longer (not by much), and that the ramp angle is more aggressive, so the percentage of open under the curve is better, but it is a crazy delta in lift. Even the 20V cams have decent lift on the high lobe (same as N1 on the intake side). Wonder why they didn't just make what they did on the low lobe and copy the N1 or 20V on the high lobe.

Comment

Working...
                                X