No announcement yet.

2_Liter_Turbo's New Project - 1996 240SX SE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWS has some pretty "aggressive" treatment of aluminum that's probably an "average" value. Design values for aerospace are much more conservative (95% confidence for 99% of population), so the knockdowns are much much higher for higher temperature exposure.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Interesting. Can you give an equivalent example from an aerospace standard?
      Core4 Motorsports
      CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
      S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

• Of strength lost versus temperature? At 200 deg F, there starts to be a transition to losing permanent properties with elevated exposure time. Intermittent exposure is ~20% lower yield strength from memory. Go up to 250 F and it's in the ~30% range for intermittent exposure. Hold that for ~10,000 hours and I want to say it's about 60-70% down below room temperature yield strength. They don't cite what it recovers to, but I assume the long exposure times are near permanent values.

This is from MMPDS, which is Metallic Materials Properties Development and Standardization. Formerly Mil-Handbook 5.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

• Lol, dang, talk about a "squirrel" moment! I've decided to keep the raw look, but not sure if I should do a clear powder-coat or not. And yes, it came with a clamp for the throttle body.

Has anyone done a drive by wire setup here btw? Looking into accelerator pedals to use (I've seen GM and Z pedals so far). The pedal in my Spec B Legacy looks like it may be a good fit, so I may toy with that, but curious what other people use.

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
          96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

• checking in after multi-year hiatus just to throw in my $0.02 about the powdercoating thing.
            If you want to coat the aluminum, simply talk to the shop that does the coating and find out what powder and temp cycles they use. there are multiple types of powder, and some are designed to cure in the ~200F range. however, they usually require a slightly longer curing time to get the metal substrate up to curing temps.

the shop I used in houston was primarily processed steel furniture, signpoles, etc where this stuff wasn't much concern. but they would take lawn furniture and literally hit it with a flamethrower to burn off the old coatings and oils. OMG DON'T TOUCH MY ALUMINUM!!! I had a nice chat about it with one of their sales guys, and they went through their normal processes and said their ovens were designed around a 350F curing temp BUT due to the large doors and whatnot of their oven (they can literally drive a truck through their oven!), they often had hot and cold spots and the hot spots could easily exceed 500F. not a problem for steel, but definitly an issue for structural aluminum.

SO for those cases, they have smaller curing ovens and do smaller batches, and would put the materials in a cold oven. Their prices were slightly higher due to the additional labor time, but they would do individual runs at whatever temp I asked. their standard powder needed 300F for 20 minutes to cure properly, so I asked them to start there on a couple pieces and the finish turned out acceptable. we stuck with it for the parts I had them do for me.

so just something to consider.... call your shop and work with 'em.
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

• Yeah, I'll have to talk to my powder guy to see what he does.

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

• Well, no major updates recently (still). New baby and new house have been taking all of my time! I did move the cars into their new home though, nice new 1080 sq ft garage! Can't wait to get it all setup so I can start wrenching again... probably not until April.

Comment

• That's some beautiful lighting in that garage there. Very nice and congrats on the life stuff.
                  Core4 Motorsports
                  CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                  S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

• Thanks man! I plan to get pretty crazy in the lighting department. I want to be able to see everything clearly, LOL. Hoping to make the garage a well sorted "hobby shop garage". I'll be getting a lift, but it'll have to wait a bit, need to get the side yard paved first (12ft RV gate and room for my truck, trailer, and about 3 or 4 cars).

Comment

• Well, I ended up grabbing ANOTHER P11 VE head.... This time instead of a well used stock one, it was one that has already been prepped. Has oversized supertech valves, full port and chamber work by 5523 Motorsports, WPC treated everything, and new N1 cams with some JWT valve springs. Also has Inconel R35 studs on the exhaust side. Lash is all done, so it's basically ready to be bolted on. Picked this up from Juan at Bardabe Performance. It was going on his personal Z32/VET build, but he is consolidating projects, so I swooped in to save the head, LOL.

Now the question is: Do I rock the N1 cams to see how they do, or do I pull them (and the springs that are meant for N1 cams) and swap in the Kelford 184-ST cams and Kelford beehive springs that I have sitting on the shelf? Bad thing is that I'd have to reshim the head (not the end of the world), but I'm curious how the N1 cams would fare with my setup. At the moment, I still have an EFR7163, buuuuut, I've been considering swapping that out for the new EFR8474. An industry friend of mine who was on the pilot program for tuning the new black series EFRs was raving about that turbo and it's capabilities.

Comment

• Juan told me you bought his head . Secret sawwwuceee valve work . He is off to focus on GTR land.

Meh. Rock the N1s for now and see how it goes. N1s have a very shallow ramp angle, so you do not need aggressive springs on them. Actually, you can even get away with stock springs if need be.

Shimming isn't terrible. People are just lazy. Took me a little over 2 hours to do. You can shim 2 or 4 valves at a time so yeah. Just remember to follow the FSM and be done.

Also, 8474 didn't give up much on a 8374 and just extended the efficiency islands wayyy to the right. Saw an evo dyno. Impressive.

If I can decide on manifold, I will post results on N1 cams, 7163 and stock sized valves with all valve seat work. Still on a 2 liter.

Comment

• Yeah, ha ha. He stopped by late last night on his way to TX to drop it off, and we BS'd for a few hours. And that EVO dyno video was most likely my friend's, because that's what he was tuning it on. I'll be on a 2.2L, so spool shouldn't be too bad. I agree, shimming isn't that bad, it's mainly a lazy thing, LOL. I became quite good at it with my solid lifter DET head.

Comment

• A nice VE build is something i would love to do if I could ever give up on my KA build. Building a SM car also doesn't allow much free $ for new side projects lol.

I might be interested in that 7163 if you really wanna unload it.

Comment

• I'll probably throw it on my upcoming S13 project if I decide to make the change, ha ha. I can't let it go to waste!

Comment

• That's a lot of projects! No wonder the GT-R is all dusty I'd probably just use the stuff you've got in the head and the turbo you have on hand. I'd guess around 500whp with a turned up VE/EFR7163 setup...that's a lot with a broad powerband in a S chassis. This is for time attack?
                                ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                                ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                                X