Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hai1206vn View Post
    another request for motor's weight
    No prob, Ha ha. Glad I could help out... especially since I'm a newb here!

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
      SR transmission with little to no oil or shifter (mounting plate included), but with throw out bearing and clutch fork; weighs 93.8 lbs consistently. I have a digital scale that calibrates it self every time, and I did it 5 times with the same result every time. The tranny was completely on the scale; it was not touching the ground or myself in any way.
      Sounds about right... that thing is a heavy SOB.

Kinda sucks that something like an E36 M3 trans which can probably handle just as much power (or more) weighs like 55 lbs it feels like. Seriously lightweight.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I think the power handling of SR transmissions is kinda biased from dumb drivers, lol. I put down about 350 lb-ft of tq to the wheels, and at the drag strip I launch at 7k and I've done over 400 passes (have the bag of time slips to prove it, lol). Stock tranny, stock axles, sometimes a VLSD, others a KAAZ 1.5 way. And I have NEVER broken anything. I will stick with the stock SR trans until it does break. Hoping to have over 400 lb-ft of tq with my new setup, so we'll see!

That was not arguing the m3 tranny thing you posted or anything, just popped into my head. Ha ha. Does suck that it has to weigh that much though!

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

98lbs? I thought it was closer to 75?

Huh my ka trans don't feel that heavy. They suppose to be the exact same right? I mean other then bolt patterns and minor stuff like that.

~Alex

Comment

^ KA tranny feels about the same as a diff pumpkin, which weighs ~70lbs on UPS scale. So SR tranny is heavier? Weird, since they both have model # FS5W71C.

Stock tranny, stock axles, sometimes a VLSD, others a KAAZ 1.5 way. And I have NEVER broken anything.
            Street tires or drag slicks?

Comment

^His vid said 255 MT's IIRC

Comment

^ KA tranny feels about the same as a diff pumpkin, which weighs ~70lbs on UPS scale. So SR tranny is heavier? Weird, since they both have model # FS5W71C.
                When I pull the KA out of the Convertible, I'll weight that tranny as well, lol.

Street tires or drag slicks?
                26x8.5x15 Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks running 13 psi of tire pressure (warm). 60' are 1.61 to 1.65 on avg. Trying to get in the 1.5s or even 1.4s, but my lighter flywheel and lack of boost off the line is hurting me, lol.

Comment

Here's a little burnout video I did for fun (getting rid of some old tires I had, lol). Too bad it was a windy day...

Second gear btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8oss1RAqOQ

Comment

I think the power handling of SR transmissions is kinda biased from dumb drivers, lol. I put down about 350 lb-ft of tq to the wheels, and at the drag strip I launch at 7k and I've done over 400 passes (have the bag of time slips to prove it, lol). Stock tranny, stock axles, sometimes a VLSD, others a KAAZ 1.5 way. And I have NEVER broken anything. I will stick with the stock SR trans until it does break. Hoping to have over 400 lb-ft of tq with my new setup, so we'll see!

That was not arguing the m3 tranny thing you posted or anything, just popped into my head. Ha ha. Does suck that it has to weigh that much though!

Keep in mind that 55 lb tranny survives just fine behind a 3.2 L I6 even when turbo'd. 500-600 ft lbs of tq at the wheels isn't that uncommon for them.

Comment

I agree, that's a awesome tranny... can't say the same for the SMG transmissions though. My buddy Russel went through 3 of them in 60k miles... he sold the car. lol

Comment

now let me remind you all that a m22 "rock crusher" trans that lives happily behind 750lb/ft from bigblocks and weighs about 50lbs...

I'm not convinced that the SR tranny is that heavy though, (i got a couple 5spds laying next door I'll have to weigh one now thanks)

BTW bathroom scales suck DEF my bathroom scale says I weigh ~180 I'm a little over 200lbs *shrug* my GF loves it though
                        I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

I'll weigh some known weights on it to see how much it is off. Then I can plot it in excel and use the equation of the line to see how much the SR tranny is, lol. I have two SR trans in my garage, I'll weigh the other one as well.

Comment

Well, I used two 15 lbs dumb bells I had laying around. Scale said 15.2 for one and 30.4 for the pair consistently. Using the linear equation: Scale weight/1.0133 = actual weight I got that the tranny was not 93.8 lbs, but 92.6 lbs, lol. I'm sure that's still not exact, but I think it's still in the ballpark. I'll measure both of my trannys again just for the hell of it.

Comment

S13 Redtop SR head fully assembled minus valve cover is 57.2 lbs according to my scale or 56.45 lbs according to the equation... lol. This was all OEM stuff btw, not my head with titanium parts etc. It's a spare head I'm selling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                                now let me remind you all that a m22 "rock crusher" trans that lives happily behind 750lb/ft from bigblocks and weighs about 50lbs...

I'm not convinced that the SR tranny is that heavy though, (i got a couple 5spds laying next door I'll have to weigh one now thanks)

BTW bathroom scales suck DEF my bathroom scale says I weigh ~180 I'm a little over 200lbs *shrug* my GF loves it though
                                The little spring scale ones suck, but the load cells ones (electronic) usually aren't that far off. At least enough to matter for our purposes. If their accuracy is that far off they usually aren't that repeatable and it shows up.

If your scale is off by 20 lbs maybe you broke it with your fat ass son...

Comment

Working...
                                X