No announcement yet.

Diseaze: 300zxTT dedicated track car build blog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No limit on Photo bull****. Alot of sites are not allowing thier images to be used on 3rd party websites, forums, etc unless the user pays out the ass for it........which still does not entirely remove the ads from that ****ty site.

I stand behind your Imgur move. PITA however

There are no OTS solutions for the Indy V bands as it is strictly proprietary to Indy Car

Comment

It sucks. I'm not paying $400 to use my pictures. For that I will create a server at home & host them there. I read yesterday that there is a work around for Google if you manually copy instead of its auto copied links it works on 3rd party sites. But I have not tried it yet. Unfortunately I don't have all of the pictures organized very well & I'm sure I will miss some things when I re-host them.

I keep meaning to bring the turbine housing into work so I can measure it to draft it in Vectorworks 3D & get quotes on having 10+ flanges made. I need at least 8 my self. I may make a hand full more to put up for sale.

Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
      No limit on Photo bull****. Alot of sites are not allowing thier images to be used on 3rd party websites, forums, etc unless the user pays out the ass for it........which still does not entirely remove the ads from that ****ty site.

I stand behind your Imgur move. PITA however

There are no OTS solutions for the Indy V bands as it is strictly proprietary to Indy Car
      First 300ZX to break 500whp on the Stock Turbo/Stock Long Block, boost only, no meth.
      Currently building sub-2800# 300zx Twin BW 6258 EFR, AMB Aero, TA-U & Road Race Car.

Comment

I haven't made any progress over the last couple months. My mother is a twice over cancer survivor who recently had 3 strokes. Her surgery for the blockage causing the strokes had complications & took 3x the expected time. Just no time for cars right now.
        First 300ZX to break 500whp on the Stock Turbo/Stock Long Block, boost only, no meth.
        Currently building sub-2800# 300zx Twin BW 6258 EFR, AMB Aero, TA-U & Road Race Car.

Comment

sorry dude. That sucks balls.
          Originally posted by SoSideways
          I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
          '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by induetime View Post
            I haven't made any progress over the last couple months. My mother is a twice over cancer survivor who recently had 3 strokes. Her surgery for the blockage causing the strokes had complications & took 3x the expected time. Just no time for cars right now.
            Damn Sorry to hear man, totally understandable too!

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
            96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

Updates & more parts shipping out to me.

Hi everyone in the Nissan world. I haven't updated in a long time. Life has been extremely complicated in the last year. Progress has been made, just not much in the way of the the actually chassis its self. My daughter, girlfriend, family & the dream of building this car help me wake up every morning.

The bad news: My mother passed away mid December. She is in a better place now & her pain is no more. It was an incredibly difficult experience & no matter how much I was prepared or knew what was coming, I was not ready. We never really are though I guess. That same day I had court scheduled for a custody hearing & to wrangle in the final details of my daughter with her Mother. My lawyer sucks & did not submit any of the "evidence" I had organized VERY well in multiple folders, including recordings that painted a clear picture of the situation. We had to vacate the trail adding more complication. Now we have to put it back into court since her mother is now in contempt of legal agreements.

Good news: Life is moving forward. My daughter is wonderful & worth everything. Our family is strong & focusing on years of good memories. My girlfriend has stuck by my side through all of this & been better than I could have hoped for.

The Great news: 2018 will be a bit calmer for me & life is improving. I'm very excited to wrap up the 2 projects I have left on my plate in order to start on this build again.

Even Better news: I have a large stock pile of parts that are ready to move forward with the build quickly when time permits. The newest part to ship out that I will receive by the end of the month is boxed up & shipping out this morning from overseas. I'm trying out Imgur in stead of photobucket for the first time, so hang tight until I get the photos hosted & linked properly. I'll take advise from anyone with experiance there.

This is one of the revisions of the Duel Element AMB Aero designed rear wing. There are only 3 places in the world that are licensed to make this. I wanted to revisions for upright mounting locations to align with the natural separation of the three rear panels (L&R turn signals & revers light panels). Additional this better aligns with the rear sub-frame mounts. The standard spacing aligns great with the rear frame rails since they are wider than the sub-frame mounts. I'm cutting most of the rear off at the sub-frame mounts & triangulating a structure between the chassis portion of the sub-frame mounts & the rear shock towers. with out any support this wing will bend the stock frame rails. Andrew discovered this with his Eclipse & Under Suzuki's S15 in the front. He worked with me describing some basic engineering solutions to avoid bending the frame. From there I have come up with a hand full of "designs" & I'm down to 2 solutions. When I complete the rear body work that is part of Andrew's design I will better know which solution I'm going to go with for accessibility of the trunk. Since the Z32 is a "hatchback" & the rear glass (plexi/lexan for me) is part of the trunk it is harder to have a small removable metal trunk that opens up access. There will be more on this later on down the road.

From there the production process was started. This is a true Motorsports grade build quality. They utilize prep-reg carbon, vacuum bagged, autoclave baked process for the best in strength to weight ratio. Here is the wing parts going into the autoclave.

Then this morning I received confirmation of shipping & a picture of the final product prior to being packaged!

For comparison sake here are some # vs the APR Gt 1000 rear wing:
              *APR 71" (1803.4mm or 5'11") wide vs AMB 2000mm (78.74 or 6'6-3/4") wide
              *APR 10" main cord & 4" secondary cord vs AMB 14" main cord & 8" secondary cord
              *APR max down force @ 160 mph = 1650# vs AMB max down force @ 160 mph = About 1 Ton (I have to look up is that is US 2000# or Metric 2240#)
              *APR max drag @ 160 mph = 448# vs AMB max drag @ 160 mph = I will have to look up my notes. I honestly don't recall the #. I only remember it being a good bit better than the APR unit on L/D.
              *APR cost = $2000 (rough "street price + shipping) vs AMB cost = a bit more lol + international shipping)
              *FWIW Andrew designed the newest APR wings (GT 1000 & GT 250, as well as verified the triple element APR unit that Jager & Professionally Awesome are using). The triple is basically the combination of the off the shelf 1000 & 250 together, IIRC.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/6H0hX"><a href="//imgur.com/6H0hX">Qfab Road Race Z32 300zxTT Unlimited TA Build</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks for looking & commenting. I will try to get a couple more updates out this month.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by induetime; 02-23-2018, 03:44 PM. Reason: Correct measuremants

Comment

FWIW, it's easy to see if your frame rails would have enough capacity to not bend with some simple hand calculations. Search cantilever beam, and make an assumption the wing load is at the center of the wing. You want to be about 30-40% below yield strength, and I'd assume the steel is like ~36 ksi yield to be conservative.

Bending stress is Moment*half height of frame rail / Moment area of inertia of frame rail (you can probably find a calculator for this).

I'd assume the rail is fully fixed at some location where it is "very well supported." Maybe around subframe?
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thanks for the advise Def. I will look certainly look into & apply it. I have not actual education in mechanical engineering. My experiences are broad but not very deep. I have calculator that I occasionally use at work that I'm going to run the #s through also. I was going off of Andrew's experience & advise.

Originally posted by Def View Post
                  FWIW, it's easy to see if your frame rails would have enough capacity to not bend with some simple hand calculations. Search cantilever beam, and make an assumption the wing load is at the center of the wing. You want to be about 30-40% below yield strength, and I'd assume the steel is like ~36 ksi yield to be conservative.

Bending stress is Moment*half height of frame rail / Moment area of inertia of frame rail (you can probably find a calculator for this).

I'd assume the rail is fully fixed at some location where it is "very well supported." Maybe around subframe?

Comment

That's lots of serious news, bud! I hope everything works out. My wife is actually a forensic psychologist and deals with custody evaluations in the court system all the time. That's some heavy stuff.

More importantly (joking), that wing is delicious!
                    Last edited by gills; 02-28-2018, 06:39 AM.
                    Core4 Motorsports
                    CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
                    S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

Yeah, it's been heavy, but there is a lot of live to live ahead & I would prefer to enjoy the rest of it. I have learned a lot & have grown even more. If your wife has any advise feel free to email me burghoutfamily@gmail.com

Originally posted by gills View Post
                      That's lots of serious news, bud! I hope everything works out. My wife is actually a forensic psychologist and deals with custody evaluations in the court system all the time. That's some heavy stuff and more often than not she mentions that the lawyers are usually ****.

More importantly (joking), that wing is delicious!

Comment

More Wing

Onto more delicious pics!

I couldn't help but un-box it at work. Fortunatly a hand full of "car guys" work for this company, including the owner (who use to race vintage Formula Atlantic I think), so it gets positive attention

If it fits, it ships!

These end plates are huge!!!

Parts & pieces arranged next to the living room couch for scale.

My little helper checking out the merchandise.

Many hands (even small ones) make for lite work. It was assembled fairly quickly & straight forward.

With out a way to actually mount it or shim it to level I at least set it on my street Z to see the size relation & check it out. I actually expected it to be a little wider, lol. The height is massive & will really draw attention (beyond being highly functional)

More to come later.....

Comment

AEM Infinity Update

New Update: AEM Infinity

I have actually had this setup since last year. I'm very fortunate that my "Local Tuner" is Tony Szirka of UMS Tuning, the Tech Steward of Nasa-AZ & Global Time Attack.

You may recognize is Blue Evo from Global Time Attack, AEM Infinity Ads, Fortune Auto Ads, etc.

Tony's Evo has undergone many development changes over the years including changing colors from Red to Grey to Blue. It is currently undergoing it's biggest development change with a big diet. Who nows what color it will be next time.

Tony is an all around Good Guy & I am fortunate to have known him since I started participating in NASA-AZ track days back in early 2000 many years ago. Tony is a wealth of knowledge & you will find him having conversations with anyone & everyone at the track.

The Z32 has duel mechanical 50mm TBs. I had been talking with Micah of 3MI Raching & one of the guys behind the Turn-In Concepts Subaru. Micah was also one of the Mechanical/Design engineers for the Roush Yates Ford GT that won the Lemans 24 hour in 2016. Micah strongly urged me to upgrade to DBW for future implementation of auto blip, traction control & other transmission related advantages, so I listened. It is a common practice to upgrade to 58mm or 60mm units that are available. I have some of the very first 58mm units form Z1 motor sports on my 500whp street Z car. The 58mm units were made in china & tolerances are not fantastic. The 60mm units are made by a friend about 2 hours south of me in Tucson, AZ. However they also have their challenges. I looked at Bosch's units & other Nissan TBs from the 350z, 370z & R35 GTR. I settled for the R35 GTR DBW TBs for a couple of reasons: There are a hand full of them available used for a very reasonable price. The seals that they use are designed for 500+ HP worth of boost from the factory, when other Nissan TBs are on NA motors. The R35 TBs are upgrade-able by boring out the stock or purchasing new billet housing s & transferring the electronics for $$$$. Either way I feel they were future proofed if my power out grew the diameter.

I choose the AEM Infinity over Motec M1, Haltech Elite, Adaptronic & ProEFI 112. ProEFI was/Is local & Jason (the owner) was part of the development team that created the AEM V1 back in the day). But their last box had many software bugs & some other funky ways of going about things. Andy Wyatt of Adaptronic is incredibly intelligent & provides excellent customer support, however there is not much representation in the USA. The older Haltech PS2000 is very easy to plug & play on the Z32 & I have done some street & dyno tuning on a couple cars over the years. Nothing special, other than it is what I am the most familiar with. However I don't believe that they support 2 DBW outputs. Motec M1 series seems to be as close to true motorsport grade as you can get before spending the big bucks super high end stuff. However their pricing is still on the higher end of my budget & I still have many more purchase to make. When I saw the update on Infinity that it can control duel DBW Throttle Bodies I reached out to Tony to discuss it & I liked the control that the Infinity had for what I wanted to accomplish. The only factor that Infinity does not have that I wanted was back pressure compensation table. We can monitor it, but we can not affect the tune based off of the reading. At least not yet, there may be future software updates to open this up.

Even though I have a couple of partnerships & resources to purchase the hardware a for a couple $ less I chose to go through Tony @ UMS. I desire to support the supporters & not be the guy that asks all of the questions to one shop then take their business else were. Additionally, as much as I can tune my self I intend to have Tony do the tuning & I will continue to tweek as the car progresses. Furthermore, Tony will be at every NASA-AZ event & every Global Time Attack event. If there is ever a challenge or problem that is beyond my ability or experience who better to have lend a hand than the tuner & the person you spent the money with.

Additionally I also have the flying lead harness & a couple more sensors. I have a an AIM digital logging dash display that will communicate via Can Bus. If the budget permits I want to sell the AIM dash & get the new AEM CD-7. I will have to wait to see what I have left over to spend once all is said & done.

That is about it for this update. Progress is still happening. It's looking like it will be around summer time before I get to start work on the chassis. There are still a few decisions to be made & regulations to be confirmed before I start cutting & welding. Thanks for reading, I always look forward to comments & suggestions.

Comment

A little July Update:

While shooting the breeze about my build, new thoughts, progress, etc with my buddy Eric at the shop space a short while back, he helped convince me that it will be more fun to drive it with in the next year than continue to build it for 2+ more years (at my snail's pace). With this we started to review the GTA "Limited" class rules & also look at NASA TT classing, a couple of Hill Climb events that local friends have & are running in. It appears that the chassis can fit into the "Limited" GTA classing without to much work, fortunately I had not started cutting it up to much. I need to address some specific measurements & direct intentions to confirm they are accepted, otherwise the Aerodynamics can easily be adapted & I came to an epiphany on a couple of things at lunch today (prompting me to give an update). Assuming all is acceptable or I adjust my design/plans as needed, that is the new plan "Limited Class"..... This certainly has it's value in the build budget, operate budget, class skill level/driving experience, build time line, etc.

One of the catalysts was Eric offering up one of his spare Evo8 full stock Brembo brake kits..... For FREE $0.99! There are a couple of places that I can purchase adapter brackets for an easy bolt on solution. I will be installing that kit on my street Z & then swapping the 332mm (13") Stoptech kit onto the race car. I have already leaned on this setup on before with a will weight street Z, so I feel confident that it will work well for my lighter track Z. All fo the consumable parts have been cryo treated some time ago as well.

Secondly, I had intended to convert the front suspension to a more straight forward standard duel A-Arm setup, simlar to what he MotoIQ R32 had done. However depending on the answers I get back about rule # 5 under Suspension for the Limited class I may have to adjust that plan. I woudl really LOVE to drop the weight of the front swan necks & get rid of the jacking. We will see, if need be I have a backup plan.
                            1. Suspension type changes are limited to OEM component transfer from donor car to complete an IRS conversion or vice versa. Components are to be as close to OEM geometry and position of the donor as possible. Donor components must come from a GTA eligible production vehicle.
                            The Z32 & R32 front suspension suffers from a bit of jacking. The first (& only currently) company to make an upper control arm that combats this is UAS in Australia. After seeing them for the first time online I realized what they did to get the movement without the slog & maintaining strength. I had thought about making my own, but with some of the custom pars I think I would have to machine, even making them my self they would be a bit expensive. UAS retails them for about $750 when they first came out, now they are down to about $600. I noticed on their facebook that they where having a sale fro something like $400AUD (about 300USD). Even with the international shipping it was well worth not spending the time to make them my self & also support the original company that designed/produced them. Since them GK Tech has been developing a set of FUCA that are similar to the old Group A Nissan R32 units. The GK Tech sell fro about $300 USD too. I figured that I could either use them on my "Street Z" or if needed I could use them on my track build.

One of my other shop mates Jon, has a hand full of very nice cars (350Zs-Track & Drift, R32 Skyline-sold, NSX-Show Car, R35, RX-&, Hondas, etc). One of the 350Zs (drift) is up for sale & it had damn near brand new Sparco Seats installed right after it was first purchased. There was a Sparco ERGO & a PRO 2000. We swapped out the new seats for a good used condition set laying around in the shop & Jon gave me a deal I couldn't pass up for the new Sparcos. I had an aluminum Kirkey for the drivers & former Bondurant Camaro's passenger Recaro reclinable seat. Jon just so happens to be about the exact same height & weight as me so they fit perfectly.

Eric also gave me a used 5-point harness for the passenger seat that is still with in its allowable years. The passenger beat I had was now expired & only a 4 point anyways. The Kirkey & Recaro seats with the old belt might make it over to the street Z. I already had a brand new Sabelt 6-point harness for the driver's side that is still in spec that I will keep there as well.

The last update comes in the form of power steering. The Z32 is a approaching 3 decades old now & most every part of the system leaks. I had purchase a good condition Toyota MR2 remote electric PS pump to get some of the weight backwards, some of the fluid away from the heat, etc. I will be selling that unit now. I have seen fluid in other vehicles catch fire, especially on header wrap. I'm not a fan of a car fire on the track or anywhere for that matter. No fluid = less weight, so I had researched simply de-powering the stock rack & removing the pump, lines, etc. With the down-force & wheel/tire size I'm planning on running, I was not a big fan of that either. I then looked into changing to a lighter rack that has a better ration for no power assist. Better closer, warmer... One well respected chassis setup specialist had given me the advise to not run an electric setup unless it is a true Motorsports grade unit. Those cost $1500+ & I had not planned for that in my budget & frankly don't have the $ to spend on it either. I had come across another individual that designs OEM level power steering systems for a living as his "day job" while also participating club racing much like all of us. I reached out to him & he was incredibly helpful over all. He gave me some insight that will help me spend less than $1500 & get the same level system with essentially the same parts, just home built. I have a small & limited background in micro controller from a very long time ago. Fortunately one of my day jobs R&D engineers is very much adapt to devices of those nature, is an actual engineer (I'm largely self taught with a hand full of certificates, not college degree in anything engineering). I had a good conversation with him about my thoughts & he was on board to lend a hand after work once I get things to that stage. I'm trying to do a little more research in EPS column assist units & which has more torque that your standard Econo-box cars (Prius, Saturn Vue, etc). Either way, I will be moving forward with an electric assisted column & changing out to a true manual rack & pinion setup.

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Working...
                            X