2_Liter_Turbo's 1992 240SX Coupe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
    I've been running miata batts for 4 years now -- only had to replace one.
    Miata battery has only 370 CCA unless you buy American Eagle or WestCo.

For me, I left the car parked for a month, my batter had low voltage and wasn't able to start the car..

So I decided to relocate it with Standard sized battery..

Comment

• Yeah, that's fair. I start my car once every week or two at least. Only times I've had problems was in winter when I parked the car outside.

Comment

• Mine used to have a riding lawnmower battery in it. Expected life cycle was only one year, so I replaced it with an Odyssey PC925 and relocated it to the back, using welding cable and Bussman breakers.

2_liter regarding your question about the drag strip, I am not opposed to drag racing it at Pacific. With the Z32 trans, Exedy triple disc, steel one piece driveline and Kaaz rear end it should be able to handle it. The only weak point would be the rear axles I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seraphim38 View Post
          looks good.

Gonna heat wrap that master cylinder?

My compliments for getting your intercooler piping to fit with your battery. I moved mine to the hatch area a year ago because it was too tight.

Amazed you are still running the side feed injectors. I am running the same boost controller, wired into my Power FC.
          I have a shield for it that's not in atm. It will be soon though, lol. I want to get a turbo blanket as well. Injectors are on the list along with a new rail to upgrade. These are the Nismo/Tomei 740cc injectors. A tad small, but will work for now. Yeah, the Mac valves are nice and cheap. Mine is wired to the AEM. As stated later, it's a miata battery. It works well enough, lol. Been running it for about 4-5 years (on battery 3, ha ha). If you leave them without running for long periods of time they die, but that's what 3 year replacement warranties are for

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
          Miata batt turned sideways I think. Cheap and easy and more or less fits in the battery tray.

Congrats Steve, I hope you're doing pulling that motor out
          Lol, thanks, it'll have to come out for the S14 switch, but hopefully not before then!

Originally posted by K_style View Post
          Yes, Miata battery fits with IC pipe if you put it in vertical.

But not recommended.. it just doesn't have much juice..
          It has enough juice for driving duties and starting on normal temp days. It's not the best during the winter, although I've made it when the car was still my DD

Originally posted by Seraphim38 View Post

2_liter regarding your question about the drag strip, I am not opposed to drag racing it at Pacific. With the Z32 trans, Exedy triple disc, steel one piece driveline and Kaaz rear end it should be able to handle it. The only weak point would be the rear axles I guess.
          I haven't had any issues at all with just the 334wtq (lots of passes) on the stock tranny and axles, but after a Z32 trans, the axles will definitely be the weakest link, ha ha. That's why I have a few sets If you ever run it at the strip, let me know what you do.

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
          96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

• I meant "done pulling that motor out"

Hope you can just drive it now.

Comment

• I know, that's what I was referring to. I hope I'm finished pulling the motor out (besides when i swap it over to the S14) as well! I already have to relearn how to drive the thing, lol. I'm going to be so slow for awhile...

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

• Oh right right, spaced chassis swap.

Comment

• Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                  Oh right right, spaced chassis swap.
                  Ha ha, no worries man. Hopefully going to start it tonight after work.

Comment

• Well started it up. Built good oil pressure right away. Ran real rough (and lean) and it turns out, the fuel lines on the tank are old and cracked, lol. Gas all over the floor (a lot). So now I need to clean it up, and install new fuel lines, ha ha. Damn! Not a horrible thing though I guess. No coolant or oil leaks at all, so that's always a plus. Warmed it up to about 170**F holding it at 2000rpm, then let it idle, and it wasn't very happy. After I get the fuel lines put in and double check shims, then I'll start it up again. Maybe tomorrow...

Comment

• Big congratulations on getting it started.

Mine is getting really close to completion. The downpipe custom fabrication and integration of the dump tube is done.

We got all custom fabricated stainless braided lines for the boost controller and wastegate, so that none of the boost lines are rubber. The wiring for the boost controller has to be finished, a bracket for the oil catch can, and a hose installed for the IACV. Then it's pretty well done other than a few very small finishing touches.

And for the observant person, they will see that an exhaust v-band says "OBX" on it. I needed a new v-band because my old one died and it was the only quick, available one sitting on the shelf as a spare. I am philisophically opposed to using any cheap eBay knock off parts, and this is absolutely the only cheap part under the hood. Yes, it bugs me and I will have to change it due to my own OCD.

Comment

• Same routing as I for the WG return, but mine looks like crap, ha ha. I'll be getting it redone when I swap everything over to the S14. I still have a lot of work to do on mine to get it clean looking. At this point, I just want the thing to run! My S13 is a pile, but when I swap over to the S14, EVERYTHING will be done cleanly, even if it takes me awhile...

And I'm in the same boat, I hate cheap chinese parts. I'm slowly cycling out all the cheap stuff as I go. When I go to the S14, the mishimoto radiator (which is a POS btw) is going away... lol.

When I was in college, I didn't have a lot of extra cash to spend, so I went cheap. Regret every cheap part, as everything was crap. It's a slow process to replace everything though...

Comment

• yeah, I look at it like, if you install a cheap part you have to plan to replace it in a year or two. When I replace a part I don't want to have to deal with it again, so I install a quality part and forget it.

What's also different for me is that I don't have 3 cars; this is my only personal vehicle. Sure we have a family/kid hauler SUV that I share with my wife who is a stay at home mother, but I would prefer not to take what I think of as her car.

Comment

• Yeah, I got ya. I have a couple cars to switch it up in case one is down for one reason or another. After having multiple cars, I could never go back to just one!

Comment

• So do you think you are going to head to PSI on Friday or Saturday? I might target driving down there on Friday, either in the car or rent a flatbed and truck.

I used to have a race bike that was street legal, and I would use it as another primary vehicle but I sold it to continue dumping money into my S13. I really want to buy another track bike that I could use in a pinch on the street, but it's cold and yucky here right now. In the past I have either had a truck to use for hauling and as a backup vehicle, but I sold it a while ago. It's also nice to have a Bronco, Subaru or some 4x4 for a snow / thrashing vehicle, but I currently don't have one. Maybe I will buy one prior to next winter.

Comment

• If it's on Friday afternoon, I might be able to make it. I'm tied up on Saturday until around 5 or so. Give me a heads up on what you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X