Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 - The real McCoy... I'm really not trying to copy def!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 - The real McCoy... I'm really not trying to copy def!!!

It's a little late, but enough action is happening in the garage that I feel it's time to start the 2011 thread. The list on the garage whiteboard is a little long, but most of the items are fairly easy tasks...

The first track day of the year will by May 8th and 9th at ORP, so I have until the week before to wrap up all of my work that I have planned. I'm focusing on suspension geometry, brakes, aero, and some misc repairs. I want to make sure and hit ORP, PR, PIR, and SRP this year... never been to Portland yet, so that's highest on the list of tracks to hit

I also was just offered a seat in a 1970 Datsun 510 for a 24 hour chump car race in July... pretty sure I'm doing it, so need to find myself a suit .

Laundry list:
    R32 diff with 4.6 Nismo R&P and 1.5 clutch type LSD - Done
    S14 rear subframe with Stance offset bushings
    S13 front drop spindles - Done
    Oil Cooler install - Done

Def style crash bar - parts are on their way
    Carbon fiber hood install - Done
    69" NRG wing install
    Front splitter

Recently added stuff, Defworks Wilwood brakes, HT-10 track pads, and ARP wheel studs.

Fitment behind the new wheels.

Went to install some fender braces and found out the that previous owner had foamed the frame rails... dope!

I got the oil cooler mounted this morning, ended up using 3 mounting points.

Should be fine as long as I don't run over any large objects! I'll be working on getting the Nismo sandwich plate (w/T-stat) in tonight if possible and routing of the lines.

Teaser of the new hood. Weight came in at just over 18lbs, not to shabby. more to come on this one after I figure out the location of the hood pins.
    Last edited by McCoy; 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM.
    -Monty

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
    Laundry list:
    S14 rear subframe with Stance offset bushings
    Vaguely familiar.

S13 front drop spindles
    Do some bumpsteer and steering axis inclination measurements with those suckers!

Oil Cooler install... serious this time!
    Yes, this is familiar.

Def style crash bar - parts are on their way
    Yes, getting very familiar...

Carbon fiber hood install - waiting on hood pins
    Familiar, but somehow more baller. DefSport's Board of Directors are a bit jealous.

69" NRG wing install
    Now we're getting back to a neighborhood I know very well.

Front splitter
    Sounds like something I've heard before... I wonder where that was...

Recently added stuff, Defworks Wilwood brakes, HT-10 track pads, and ARP wheel studs.
    Those brakes are the hotness... but I think we all know who they had their first romp in the sack with.

Looking good though. Curious to see how loud you find those HT-10s. People at the track still talk about how loud they were for me.
    Last edited by McCoy; 04-02-2011, 05:39 PM.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Do some bumpsteer and steering axis inclination measurements with those suckers!
      It'll probably be after the May event, but yes I would like to get this done as well.

Looking good though. Curious to see how loud you find those HT-10s. People at the track still talk about how loud they were for me.
      Hopefully I can bed them in properly with some hoosiers... most everyone else I know that run HT-10 don't squeal that bad.

So back to the garage... oil cooler install is 95% done. I just need to wrap the NPT fitting with teflon tape on the cooler and wrap the 10AN lines and secure them in a few spots.

The easiest way to get to the filter with the stock IM, I was afraid I was going to have to unhook some coolant lines, but guess not . I did find that the TPS sensor was loose (screws missing) and just laying beside the TB... hmm, might need to go digging for some spare screws.

Lines ran. I needed a 45 degree angle on the fitting closest to the firewall as a straight fitting was hitting the motor mount.

Done, not sure why I didn't do this beginning of last year as it was simple enough.
      -Monty

Comment

Looking good Monty. Should be fun to see further development.
        1990 S13, SR-swapped "Budget Baller" - gone down the road...

Comment

Any way you could flip the cooler to do the fittings at the top?

Or did you put them at the bottom to make cooler draining easier? It just strikes me that they would be more prone to getting his with something in the current configuration. You could also mount a small piece of sheet aluminum to protect it from track trash.

Comment

My fittings are down like that and they're above.the fender line by a bit. About even with the framerail and wa above the tension rod bracket. If you take out the cooler with something on trac you've likely got bigger problems like missing a corner of your car.

Comment

Andy, I have already wrapped the lines that are exposed to flying debri from the tires and plan to buy some abrassive resistant wrap from mcmaster to wrap all of the lines for added security. I am planning on adding a splitter that will also add some additional protection.

I figure if I went off hard enough to hit the splitter/bumper on that side it doesn't matter which direction the oil cooler lines are pointed, the cooler is going to take some damage. (I see Def beat me to this one already)
              -Monty

Comment

My other concern about the lines going down would be air.. will that not have air bubbles trapped in the top of it?
                Originally posted by SoSideways
                I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I figure if I went off hard enough to hit the splitter/bumper on that side it doesn't matter which direction the oil cooler lines are pointed, the cooler is going to take some damage. (I see Def beat me to this one already)
                  I think the splitter will add enough protection. I was more thinking about farming than actually taking the corner of the car off.

Plus, you see tons of crap on the track...some dude lost a license plate at VIR once. I was lucky enough to not hit it.

Comment

Matt, I agree there is some risk, but then again I'll have a 6hr drive to hopefully bleed out any air before I hit the track in May. Besides just def, there are plenty of others out there running this same configuration, so it can't be that bad.. can it?

Andy, I'm actually more concerned with a rock puncturing the oil cooler. I am looking for some SS mesh that I can protect the back side of the cooler with. I need to put in an order to Mcmaster soon, I better see what they have.
                    -Monty

Comment

Matt, I agree there is some risk, but then again I'll have a 6hr drive to hopefully bleed out any air before I hit the track in May. Besides just def, there are plenty of others out there running this same configuration, so it can't be that bad.. can it?
                      Lots of people run rear hood props...doesn't make it right, does it?

Andy, I'm actually more concerned with a rock puncturing the oil cooler. I am looking for some SS mesh that I can protect the back side of the cooler with. I need to put in an order to Mcmaster soon, I better see what they have.
                      I never gave much thought to the backside, honestly, and like the mesh idea.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
                        Lots of people run rear hood props...doesn't make it right, does it?
                        What... but isn't this where all the air excapes?!?

I never gave much thought to the backside, honestly, and like the mesh idea.
                        The local guy that runs our track events has pounded this one into my brain for the past couple of years...

Found what should work, $23 for a 12"x24" of SS mesh should be more than enough. P/N 85385T913 on mcmaster carr.
                        -Monty

Comment

Found what should work, $23 for a 12"x24" of SS mesh should be more than enough. P/N 85385T913 on mcmaster carr.
                          Looks good. Get Gaycob to calculate the amount of force needed to break 0.047" diameter 304.

Comment

Just get some cheap hardware cloth/chicken wire from home depot. Doesn't need to be SS.

The cooler will bleed itself at moderate flow, and once it's bled its bled.

Comment

Other things already done to the car since last year was the install of the R32 rear end with it's factor 1.5 way LSD and the 4.6 R&P. Got this from logr last year and have yet to drive the car since the install. I wanted a 4.3, but am willing to try the 4.6.

The rebuilt rack I got 2 years ago leaks just as bad as the original did... nice. Picked up a rebuilt one off zilvia that is NOT supposed to leak.

Also, my clutch catches at the floor now... noticed this the last time I pulled the car out of the garage. Put the car in gear and it left a pair of black marks in my garage. Got a new clutch master and slave cylinder on the way as I have no idea how old these are and their cheap!
                              -Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X